PDA

View Full Version : Rosewood Antique Table

estelle
27-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Here's hoping some JT will know what to do here...My parents have this Antique Rosewood French Polished table.Some years ago my Mother put down a teapot on a table mat but it burned right through & left a very very nasty burn/ring mark on the beautiful table.Would anyone know how this could be brought back to it's original beauty? They really don't want to get it stripped.I just know there will be some fantastic JT out there that will tell me to do something simple...Here's Hoping...Thanks aMill...Estelle...

estelle
30-11-2010, 07:34 PM
please bump...here's hoping :(

sparkwell
02-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Make a paste out of some smelly cigarette butts and water and apply to the burn ring, it does work honestly! but it might depend on how deep the ring is....

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
02-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I agree with sparkwell except we used to use cigar ash. I remember my mother lighting a big fat cigar (and nearly choking as she took a couple of drags to get it lit) then leaving it on the edge of the ashtray to burn through. You then collect the ash and mix with a litle water to make a paste and apply to the rings. Topps furniture polish do a tube of stuff called ring-away and its a paste that you apply. Only problen is if the surface is that high gloss piano finish, it can be marked below the varnish and all the pastes in the world won't get to it. You are then into fine sanding and repolishing (is it worth it? depends on value of furniture).
Another solution is to put ornaments strategically placed on little lace doileys if necessary--reckon that is how all our grannies coped with hiding damage to the good furniture in the 'parlour'. cheers, Eibhlin.

estelle
02-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Ye both are so good & I appreciate it.I'm off the fags two years (Is this my excuse to go back on them!!! Only joking...I know plenty of smokers!)
I will try it out over the weekend & let ye know.Thanks again...
Estelle...