PDA

View Full Version : patio area and plants

superkaytee
25-03-2011, 11:32 AM
does anyone have an idea where i could get some bedding plants/bushes or small flowers for free or for very little money. im building a patio are for my mam for mothers day and i have an area at the back of it that looks a little bare so thought i could spruce it up with a small rockery(to take up space) and add a few plants. however the budget is now tight as i bought a couple of bags of decorative stones which were quite pricey at the garden centre.

ive looked online at garden centres but each plant is almost 5 EURO.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

will add some pics soon of my project!

Bootss
26-03-2011, 03:09 PM
What about getting some summer seeds instead, they won't cost alot! How is the decking coming along

Athy55
26-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Have you a HOMEBASE store near you? They sell off plants that look 'under the weather' at very good prices and with a little TLC they come on beautiful. I got some in Carlow store recently and they've come on great. Athy55

TickTock
26-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Yes, Woodies and B & Q also have an 'intensive care unit' in the garden section for sad and sick plants, mostly they just need to be watered and replanted. I always check 'em out. They sell at half price or less.

superkaytee
26-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Hi Bootss, the decking turned out fab, have it all sanded down and have coated it with a wood stain. looks brand new!!Thanks so much. will post a pic here this week.

will try the local b&Q and woodies and see what they have tomorrow.

Leahsmam
27-03-2011, 08:11 PM
hi id go with the seeds. in some of the 2 euro or eurprice shops you can get two packs of seeds for about 3 euro. aldi also had seeds a while ago for about 79 cent

Leahsmam
27-03-2011, 08:16 PM
sorry just seen that you wanted them for mothers day, seeds wouldnt grow that quick, shop around.

nannyplum
03-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Hi there,

might be a little late now, but they sell shrubs, fruit bushes and roses now in the 2 Euro shops and also in our local Heatons for 3 Euros, I got two lovely shrubs last year from Heatons, they turned out super well and already had some green on them this year.