PDA

View Full Version : How to paint wooden fire surround

Philomena6196
20-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Hi guys
Not very good at DIY or painting but my house needs a revamp. I live in a rented house so its important i get it right or i'll be in trouble :)

The fire surround is mahogany, and i want it cream, it looks varnished but its not shiny so maybe thats just the colour

what kind of paint should i use and can i put it straight on? I was thinking a spray would be safer as i'm not very good at painting, this would give me a better finish?

Any tips?

Leo1
20-05-2011, 03:17 PM
I have no advice to offer on how to paint but you should check with your landlord that he is ok with it being done. I wouldn't be impressed if someone painted my mahogany fireplace white!!

Philomena6196
20-05-2011, 03:41 PM
I have no advice to offer on how to paint but you should check with your landlord that he is ok with it being done. I wouldn't be impressed if someone painted my mahogany fireplace white!!

Believe me anything i do will be an improvement the house in a bad state i already gave him new flooring and new kitchen as well as a complete redecoration and colour scheme all fixtures fittings curtains lampshades etc all free of charge and he was happy when he saw it. The house has been rented out since the day it was bought they are very easy going once the rent is paid. Did all that When times werent so hard of course :(

Mahogany sounds expensive but it not real its the cheap stuff as was the laminate grey kitchen yuck!

Thanks though I mite check with him just in case!

Scrabble
20-05-2011, 05:31 PM
My only advice would be to be careful of the type of paint you choose. Because its a fireplace the paint just might bubble up if it gets hot. There are different types of paint and sprays and they should tell you if they are suitable at certain temps.
Regards
Scrabble