PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a work table

Marshmallow
24-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Folks, looking for help on how to strip a writing bureau. Pine timer that I need to strip and have to deal with woodworm, but don't know how to do either. Any tips would be gratefully accepted.

amybaby
26-05-2011, 10:59 PM
hi,
not sure if this will help.
i stripped and treated an old varnished writing bureau a good few years ago. i think it's oak, but the principle would still be the same i'm sure.
i used a commercial stripper for wood. can't remember the name as i was in the uk at the time, and also bought a wood worm treatment solution. you should be able to get this stuff in diy shops.
as far as i can recall, i had to apply the stripper and wait a while, then began the verrrry tedious task of stripping the old varnish off with a scraper. when it was done it had to be cleaned with spirits completely and then sanded and resanded working from course to fine sanding. working outdoors might be a good idea as it's a dirty and dusty job.
i finished the bureau with beeswax which nourished the wood and showed off the natural grain.
although it was hard work as i had never attempted anything like that, i was, and still am very happy with the outcome. it turned an ugly tacky varnished lump into a beautiful piece of furniture that is a joy to look at and still admired by everyone who sees it.
best of luck with your project. :)

Marshmallow
27-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Many thanks for the help, I am going off to buy the type of products you listed and hope to make a start next week. Will put up photos when completed. Thank You.

lizzyd66
03-07-2012, 08:53 PM
A bit late on this one but if you are intending to paint it you could use annie sloan chalk paint. treat woodworm and give a light sand you could paint straight away with that paint. Some lovely colours and easy to use.

Marshmallow
03-07-2012, 11:04 PM
thanks lizzy for the help. We completely restored the writing bureau and my daughter has used it since September last. I must put up some photos. Regards