PDA

View Full Version : Waste Paper Log Maker

buffy
05-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Can anyone tell me if you can buy these in this country??I know years ago on the late late a fella was starting up a company to sell them.But I can only find them in the UK and some of them companies wont post to Ireland.You make your
own briquettes out of newspaper.

jumblelover
05-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Can anyone tell me if you can buy these in this country??I know years ago on the late late a fella was starting up a company to sell them.But I can only find them in the UK and some of them companies wont post to Ireland.You make your

I haven't seen them for years but I may be able to get my hands on one for you. The person who used to have one is away on holidays and I will ask them on their return. Not promising anything. I will post back here if I have any luck.

buffy
05-09-2006, 08:15 PM
that would be great thanks very much for the reply.

Bunty
05-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Buffy, I'm wondering about making briquettes with a bailer?? I saw somebody years ago making a sort of briquette, using milk cartons packed with wet newspaper, it appears they were great to give out heat (not the plastic milk bottles)
B.
I love looking at this site i'm in my 60ies & certainly rem. many forms of recycling, some I hated especially when parcels came from America & I had to wear the recycled dresses! Oh boy.
I am going to post some of my memories to the 'General topic' section..

cathy
06-09-2006, 06:54 AM
if you ring the green party head office in swords they will know?
cathy

mq61
06-09-2006, 07:07 AM
Hi bunty
I'm very curious about the idea of making briquettes from old newspapers and milk cartons, i have a solid fuel burner and it eats wood!!! i wonder is there a web site that would show you how to make these briquettes.
If anyone has any more information on this process it would be great. Thanks bunty for the idea.
cheers M.

buffy
06-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Hi bunty
I'm very curious about the idea of making briquettes from old newspapers and milk cartons, i have a solid fuel burner and it eats wood!!! i wonder is there a web site that would show you how to make these briquettes.
If anyone has any more information on this process it would be great. Thanks bunty for the idea.
cheers M.

http://www.newdawnengineering.com/website/stove/firecube/

mq61
06-09-2006, 09:40 AM
thanks buffy...sounds a bit more tricky than i'd hoped..still i might give it a shot it would be great if it worked out...thanks again. This is a great site...jumbletown...saved so much money and met and spoke to some wonderful people..long may it last.
M

Pearl
06-09-2006, 10:25 AM

Were you thinking about that?
http://www.ecoshop.ie/search.asp?pg=1&stext=Paper%20Log%20Maker&stype=exact

mq61
06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
that is fantastic that is exactly what i was thinking of, and not too expensive either, thanks for that. that will keep us busy on the cold winter nights!!
M

Patience
06-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Terrific website Pearl. Thanks very much for posting it.

buffy
06-09-2006, 04:34 PM
my god.....5mins up the road.I was going all over the world on the net trying to get one.Pearl you are a genius.

jumblelover
06-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Give me till Monday and you might get one for free !

buffy
06-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Give me till Monday and you might get one for free !
ok great thanks very much.

cathy
07-09-2006, 08:50 AM
I heard they take 6 months to dry out?
Better to just roll em up and throw them in?
cathy

Bunty
07-09-2006, 09:33 AM
I've been following u'r briquette making, this sounds like the lady who used the milk cartons! I think she probably used the carton as a mould & whatever was in the carton itself, helped the burning process. Best of Luck. B.

Pearl
07-09-2006, 09:44 AM
If you all enjoyed the log maker, here is another type... now you can choose which one you like the most. :)
http://cgi.ebay.ie/LogMaker-recycle-waste-paper-Log-Maker-WATCH-the-Film-c_W0QQitemZ200022840073QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38220QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Patience
07-09-2006, 10:36 AM
I presume that the actual paper briquettes would burn for a while rather than throwing paper straight into the fire Cathy. I'm not sure, but I'd like to clarify this as I'd like a paper briquette machine myself.

cathy
07-09-2006, 12:41 PM
unless you use another fule with it ,its not the best.
Theres not enough air to burn paper when in brickette.
Would recommend mixing wax, like old candels with the paper.This would encourage it burn better?
Just an idea.

jumblelover
09-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi buffy

I have got that for you. I posted it as a new thread in the The Home - Misc. section with a photo - you have first call on it. PM me your number and we can organise delivery.

See here: http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=2643

jumblelover

KARAOKE
09-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi to all that are interested in the briquette press.

Someone mentioned they saw it on the late late show,
WELL I hate to say it now but i was that Soldier.
This was something that i saw on the then BBC's Tomorrows World Programm.
From there i went on to contact the Inventor whom gave me permission to have them manufactured here in Ireland.(OOP'S BIG MISTAKE}. The truth of these items are they do work but so must you (very hard). You also need a 40 Gallon Drum 1/2 full of water, a mountain of waste paper, a warm room to allow them to dry for several days and then they burn for approx 10 minutes. An eventful but COSTLY venture for me but I would rather buy a bale of briquette's.

Best of luck to all who tries.

gabbie
05-06-2008, 03:01 PM
funny thing I spent all day yesterday looking for just that, I was beginning to think I imagined the whole thing. I saw it on the net a couple years ago but lost the addy.It seems a great gadget for disposing of waste paper, I'm in Limerick if anyone local has one to give away,
Thanks in anticipation, ooops just saw your reply Karaoke twas too good to be true I appreciate your honesty it wouldnt be much use for my paltry few newspapers.
G

Chris P
05-06-2008, 03:05 PM
funny thing I spent all day yesterday looking for just that, I was beginning to think I imagined the whole thing. I saw it on the net a couple years ago but lost the addy.It seems a great gadget for disposing of waste paper, I'm in Limerick if anyone local has one to give away,
Thanks in anticipation,
G
Hi gabbie,

Make sure to put a post for a paper-log maker in the Wanted forum at the bottom of the Home Page. You just might get lucky!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Bettybooboopbedoop
12-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Do you know, these gadgets will still be in use in 20 years time, i'd say. However, i remember my mothers own version when we were growing up. She used to collect all the dust and small bits of coal before filling the bunker and wet them, then she three quarter filled the empty milk cartons or similar containers and when she set the fire she used to put this to the back of the fire. My god they used to set solid and burned for hours, and the hot water was a plenty. The things we do...

Chris P
12-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Do you know, these gadgets will still be in use in 20 years time, i'd say. However, i remember my mothers own version when we were growing up. She used to collect all the dust and small bits of coal before filling the bunker and wet them, then she three quarter filled the empty milk cartons or similar containers and when she set the fire she used to put this to the back of the fire. My god they used to set solid and burned for hours, and the hot water was a plenty. The things we do...
Ingenious!

misstake
12-06-2008, 11:32 AM
if you use slack instead of coal and your old washing up water it holds the slack together to make a briquette in the milk carton It really works lasts for hours and if you put it on the fire at night it will burn all night
i know i used it before the smokeless coal came in now i cant use the slack anymore

happiness
12-08-2008, 10:56 PM
my husband made them years ago but he got an old rectangle baking tin.
any old newspapers he would put and leave in water for a day or two and then pack them in to tin and then he would put a brick on top to weigh it down in the tin so when they dry he take them out and let them dry like turf!
kind regards

Bettybooboopbedoop
12-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Isn't it gas, the things we get up to. These days i just put the newspapers into the compost. I suppose it's the lazy way out, but i get some great compost. In our old house we needed to get as much heat as possible from the fire as there was practically no insulation. I'm glad to say the new house (council) has come a long way. We spent 20 years in a freezing house and now if we try to burn coal, as we did the week after we moved in, we had to open windows and doors and take off our jumpers. Good insulation makes it easy to heat as all we burn now is timber and turf. Awww the smell of the turf. Kilk might save me a bit from the bog.

zuess
14-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi Oxendales have one im not sure of the price but it comes with a free can crusher check www.oxendales.ie

Bettybooboopbedoop
14-08-2008, 11:02 AM
The link below is the page it's on.

http://www.oxendales.ie/productcache/OXI/productwindow/11087136-primary-2-sz_asc.html.gz

Price €47.49
Seems a bit pricey, I'd say they're around cheaper than that.

erica
14-08-2008, 10:09 PM
When I was a child, the large cinders from the heap of coal ash at the end of the garden would be gathered up, put in a basket, washed thoroughly, drained and put on the fire. We had a big open grate, with hobs on either side. When the cinders lit, they just glowed for hours and the heat was fantastic!

tudlytops
15-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Have a look on Ebay, I love ebay.

Even when they say they don't post to ireland I always ask nicelly and they have always ended up saying yes.

And if the item comes from the US but is less then €50 you don't pay tax.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paper-Log-Maker-recycle-your-waste-paper-Full-Metal_W0QQitemZ170250067745QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170250067745&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

newstemp
16-08-2008, 02:29 PM
The Paper Log Maker is readily available on Ebay.ie for sale now and auction.

http://search.ebay.ie/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=17&catref=C6&from=R40&satitle=paper+log+maker&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&floc=1&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=17%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

(when making a search for maximum results select the worldwide option at the left hand side).

The webpage listed by Buffy is very interesting,
http://www.newdawnengineering.com/website/stove/firecube/

Drying of the briquettes looks challenging in cloudy/wet conditions. The website mentions solar heating under a simple cover. How about inside an upturned ventilated black plastic water tank ?

DH

zuess
16-08-2008, 11:04 PM
The link below is the page it's on.

http://www.oxendales.ie/productcache/OXI/productwindow/11087136-primary-2-sz_asc.html.gz

Price €47.49
Seems a bit pricey, I'd say they're around cheaper than that.

You get a free can crusher lol

biker chick
16-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Just amazing,as i just might buy one great idea!

newstemp
17-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Already have two can crushers, a left one and a right one :)

bluecurlygirl
25-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Yes, I know they sell everything. But I am thinking of buying one of these on ebay as well as a can crusher so I can get even more stuff into my green bin without making trips to the recycling center with my cans. Sort of defeats the purpose wasting petrol!

mgbnut
29-09-2008, 03:22 PM
i seen somthing similar to what your looking for i think it was in the betterware cataloge

Rufus Fornow
01-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Re rolling them up and throwing them in...I did something quite like this for years: fold newspapers in half, then half again (lengthways) to make a strip about 10" wide; roll em up to make a tube 10" long by 3or 4" thick ( about 4 newspapers in each one.) Tie up the rolls with a piece of string about 2" from each end - tie 'em tight!

Soak em in soapy water - your used bathwater (or washing up water, if it's not too dirty) is fine. They will float at first cos of trapped air. You can push 'em down or just wait for them to sink. When they are soaked,squeeze the heavy wet out of them, use an old towel, or just step on them somewhere where the water can run away. (this is what the "briquette maker" does!) Stack them somewhere to dry. If you have a glasshouse or conservatory, that's ideal. Otherwise, a shed window or your spare room windowsill (put something underneath to soak up the wet!) - anywhere dry and out of the way.

It used to take a couple of weeks at most to dry out and they were BRILLIANT fuel - burned for hours, put out loads of heat. The only reason I don't do them any more is cos I'm on the commuting treadmill - I spend all my time in the car these days and you can't make them there (can't burn them there either!)

They sound complicated, but aren't. They take hardly any time. Kids love to help making them too. By the way, a friend of mine bought the briquette-maker thingy around the same time. Only used it a couple of times, cos it was such a palaver. But he agreed my logs were better, easier, burnt better than his briquettes and cost ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Hope this is of interest.

finnen
26-03-2009, 10:25 PM
a few years ago atlantic home care had them ,perhaps if they had a request they might be able to get you one

BCD
26-03-2009, 11:02 PM
hey.. they have them in argos 30euro..current catalogue pg 87 no9..

simonc46
27-03-2009, 06:06 AM
argos now stock them simon

Siv
31-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Website Ecostore,based in Cork about E30 bought one for my Dad for Christmas already burnin the logs!brilliant service ordered it few days before Christmas and delivered after 2days for E5 delivery fee!hope this helps

nenomarie
31-03-2009, 09:32 PM
hi, my mum was one of the original paper briquette bailers! my dad bought endless newspapers so she thought the bailer was a great idea. she made them for years and i remember our shed always full of them. yes, they took forever(months) to dry out, but the reason she gave it up in the end was because of the effort involved in really pressing them down, especially if you have a lot to do! if only there had been a hydraulic one!

bluecurlygirl
31-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Why would you spend money on a briquette maker when you can do it manually? Follow the instructions above, keep the money in your pocket and reduce the amount of energy put into making these things..... just an idea.

Milky_moo
13-05-2009, 02:27 PM
HI - If anyone needs newspapers for anything - just let me know!!! I run a free newspaper in Wexford Town, and always have plenty in the archives!

Woodlawn
07-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I am thinking of buying a bailer. Besides newspaper what else can you use. I have a number of bags of old school books can these be used

Drea
06-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I bought a metal press from Argos a while ago (to make rectangular logs out of recycled newspaper to use in a fire pit). I've made a few and tried to burn two of them - no luck - just smoke! Any tips from someone who got it right, please!? (Or did I just fall for an dud?)

Eco_Friendly
06-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi ya.

Firstly you need to steep the newspaper in water for a few days (the longer the better) ie. completely immersed in water. Then it will go into a pulp and no longer look like paper. This is when it's ready to be pressed. Once in the press it should remain in the press for at least 6 hours before removing it from the press with weights on top of it. Once removed it should be dried out thoroughly. 100% can take up to two weeks.

This method only really works if you have several presses and spend a while at it each day to get a "stock" of blocks. It takes quiet some time and effort and planning and patience.

Once they are fully dried they give off tremendous heat and last ages and actually give off little to no ash.

It sounds to me like yours either wern't soaked for long enough or were still damp when you tried to light them.

reebok
06-10-2009, 08:00 PM
hi,
i'm sure you probably did, but just checking, did you let the logs dry out REALLY thoroughly before trying to burn them?
I looked in to making these paper logs extensively on the internet a couple of years back, and I remember people saying that they worked great... but took an awful lot of drying time. (More than I would have expected).
If you google paper logs, and other variations on that phrase, you should find plenty of peoples experiences and reviews that might help you out.

I ended up making some myself using a really simple method of rolling papers tightly, until I got a firelog sized bundle. They worked well - burned for an hour - but I only really used them mixed in with other fuel, to bulk it out.

good luck!

mw100860
06-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi, just got one yesterday in Argos, page 850 in new catalogue, under outdoor heating, cost E28.99

coffeycase
07-10-2009, 09:06 AM
There was one on the paper a few months ago
It was on the Irish Daily Star for E37.90 inc P&P
Size 10x4x4

phone 1890-719868 quote ST242
or order online www.markettown.ie/thestar

Drea
07-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks, all! I didn't leave the logs in the press for six hours (tried to make about 6 out of a bucket full of paper) and could probably leave the paper in the water for a bit longer. Will keep on trying to get it right - I have boxes of newspaper saved up for this money saving operation!! I suppose drying the logs on the rads will also help them dry out quicker. I will keep you posted on how I get on with them... Thanks again for the advice!

hipperman
08-10-2009, 01:47 AM

I bought mine in B&Q Derry,£20, though as you say they wont post them to the Rep ...but they will order them in and ring you when they arrive for you to collect. I think its a good little thing though a bit fiddly and the brickettes take a long time to dry but it works, just have a pair or ten of marigolds gloves as its a bit messy. It dosnt take long to press if ya put the pulped paper in compacted in the corners, a few squeezes thats it, then its drying time...zzzzzzzzzzz, handy if ya go a few hrs spare and not in a hurry to burn them, I think worth the effort.

MuddyWitch
08-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Now I know it's supposed to rain more in the Emerald Isle than here in England, (though after the last three Summers I'm not so sure!), but my logs dry in about a week.

I put them on racks in my shed, turning them a couple of times. In the Winter I put the racks in the polytunnel, which helps them dry a bit quicker. (the racks are those mini greenhouses)

MW

mary kate
08-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi i bought one a few months ags through the sunday independant offers, it cost 33 euro approx inc p&p. I saw one for sale in beattys store in loughrea co galway just last week for 25 euro. If you are having difficulty in locating one i would be happy to buy and send it to you if you arrange payment ! let me know

64moog
01-01-2010, 08:00 PM
I haven't seen them for years but I may be able to get my hands on one for you. The person who used to have one is away on holidays and I will ask them on their return. Not promising anything. I will post back here if I have any luck.

I got one at woodies for 25 euro last november and wasnt impressed at all. I found that it doesnt expell all the water from the briquette and when i put extra pressure to expell more water it started to burst at the seems despite being made of steel, waste of money

chucken1
06-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Argos are doing them for 28.99euro or give a look on markettown.ie 37.90.

moloney2
07-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Dermot Kehoe Hardware in New Ross in County Wexford is selling them at under 20.00 euro. I use this hardware a lot and have found them very helpful and more importantly very reasonable!!

chockt
07-01-2010, 10:05 AM
hiya
they had the briquette balers in woodies yesterday

Dublin1
07-01-2010, 11:49 AM
The Eco Store in Greystones normally stock them and can do nationwide delivery.

Although three months later I'm still waiting for mine to dry out! LOL!

Mickey
09-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Bord Gais online shopping site.

See bottom right of the page at the link below:
http://shop.bordgaisenergy.ie/epages/BGE.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BGE/Categories/EnergyProducts

Gormal
09-06-2011, 01:49 PM
At least the delivery is only €2.99 I'm toying with the idea of getting one.

lushington
10-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Can anyone tell me if you can buy these in this country??I know years ago on the late late a fella was starting up a company to sell them.But I can only find them in the UK and some of them companies wont post to Ireland.
You make your
own briquettes out of newspaper.Were you thinking about that?
http://www.ecoshop.ie/search.asp?pg=1&stext=Paper%20Log%20Maker&stype=exact

I really want one of these. I remember theses from when I was a child. Such a great idea!

bug5y
11-10-2011, 09:01 PM
We got one from ebay, and they are great you can mix the paper with sawbust, turf dust cardboard anything that is bio-degradable

what we do is shred the paper and place in a large bucket filled with water and leave to pulp for about a week or 2, the you can mix it with whatever( we found sawdust to be the best, burns for longer), then place in the machine and squeeze out the water, leave to dry completely
they are real easy to make and great for lighting the stove, think we paid abput £19 for it inc delivery they are based up north...here is the phone number if its any use to you 0766020244, 08458689170

Thr Dodger
13-10-2011, 07:56 PM
For sale in Woodies at the mo. 26 E

Izzyizzy
25-10-2011, 03:43 PM
I bought one of these in the local DIY store. Cost was E18.99. Takes a lot of paper and a lot of time to make paper logs. They take ages to dry out and burn time is about 2 hours according to the instructions. We made 2 paper logs and still haven't burnt them.

TickTock
26-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Probably the idea is to make and store 'em over spring/summer/winter and then burn 'em in winter. I watched a youtube video which I found via JT and was impressed until I saw how much strength the guy used to press the mixture down. My wrists, elbows, back, hip, knees and ankles would definitely not be up to the task!!:)

caroline880
02-11-2011, 05:33 PM
hi i saw them advertised in woodies d.i.y in limerick im sure there in all there stores if thats any help.