PDA

View Full Version : Paving slabs -- alternatives to?

alexmurry
05-07-2012, 07:10 AM
I would welcome for any ideas for alternatives to expensive paving slabs.
I have a 4ft wide path in clay (weeds) and would like to change to something more solid and maintenance free. I read somewhere that old pieces of carpet could be used with plastic (got lots) over it but missed out on what went over that to make it firm. Any suggestions for a new solid path would be gratefully received. Alex

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
05-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Usually after carpet and/or plastic you put bark chippings or gravel which should be fairly maintainance free due to weed block underneath.

NORMARHAN
13-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Did you do this how did it go for you? Does anyone know if you can just use plastic?

Regards,

Normarhan

kilkenny123
22-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Hi

I put a 20ft stone path in my garden. one sheet of heavy duty plastic available in Woodies €27.50. Works a treat

James

dollymixture
12-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Usually after carpet and/or plastic you put bark chippings or gravel which should be fairly maintainance free due to weed block underneath.

But just put a thin layer of gravel. Too much and it will hold leaves over time and also the weeks will grow in the moisture.
Mypex is better than plastic as it will let rainwater true. it will lodge in any hollow on plastic

lopats
23-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Hi Alex, I did some thing similar but it was over a front garden (small) that nothing would grow in - grass or shrub wise i mean. So i took up what i could of the bald grass and flattened down the rest, then put down a layer of weed controll barrier - its v cheap in woodies and put a tonne of decorative stones over it, raked it all thru and looks good. thats about 3 years ago now and its still fine. the odd weed in summer time but nothing major. hope it works out well for you (ps my mam puts old lino under where she wants to build a flower bed and then fills with compost or what ever and seems to work as well)

alowishes
02-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Thank you for the advice. I will try it