PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for worn away lamination on laminate floors?

gillo
17-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for improving the look at least of my laminate floor in the sitting room, the laminate seems to be worn off the area where the computer desk is and where my husband usually sits. The floor is otherwise perfect, so I hope I don't have to redo the whole floor or replace it.

Any advice would be much appreciated, even to stop it getting any worse before I can afford to get new fllooring. Thanks

joanmul
18-07-2012, 01:49 PM
It's hard to tell without a photo. Would you consider getting something to stick on as a kind of contrasting mat. If you do it in a couple of places it might look like a design. What to use? B&Q or Woodies might have the sheeting that's used to stick to worktops. There might be a wood effect design in them.

alitrace
18-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Ikea sell a plastic mat for putting on a well used area of carpet. I bought one for under my computer chair. Measures about 1 sqm.

mario40
19-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for improving the look at least of my laminate floor in the sitting room, the laminate seems to be worn off the area where the computer desk is and where my husband usually sits. The floor is otherwise perfect, so I hope I don't have to redo the whole floor or replace it.

Any advice would be much appreciated, even to stop it getting any worse before I can afford to get new fllooring. Thanks
Hi Gillo,
Unfortunately there is n't really anything you can do once the laminate wears through. What shops and salesmen don't tell you is that laminate is not really suitable for any areas where it is likeky to have a lot of use. Think about it even a semi-solid floor has a wearing thickness of between 6 - 8mm, whereas a laminate has a wearing surface of about 0.25mm. I know the laminate is a plastic effect so should wear well, but in truth, laminate is only really suitable for bedrooms or similar and is in fact poor value in the long run against solid or semi-solid flooring in high footfall areas like halls, living rooms or kitchens.
Regards
Anthony

czlowiczek
22-07-2012, 10:35 AM
hi gillo,

weve got the same problem.our floor lasted 6 years.Ive considered getting a new laminate floor from ikea.cheapest.
also found this website.how to sand laminate floors?
http://www.ehow.com/how_6625153_sand-laminate-floors.html
or you can get laminate floor reviver or different colour sticks ( pencils ) that might work.i havent tried anything yet.

gillo
22-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, it's looking like a whole new floor is on the cards. Pity really as it's only two patches that are worn, but it's down almost 9 years now, so maybe time for a new one anyway. Again, thanks to all who took the trouble to reply :)