PDA

View Full Version : Wood beam for fire mantle

healthy chick
20-01-2013, 11:37 PM
I am looking for a large beam to place over a wood burning stove as a mantle, any suggestions where to source one? many thanks

4eyes
21-01-2013, 10:20 AM
A builders providers yard should have railway sleepers, they were being imported from the far east.
Failing this try one of the large timber businesses that MAKE garden furniture.
Good luck with your project.

lopats
23-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Hi Healthy, I was in B & Q in naas the other day in the garden centre, they have some thing similar to what you want, there not railway sleepers tho cos i think theres an issue with them with creasout (sorry spelling) but any garden centre will have some thing like what your after, hope it works out

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
23-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Hi there, was looking at another website and saw an ad for pressure treated railway sleepers, €20 each and suitable for raised bed etc. so no creosote. www.cloneesawmills.ie. This is not advertising and they are nothing to do with me, just saw the ad and remembered you were looking for something safe for indoors. Eibhlin.

Bibi
30-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Recently had same idea & bought an 8ft plank ( 3.5 inches x 7.50 inches) of regular white timber in my local hardware store. Left it sit for about 10 days & then used an electric sander to smooth it & it turned out really well. It had some lovely knotting & natural shading & I gave it a coat of teak oil to finish. I love it & it has attracted much favourable comment & at a fraction of the cost of having a custom made mantle board.
Hope this helps.

Bibi.