PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of mattress?

ccronin
11-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Anyone know of a use or a way to get rid of old mattresses? Not beyond use but still old. Is there an alternative to dumping? I have a double that needs to go and would have to be collected.

Chris P
13-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Anyone know of a use or a way to get rid of old mattresses? Not beyond use but still old. Is there an alternative to dumping? I have a double that needs to go and would have to be collected.

Hi ccronin,

You could try listing it on JumbleTown or calling some of your local charities who may be interested in it.

I know some firms in America and Belgium take old mattresses, strip them down, and recycle every single part of them, but I haven't been able to locate any in Ireland so far. Maybe that's what so many mattresses end up in landfill and ditches around the country.

Finally, you could follow the example of the guy in the article below who re-uses practically every part of his old mattresses. Please see here for more:
http://www.users.on.net/~arachne/mattress.html

Regards
Chris P
Admin

paprika
24-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Just found this thread and what a luck for me! I have two rotting mattrasses in my shed, can't wait to tear them apart and recycle every bit!
Especially love the bits that can be used in the garden. I wonder, are matrasses in Ireland in 2008 the same as in the US in 1994....

Chris P
24-11-2008, 03:45 PM
...I wonder, are matrasses in Ireland in 2008 the same as in the US in 1994....
Hi Paprika,

I presume that most standard mattresses consist of coil-springs, stuffing/hemp, thread, and covering material.

Let us know how you get on! 'Tis a big job!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

cavalin
24-11-2008, 09:07 PM
l recycle the springs in recycling centers it means you have to strip the material off but at least some of it is being recycled

tash6987
12-08-2010, 03:57 PM
I've just stripped down two mattresses today after seeing this link took me just under a couple of hours to do a double and a single, hopefully the recycling centre will accept the springs tomorrow!!
Natasha

ambie
28-09-2010, 12:08 PM
found it hard to get rid of an old mattres it was really uncomfortable so i would not even offer it on jumble town so i took it appart and recycled it peice by peice for free the materail and foam went to the clothes bank and the local metal yard took the springs quite easy to do i belive people charge for this

conorb
17-09-2012, 07:20 PM
You can recycle your old mattress.

There is a company envirogreen recycling that does it

www.envirogreenrecycling.com/mattressrecycling

pollywobs
17-09-2012, 09:36 PM
some recycling centres take them for 10-20 euro charge . i know from enquiries that mullingar and tullamore recycling centres take them. we had taken ours to tullamore when hubby over that way with work