PDA

View Full Version : wanted section

Linn
06-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi does any one feel the same as me on this point. Alot of people do not look in the wanted section at all. For instance i have wanted adds on for particular things that go on to the sections for giving away. It is very disheartening and makes me wonder whats the point in even placing the ad. I have replied to alot of ads in the wanted section and given things away plus some of my ads have also been replied to. It is a wonderful service and long may it lasts. Its just i thought i would say this to see if any one else feels the same.
Regards Linn

Chris P
06-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi does any one feel the same as me on this point. Alot of people do not look in the wanted section at all. For instance i have wanted adds on for particular things that go on to the sections for giving away. It is very disheartening and makes me wonder whats the point in even placing the ad. I have replied to alot of ads in the wanted section and given things away plus some of my ads have also been replied to. It is a wonderful service and long may it lasts. Its just i thought i would say this to see if any one else feels the same.
Regards Linn

Hi Linn,

As is clear from the format of the site, the Wanted forum was never meant to play a major part. JumbleTown's modus operandi can be summarised as follows: "I have this item -- are you interested in collecting it?" and NOT "I want this item -- do you have it?"

Receiving an item through the Wanted forum is pot-luck -- it all depends on whether the Giver wishes to list the item in the Givers' forums or search the Wanted forum for a person looking for the item in question -- it's up to them.

Some Members have suggested a separate Wanted section at the end of each of the Givers' forums but that would only make the site unwieldy for Givers, Takers, and Admin.

The Wanted forum is easily searched and there is no need for Givers to trawl through x number of pages to find a Taker for an item. All one has to do is use the Search function at the top right of the Wanted listings.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

upthedubs
10-01-2008, 01:26 AM
When i come on line i always look on the wanted section on jumbletown then when i go on other sites i no who whats what so i can look out for stuff for them and when i do come across something i let them no and most people contact me and say thanks but some cant even be botherd to say they rang or emailed for it so it leaves me wondering if they really wanted it in the first place????????

bluecurlygirl
15-01-2008, 12:17 AM
I always check the wanted section at some stage during my visit. If I have something to offer I'll contact the individual but if I see something elsewhere I notify the poster too. I have never had anyone mail me back with two very simple words "thank you". I'm sure I sound like an old biddy here but I'm only 37 and my mam, god rest her soul, taught me to have manners. It's not a huge weight to carry. I have posted on the wanted section before and have had notifications from other jumbletowners pointing me in the direction of what I was after. Whether it was any good to me or not I have ALWAYS mailed them to say thank you for their help and concern. I don't think too many people read the wanted items and maybe it would be an idea for admin to place a banner reminding people to read that section if they're looking to get rid of stuff. Or if someone is posting stuff to offer maybe a pop up box saying something like "have you checked the wanted section yet? maybe someone is desperately looking for this right now!" I don't think that would be so hard to do.

Chris P
15-01-2008, 12:29 AM
I always check the wanted section at some stage during my visit. If I have something to offer I'll contact the individual but if I see something elsewhere I notify the poster too. I have never had anyone mail me back with two very simple words "thank you". I'm sure I sound like an old biddy here but I'm only 37 and my mam, god rest her soul, taught me to have manners. It's not a huge weight to carry. I have posted on the wanted section before and have had notifications from other jumbletowners pointing me in the direction of what I was after. Whether it was any good to me or not I have ALWAYS mailed them to say thank you for their help and concern. I don't think too many people read the wanted items and maybe it would be an idea for admin to place a banner reminding people to read that section if they're looking to get rid of stuff. Or if someone is posting stuff to offer maybe a pop up box saying something like "have you checked the wanted section yet? maybe someone is desperately looking for this right now!" I don't think that would be so hard to do.

Hi bluecurlygirl,

I'm a bit surprised that you have never received a "thank you" from JumbleTowners you have notified of posts that may be of interest to them -- it's the least you deserve for your thoughtful gesture.

I guess it's time to remind (some) people of one of the main posts at the top of the Support Forum, namely the one about the site's etiquette. Please see here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=4673

I'll pass on your suggestions to the managers of JumbleTown, but as I say in my post above, the Wanted forum was never intended to be a major feature of the site.

Thanks for the feedback, and also thanks for considering Members who've posted in the Wanted forum.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

bluecurlygirl
15-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Chris, don't you ever sleep! I thought I was the only one awake at this god forsaken hour. I actually have to admit that I got one thank you from all the replies I've sent. Have to make that clear so as not to offend the person who sent it. Anyway, aside from that, you shouldn't be working at this hour. No-one expects a reply in the wee small hours of the morning. I'm going to bed now and so should you! Take care, and thanks for replying. I hope ye didn't take offence from my email but it's the truth. Yes, maybe some jumbletowners should be reminded of the etiquette but it's a sad reflection on society that they need to be don't you think?!!

Chris P
15-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Chris, don't you ever sleep! I thought I was the only one awake at this god forsaken hour. I actually have to admit that I got one thank you from all the replies I've sent. Have to make that clear so as not to offend the person who sent it. Anyway, aside from that, you shouldn't be working at this hour. No-one expects a reply in the wee small hours of the morning. I'm going to bed now and so should you! Take care, and thanks for replying. I hope ye didn't take offence from my email but it's the truth. Yes, maybe some jumbletowners should be reminded of the etiquette but it's a sad reflection on society that they need to be don't you think?!!

Hi bluecurlygirl,

I'm sure no-one has taken offence about your comment -- it's your experience after all.The occasional reminder about our p's and q's doesn't do us any harm!

And what am I doing up at this time of the morning? Fighting spammers so that the good folk of JumbleTown can sleep in peace :)

Regards
Chris P
Admin

kellyshero
19-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Hi folks, I'm a nubie so maybe you'll think it's a bit rude of me to say but.......I have taken a look through the wanted items and feel that there are one or two people in particular that only ever seem to want things (and have many many posts!)....perhaps this is why people stay away from the wanted section which is a tad dishearting as it is handy service to have!

Chris P
19-01-2008, 01:26 AM
Hi folks, I'm a nubie so maybe you'll think it's a bit rude of me to say but.......I have taken a look through the wanted items and feel that there are one or two people in particular that only ever seem to want things (and have many many posts!)....perhaps this is why people stay away from the wanted section which is a tad dishearting as it is handy service to have!
Hi kellyshero,

There is no limit on the number of items that a Member can request; whether or not they receive them is up to the Givers, some of whom go through the Wanted forum looking for a potential Taker for their item before posting it in the Givers' forums.

Also, neither Admin nor Members are in a position to judge the need or otherwise or any Member of the site. As I keep saying, JumbleTown is not a charity site -- a Giver's motivation for using the site should be that they wish to clear up space in their home/workplace and do so in an environmentally-friendly way, viz., life-cycling/re-use. If they have charitable intentions, they should get in touch with a charity of their choice. The relationship between Givers and Takers should always be that they are doing each other a favour by engaging in the Giving and Taking process. Having said that, the generosity of many Givers is astounding. Long may Givers give, and Takers take! The ultimate winner is the environment.

Welcome to JumbleTown, kellyshero, and thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

cheddarlane
13-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I love the wanted section!!

Many people on here work and don't have the time to sit behind a pc checking the Jumbletown site all day!!

I worked in an office before I had my daughter and I had time to look a few times a day on the site..

One lovely girl on here, appologies as forgot her username.. living in carlow, had items for me, from an add I had in the famous Wanted Section, her parents lived in dublin and transported a few baby items and they met me in Dublin!!

The were lovely and had to force the chololates on them! They were such a breathe of fresh air..

For Kellyshero:

I would consider myself to have been looking for a few items..

However you cannot see who i am pm'ing to offer items to!!!

There are many people who like a little pat on the back from offering someone items!! (they don't pm, they like to make it 'sometimes; know by posting on the thread.. and they can work pm facility, as they say, pm me your collection details etc..!

I would extimate that I have pm'd 10 or so people in the past few weeks offering items.. many even asking for pics, which I have provided and even posted items on 3 occasions.

I 'offer' items behind the scenes!!!! ( i belive that some people often are just updated the look of there house, rather than genuinly needing the item)
When they see a picture, they are like woooh.

I don't need a reward or others to know what I am doing!

I have had an add on the wanted section for Outdoor toys since last Nov..
530 odd people looked at it (not including the people that only placed mouse on thread to read my post).

and never got 1 reply!! Until last night, and the person was giving info of items on a simular site..

so I would say that there are many people on this site that give behind the sceens!!!

Fries-With-That
13-03-2008, 09:48 PM

Hi Kellyshero,

Welcome to Jumbletown, where you'll find all kinds of everything and get to meet all manner of people.

If you want a concrete example of how good the wanted pagres can be look at this link http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=14988&highlight=vouchers

I never thought I'd post a wanted advert on here, but you'd be surprised at what you might someday need and realise the easiest way to access it might be a request on the wanted pages.

I hope you have a great time on Jumbletown, I personally log on a few times each day.
I'm not always looking for stuff it puts a smile on my face to see the weird the wonderful and the often fantastic items that people give away.

Regards,

Fries.

upthedubs
16-03-2008, 02:33 AM
Hi all when i see something i like i go for it so if that means updating so be it i always offer what i had before i have often change a whole room because i got something of another jumbletowner thats what i love about this site you can change without having too spend money isnt that what it all about??? RECYCLE

Yellowbrickroad
19-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I check out the wanted section most days and love to find someone who needs something I no longer need. However, I am a bit miffed with one poster who was looking for a compost bin - I answered the ad and offered them one bout 2 weeks ago, got no reply since and now the ad has just disappeared off the list!! The least I would have expected was a reply to say they'd got one already or it was no longer needed. Can't understand the lack of manners. Anyway thats just one negative and the majority of Jumbletowners are great communicators and its just a FAB site.

Chris P
19-03-2008, 10:20 PM
I answered the ad and offered them one bout 2 weeks ago, got no reply since and now the ad has just disappeared off the list!
Hi Yellowbrickroad,

I removed the ad in question from the Wanted forum today.

If a Member requests an item, receives a response, but then fails to respond (for whatever reason), the ad is removed.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Yellowbrickroad
20-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi Yellowbrickroad,

I removed the ad in question from the Wanted forum today.

If a Member requests an item, receives a response, but then fails to respond (for whatever reason), the ad is removed.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Thanks for clarifying that for me Chris.

Chris P
23-04-2008, 06:40 AM
I love this site, i recently moved out of the city (big thing for me) and found that moving is expensive. im due a baby in the summer and thought it easier to ask in the wanted section for the bits i need.
Of course when im finished with them they will be re-posted.
Peoples generousity is amazing!! ive met so many nice people on this site. Some who just wish me luck others who like to tell me abouts ads they've seen elsewhere that might help.
I think the wanted section is a great section to have. I love browsing through the pages but as i said i recently moved so i dont have much to give away yet but with a 3 year old and another on the way im sure (in the near future) i'll have some posts in the giving section :)
Just want to say a big thanks to everyone that has helped me so far, and to jumbletown itself.
Oh by the way "happy birthday jumbletown"
Great to have you on board, karen_o_hara.

And you're right -- the generosity of JumbleTowners is amazing!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

alderney
23-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi,

Just to add a thought, (especially to Lindaleagh), I usually post on the thread when I pm someone as it also has the added benefit of 'bumping' that persons ad back up for others to see and possibly provide what the person is looking for! Its not that we are trying to be transparent - just promoting the cause...

Just a thought :-)

Alderney.......

cheddarlane
23-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi,

I have read back my post..

I didn't mean that in a direct way, but some people do like a little Recognition for what they do, to be seen as one of the good guys thatare giving..fair play I suppose.

Other's simply replying.. but often people post in detail for all to see.

That's all

mmc
03-05-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm always checking the wanted section first, and if somebody wants an item I have i'll post it publically cause if it's not suitable someone else may like it! After initial post it goes to pm. What I find really annoying is when you offer something and person messes you round and leaves you waiting or just not replying even to say No thanks!! I love giving have not taken anything yet but I've so much clutter any way and not must space!

marie065
04-05-2008, 12:27 PM
i too love going through the wanted section i have only managed to give away two small things through the wanted section and like mmc i post it publically so if its no good to the first person someone else might want it and would save me putting in a new post and have to give out my personal details to people that have replyed to my ads then no longer want the item which has happened on 2 occasions which is kind of annoying

angie1
04-05-2008, 10:09 PM
hi all just thought i might add my comment 2 . all sections in jumbletown are fab i think the wanted section esp. i have put a few posts on myself and gave things to people.. i just dont understand reading some of the comments what all the commotion is about!!! if you have somthing to give ......give it explain what it is and get over it deliver or post it if needs be...its a free site for recycling after all who cares who writes what and who craves attention we all need a pat on the back and inspiration and ideas sometimes after all we are all human...keep up the great work jumbletown and i love this site soooooooooo much. life is too short for moaning after all we cant recycle ourselves just our matieral items ...kind regards to all angie1

alderney
14-05-2008, 09:04 AM
I just wanted to say that I always look on the wanted section when I log on but what I really wanted to let people know is that the wanted section works!

I got a really old fashion lady's bike from a kind jumbletowner who responded to my advert in the wanted section.

I am chuffed with it and intend restoring it to its former glory!

When I posted the ad in the wanted section I thought it was a bit of a long shot...but I got exactly what I had been looking for!

The Wanted Section Works!

Linn
14-05-2008, 09:19 AM
I totally agree the wanted section does work. I have put on lots of ads in the wanted section and with lots of success. My little nephew wanted ps1 games which my brother couldnt find and now he has over 50 due to generous jumbletowners. My daughter has got new goth clothes, jewellery and furnishings for her room. We also got patio doors for our porch which my husband is thrilled about. Push lawner mower, golfs clubs, baby equipement and lots lots more. I have also given away stuff that was requested in the wanted section.
But i must make a confession i didnt always feel that way. I was the one who started this thread and i felt the wanted section didnt work but with patience and the amount of new people joining jumbletown i have completely done 180 degree turn around.
So to one and all keep up the jumbletown faith.