PDA

View Full Version : just wondering about used car parts

general lee
10-02-2008, 07:47 PM
hey all, i like to do abit of maintence to the cars at home- replace this fix that etc. Now the garage is taken up with worn out bushings bust springs and shock obsorbers. just wondering where would be a good place to get rid of this stuff for free.
plastic gallon oil cans are another thing building up can they be thrown into the recycling bin?

Chris P
10-02-2008, 08:02 PM
hey all, i like to do abit of maintence to the cars at home- replace this fix that etc. Now the garage is taken up with worn out bushings bust springs and shock obsorbers. just wondering where would be a good place to get rid of this stuff for free.
plastic gallon oil cans are another thing building up can they be thrown into the recycling bin?

Hi general lee,

I don't know for certain of any free recyclers but I do know that most of the larger municipal recycling centres accept scrap metal and oil tanks but may charge a recycling fee.

Dublin centres are listed below. If you are located elsewhere in the country, click on the relevant local authority link at the top or bottom of JumbleTown's Home Page.

Balbriggan Recycling Centre
Balbriggan, Unit 1, IDA Industrial Estate, Balbriggan

Balleally Recycling Centre
Lusk, Balleally Landfill Balleally Lane Lusk Co.Dublin

Ballymount Recycling Centre
Dublin 12, Ballymount Lane Ballymount Industrial Estate

Ballyogan Recycling Park
Dublin 18, Ballyogan Rd, Carrickmines, D 18

Estuary Recycling Centre
Swords, Seatown East, Swords, Co Dublin

Ringsend Recycling Centre
Dublin 4, Pigeon House Road, Dublin 4

Shamrock Terrace Recycling Centre
Dublin 3, North Strand Rd, Shamrock Tce, Dublin 3

general lee
10-02-2008, 08:18 PM
what about throwing oil cans in the bin?

Chris P
10-02-2008, 08:27 PM
what about throwing oil cans in the bin?
Plastic oil-tanks are listed as "non-hazardous items" by recycling centres so I think that a small plastic oil can/container would be allowed in the domestic recycling bin. (Plastic is made from oil in any case.)

As with all (plastic) containers, it's a good idea to rinse them out before before disposal. Also, leave the lids on.

Though all types of plastics are recyclable to one degree or another, some types are not accepted by some centres for recycling. Check the symbols on the container and the types that are accepted by your recycling facility.

Some more tips and info can be found here:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/waste-management-and-recycling/domestic_recycling_services

general lee
10-02-2008, 08:46 PM
thanks