PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland JumbleTown?

Stuarty
28-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi everyone, I had a friend down from the North at the weekend, she was horrendously jealous of the the fab things I have got from Jumbletown... Does anyone know of any similar sites in the North?? or could this be an idea for expanding Jumbletown?

Chris P
28-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi everyone, I had a friend down from the North at the weekend, she was horrendously jealous of the the fab things I have got from Jumbletown... Does anyone know of any similar sites in the North?? or could this be an idea for expanding Jumbletown?
Hi Stuarty,

JumbleTown can be used by all who live on the island of Ireland. If you click on the "Find New Items" button (just above the Support Forum and to the left of the Log-in Box), you'll notice that all counties are included in the drop-down box. To date, very few people in Northern Ireland have joined (if memory serves me right, there are a couple of JumbleTowners in Armagh and Fermanagh). Due to lack of funding, we haven't advertised in Northern Ireland.

So, in short, JumbleTown does exist in Northern Ireland. For geographical reasons, the "dot ie" domain name/URL is used. (We did launch a JumbleTown.co.uk website at the same time as JumbleTown.ie, and this was intended to serve the British "mainland" but we took it down after a few days when we realised that managing the website for the island of Ireland was a monstrous task in itself!)

Stuarty, please ask your friend to register and participate in the JumbleTown community which hopefully will emerge in their local area if we get some funding from the Northen Ireland Local Authorities and if your friend spreads the word and/or puts up a few of these very natty JumbleTown posters!
http://www.jumbletown.ie/posters.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin

lislaw
02-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Cool, a new twist on cross border communication and sharing

jenniferalan
05-02-2009, 11:08 PM
is there any update on many northern members? Did JT get anymore funding?

Chris P
05-02-2009, 11:45 PM
is there any update on many northern members? Did JT get anymore funding?
Hi jenniferalan,

Admin hasn't noticed any significant increase in Northern Ireland Members. To the best of our knowledge, less than half a dozen posts have been made by residents of Northern Ireland since the inception of Jumbletown in 2006.

Our funding to promote JumbleTown in the Republic of Ireland has been cut by 56%.

In 2008, fifteen of the 34 Local Authorities kindly provided funding for our promotional work under the Local Agenda 21 Scheme. In 2009, ten are supporting us, namely:

1. Kildare County Council
2. Kilkenny County Council
3. Clare County Council
4. Limerick City Council
5. Limerick County Council
6. South Tipperary County Council
7. Longford County Council
8. Galway County Council
9. Westmeath County Council (new supporter)
10. Waterford City Council (new supporter)

Most of the Local Authorities in the list above have supported our work since 2006.

A small two-week ad campaign on local radio stations and in local newspapers is envisaged for some time in late spring (in some of the counties above). That'll be the extent of any formal ad campaign for 2009, I believe.

We are grateful for the support of the following local authorities who have also funded our promotional efforts in 2007 and/or 2008:

1. Cork County Council
2. Galway City Council
3. Offaly County Council
4. Louth County Council
5. Galway County Council
6. Meath County Council
7. Wexford County Council
8. Sligo Borough Council
9. Roscommon County Council

Regards
Chris P
Admin

jenniferalan
05-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Thank u Chris for the update. You're always on the ball, Do u ever sleep? lol

Glad to see that Galway is in there. By supporting in terms of promoting does that mean that they provide financial support to advertise this site on Google ads and pay people to hand out posters?

Chris P
06-02-2009, 12:11 AM
...By supporting in terms of promoting does that mean that they provide financial support to advertise this site on Google ads and pay people to hand out posters?
Hi jenniferalan,

Funding varies from Local Authority to Local Authority -- some give us €250 a year, which will get us a small box ad in a local paper for one week; others give us €2,500, which will get us a few ads on the radio over a two week period.

No one is paid to hand out flyers.

We try to keep a percentage of the "local" funding we receive for ads in national publications that offer us a good deal (e.g. Prudence magazine). So, no ads on RTE, or in the Times or Indo, I'm afraid. C'est la vie!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

jenniferalan
06-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Us the members could do our own little bit handing out flyers, I'm hopefully going to have my printer fixed on Saturday and then the population of Galway members might rise when i get around to posting a few around lol

Chris P
06-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Us the members could do our own little bit handing out flyers, I'm hopefully going to have my printer fixed on Saturday and then the population of Galway members might rise when i get around to posting a few around lol
Hi jenniferalan,

Members do sterling work by putting up posters and promoting us by word-of-mouth.

The media have also been keen supporters of JumbleTown.

A4-size posters can be downloaded here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/posters.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin

betsy10112000
06-02-2009, 10:19 AM
hi chris
just wondering
i go around the houses and businesses around my area dropping in leaflets regarding my brother in laws business(trying to promote it).just wondering i know you have the A4 posters but do you have any leaflets, maybe with a bit more detail about what jumbletown is all about,that i could print off and maybe distribute why doing my rounds:)

minnie pal
07-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Did Dun Laoghaire Rathdown give any funding for this year?

It doesnt seem to be on the 'list'

Chris P
07-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Did Dun Laoghaire Rathdown give any funding for this year?

It doesnt seem to be on the 'list'
Hi minnie pal,

The list above gives the names of all the Local Authorities that have backed JumbleTown in 2008/2009.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

snowdaisy
09-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi all,
I just saw the Kilkenny People newspaper had a box ad for jumbletown this week, it might bring a few more kilkenny heads into the fold!
snowdaisy

Chris P
09-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi all,
I just saw the Kilkenny People newspaper had a box ad for jumbletown this week, it might bring a few more kilkenny heads into the fold!
snowdaisy
Thanks for the feedback, snowdaisy. Much appreciated!

Regards
Chris P
Admin