PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when to pick apples

fnc
27-08-2008, 07:43 AM
For the first time ever, I have an apple tree with apples on it at this time of year, I planted it a few years ago and the last couple of years the apples were picked off by kids and vandals when they were tiny.

However, I've no idea how to know when is the best time to pick them

Any advice will be appreciated

Wisteria
27-08-2008, 10:27 AM
The best way to know when apples are ripe for picking is to gently twist the apple and if it 'gives' easily then it's ready.

fnc
27-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Thank you, we'll give that a try, we can't wait to taste them, they look really good!

Ocker
27-08-2008, 01:51 PM
The twist method is the best. They also give a pleasant smell when ripe. Failing that, watch for the kids, shoot them and then pick yer apples !

snowdaisy
01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Maybe the kids did you a favour, i',ve just planted two apple trees and have been advised to pick the first couple of years fruit when they are just growing so that the tree can concentrate on getting bigger without straining to produce fruit. Kinda sounds like it makes sense so i'm going to try it. Its meant to give good crops later on.

Bettybooboopbedoop
01-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Ya you can do that or you can grown and pick your fruit and just prune back the trees in the autumn. This will strengthen the young trees and you should get better branches from the base of the tree also. Don't let one main shoot grow up the middle, they tend to take over the tree. If there is one cut it off at a reasonable height and the other branches will take better shape. Enjoy your apples.

fnc
03-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. Actually, I haven't done any pruning whatsoever, and there is a big shoot growing up the middle so I guess I'll have to cut it!

You know what, I planted some peas and mange-tout this year from seed and they were so easy to grow, I couldn't believe it, definitely must do it again next year. Basically, I just planted them and went away and forgot about them and went out to the garden one day and noticed there were pods on them which were easy to run out and pick just before dinner. Great idea

grafada
03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
The apples are lovely, my granny used to say you know they are ripe when the pips are brown. I have two dwarf trees in my garden I planted 10 years ago, when I moved in. But I think I enjoy the apple blossom nearly more than the fruit, it gives me a little high for those two weeks in May, with the delicate scent, the glorious light flowers and the promise of summer.

fnc
04-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Yes the apple blossoms do give you a little high, I found that too, they are so pretty to look out at