PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of old paint

House elf
01-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi,
Does anyone know of an eco friendly way to dispose of paint?
We have about ten half tins in our shed and no idea what to do with them.
Thanks

Ronan H
01-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Some of the bigger recycling centres will take paint as far as I know. The painter that painted our house said he beings some of his stuff to them sometimes. If they don't take the actual paint then they will more than likely take empty tins / cans at least. Another tip he gave me is to pour all the dregs of paint from your various tins into one tin instead of having a ton of cans with a little bit of papint in them. Dump it all into the biggest one you have and bring the empties to the recycle centre! Cuts down on space wasted in your shed!

Head

Florin
01-09-2008, 03:09 PM
read on www.dublinwaste.ie

Mickey
01-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi,
Thanks

Are they still useable? Put them up on JT?

corker
09-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi there, in cork county there is a Chemcar that visits various sites throughout the county and will accept paint tins. Google Chemcar to check the schedule I expect it is in other areas as well. good luck. Corker

Chris P
09-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi,
Thanks
Hi House Elf,

Depending on its condition, you could try life-cycling your paint -- try posting it in JumbleTown's DIY/Construction forum...here:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Failing that, Ballyogan Recycling Centre accepts hazardous waste material such as paint:

Ballyogan Rd, Carrickmines, Dublin 18
Opening hours Mon - Fri 8.30 - 17.30
Sat 9.30 - 17.30
Sun & Bank Hols 10.30 - 17.30
Phone 01-2913600

If you choose the recycling option, I'm told that there are long queues in Ballyogan at the weekends, so during the week is the best time to visit.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Bettybooboopbedoop
09-09-2008, 10:56 PM
If you have a bedroom etc. that is looking a little worn, use the small amounts of paint to sponge or rag the walls, gives a great new look to a previously dull room. Pick the colours you want to stay in the background and do them first, the colours that you want to stand out, rag them on last. You can even leave the walls plain and rag the ceiling. I have done both previously and they looked fab. My neighbour wanted to know where i bought the wallpaper as he thought it was lovely.