PDA

View Full Version : Recycling fairly

freebee23
29-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Hi All,

Point 1) Just a thought here but would it be possible for the person giving an item to post the name (ie.their Jumbletown name...NOT REAL NAME) of the receiver.
{Such as the lucky receipient of my item was "JUMBLETOWN NAME" hope they make great use of it!!!.}
(Comments from admin welcome)
This might help other people who want to recycle their items, so they go to genuine needy people and not necessarly to the first person who responds to their post.
I am sure that it is not the responsibility of admin to monitor or check up on who receives the items but to all the people who make use of this service it might be of concern to them that all items that are being recycled are done so in a fair way.
----------------------------------------------------
Point2) Unsure how to make the process more transparent as mentioned in the previous thread regarding takers who might change their username and such. BUT here is 1 idea.
Putting my head on the block here...............BUT Maybe, just maybe, admin could track telephone numbers i.e. making home no / mobile no. a required field in the account activation field. AND if this number matches a number in their DB the account setup process could ensure that the new account fails to activate. (Only 1 account per household)
This could be used to track Jumbletown ID's( Maybe this contravenes privacy laws, but most sites out there ensure that a contact number is given) LOADS more work for ADMIN!!!! ADMIN PLEASE Dont banish me!!!
------------------------------------------

All comments welcome.

Regards,
Tom

Covelay
29-09-2006, 11:01 AM
1. JumbleTown is about RECYCLING - it is not a CHARITY............

2.People place their items on JumbleTown because, for whatever reason, they want them removed from their home / place of business or elsewhere.

3.Items that require a van for removal are more likely to be taken by 'dealers' and / or trades people who have access to a van.........such is life. Van hire is quite expensive so while your 'ordinary punter' without the relevant type of transport to remove the object of their desire may agree to take a suite of furniture, for example, if they enquired into the cost of moving it they may well change their mind. An example of this occured on Jumbletown in relation to a mobile home.....the person said they would take it, then looked into the cost of having it moved and discovered that cost to be 600 euro.....they then changed their mind...........if you really needed a mobile home the cost of having it moved at 600 euro is far less than the price you would pay for a habitable mobile home on the open market............I am not criticising this particular JumbleTowner - they had a right to want the item, a right to make enquiries as to it's removal and a right to change their mind...it is just an example........

4.Everyone is entitled to conduct their business in private............and unless you stay on JumbleTown 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with your fingers poised over the keyboard of your computer you are always going to see something you wished you had gotten your spoke in for.............

5.Who are these 'needy' people everybody keeps mentioning? As far as I know one's needs are air to breath, food, water and protection from the elements. Nowhere have I ever seen it written or heard it discussed that a three piece suite / wardrobe or whatever constituted a human 'need'. I don't think you would walk into any home in Ireland - be it privately owned or rented - and find somebody who had nothing in the way of furnishings to make their life that bit more comfortable. I think, however, you could go anywhere on the continent of Africa, for example, and find a lot of people without a stick of furniture.......but, oh yeah, a lot of these same people also have no food, no water, no shelter etc. so a couple of chairs aren't going to make them that much more comfortable anyway........are they?????????????
Regards,
Covelay.

Tabitharose
29-09-2006, 11:31 AM
I think it works perfectly well as is. It's a recycling service as already said by Covelay.

Tabitharose
29-09-2006, 12:46 PM
just another point on this - I put my kitchen table up for grabs last week. the person that took it was furnishing a house they were going to rent out. they were ready willing & able to come & collect the table on the day that suited me & arrived on time. to be honest I couldn't care less what they were going to do with / use my table for what mattered to me was that it was collected on the Friday at the agreed time & that I then had room for my new table (well new to me) which arrived that weekend & that the table didn't end up in the dump.

if there are any pet items available on jumbletown I will nearly always ask for them - not because I turn around & sell them - but because I volunteer with animal rescues & they ALWAYS need pet supplies & I'd would pass items on to one of the rescues.

Chris P
29-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Exactly Tabitharose,
...the purpose of JumbleTown is to RECYCLE...

I don't mean to be pedantic but the real purpose of JumbleTown is to encourage LIFE-CYCLING (re-use) before recycling and/or disposal. The "Race Against Waste" campaign uses the motto: "Reduce, REUSE, Recycle." JumbleTown is primarily about the second part of this motto, i.e., re-use. Recycling and disposal into landfill cost money -- life-cycling postpones this expenditure until it becomes absolutely necessary. In other words, JumbleTown is against premature recycling and/or disposal.

Having said all that, websites (including JT!) and media articles often refer to JumbleTown as a recycling website because the term is more recognisable.
------------
Note on Feedback:
JumbleTown Admin appreciates all feedback and commentary. However, as a rule, JumbleTown Admin does not comment immediately on suggestions that are made, preferring instead to hold back and let JumbleTown Members have their say first. Only then do we add our tuppence worth. So, please don't be offended or put out if you post a suggestion and don't hear from us for a while.

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)

buffy
29-09-2006, 01:55 PM
I think it works perfectly well as is. It's a recycling service as already said by Covelay.

Yes but does it not bother you that dealers are lining their pockets
at the same time??

Covelay
29-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Nothing wrong with being pedantic Chris........the English language would be in a far greater state of decay if it were not for pedants!!!!!!!!!!
However, the word recycle also means to re-use something again in its original form .........I have been unable to find the term life-cycle within the context of re-using. Could you please tell me from where it is derived - i.e. which dictionary and / or other? Very curious...........
Regards,
Covelay.

Chris P
29-09-2006, 02:20 PM
I have been unable to find the term life-cycle within the context of re-using. Could you please tell me from where it is derived - i.e. which dictionary and / or other? Very curious...........

Hi Covelay,

"Life-cycling" is something of a neologism/ a "makey-uppie word" :)
JumbleTown's developers hope that its meaning is fairly apparent though I think one would be hard-pressed to find a dictionary definition that uses it in the way that JumbleTown does. Why coin such a phrase? Well, it's a helluva lot catchier than "Re-use" or "Re-using". Also, one of the provisional mottos of the website was "Life-cycling before Recycling." In the end, "Someone, Somewhere, Wants It! won out, but the phrase "life-cycling" was retained because it was felt that it encapsulated the general ethos of the site.

"Life-cycling" was also partly inspired by Flann O'Brien's neologistic fancies such as "exode." Whenever he used one of these in his "Myles na Gopaleen" column, he used to write "That last word is copyright!", meaning that a few shillings would have to be passed on to him if the word in question were used. Now there's an idea! "Life-cycle" (20 cents); "Life-cycling (25 cents). Please send...

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)

Chris P
29-09-2006, 02:31 PM
the word recycle also means to re-use something again in its original form

Oh, and I really can't argue with you on this point, Covelay

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)

Covelay
29-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Thank you for clarifying that for me, Chris. I think tho' that most people probably relate to JumbleTown within the context of the word 'recycling' which is a perfectly apt description of its purpose and technically correct!!!!!!!!
You will notice that I have not used your neologism in this message as I have no intention of paying you copyright fees!!!!!!!!!!! We shall have to wait and see if your new word takes off and becomes part of common everyday language or just part of the JumbleTown administrators' dialect!!!!!!!!! I take it that Flann O'Brien's 'exode' did not make it into the English language - mind you Homer Simpson's 'doh!' has so all is not lost................
Regards,
Covelay.

Covelay
29-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Oh, and I really can't argue with you on this point, Covelay

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)

I know................

Chris P
29-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I have not used your neologism in this message as I have no intention of paying you copyright fees!!!

No copyright fee, eh? Would you prefer a 1,000 euro per annum JumbleTown Membership Fee instead? (I must have a word with JumbleTown's developers...)

Regards
Chris P :)
(Admin)

Tabitharose
29-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Yes but does it not bother you that dealers are lining their pockets
at the same time??

No it doesn't - it really doesn't - I have already stated what was important to me - that items are collected at a time & date that suited me - at my convenience - it suits me & keeps the item out of the dump which is all that matters to me.

Chris P
29-09-2006, 03:10 PM
a humble site

HumbleTown? In fact, we've got notions of "upperosity"!

referring to yourselves as 'developers'!!

But but at least we are not "idle" speculators. JumbleTown's developers (like its Members) don't just think green, but ACT green.

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)

Chris P
29-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Are you neologising again???????????????

No, just musing on the semantic nuances of "developer" and "speculator". It's an awful habit that drives my friends crazy. I really should get a life, I suppose, or better still, do some serious work. Nice chatting! Catch you later!

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)

PS "Upperosity" is a word used in one of Sean O'Casey's play.

Chris P
29-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Hi All,

Point 1) Just a thought here but would it be possible for the person giving an item to post the name (ie.their Jumbletown name...NOT REAL NAME) of the receiver.
{Such as the lucky receipient of my item was "JUMBLETOWN NAME" hope they make great use of it!!!.}
(Comments from admin welcome)
This might help other people who want to recycle their items, so they go to genuine needy people and not necessarly to the first person who responds to their post.
I am sure that it is not the responsibility of admin to monitor or check up on who receives the items but to all the people who make use of this service it might be of concern to them that all items that are being recycled are done so in a fair way.
----------------------------------------------------
Point2) Unsure how to make the process more transparent as mentioned in the previous thread regarding takers who might change their username and such. BUT here is 1 idea.
Putting my head on the block here...............BUT Maybe, just maybe, admin could track telephone numbers i.e. making home no / mobile no. a required field in the account activation field. AND if this number matches a number in their DB the account setup process could ensure that the new account fails to activate. (Only 1 account per household)
This could be used to track Jumbletown ID's( Maybe this contravenes privacy laws, but most sites out there ensure that a contact number is given) LOADS more work for ADMIN!!!! ADMIN PLEASE Dont banish me!!!
------------------------------------------

All comments welcome.

Regards,
Tom

Hi freebee23/Tom,

Thanks for your ideas. JumbleTown Admin will respond in detail later but in the meantime, you might be interested in our reply to an earlier thread posted by Buffy on the same topic. You can view it here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=2055

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)