PDA

View Full Version : green bag info please

tasmin
09-10-2008, 06:11 PM
h all,

i have recently started recycling...but i am confused as to what can go into the green bag.

it says on the bag that plastic bottles can go into it...does this mean anything plastic can go into it?

also, i have notice a neighbour putting her leaves in the green bag...how are these recycled?

ohhh has anyone any idea of where i could get a green bin and how much they cost.

and while i'm asking, could someone explain to me why you have to leave your dishes on for three to twelve hours in a dishwasher?

hubby recently bought me a dishwasher, and i was shocked to see settings fo 3,6,9,12 hour settings.

at the moment i'm leaving my dishes in for about 15 mins, then rinse them...and they are perfectly clean....so why are they supposed to be left on for hours?

tas

bluecurlygirl
09-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Whoever is supplying the bags should be able to tell you what goes in. It can differ from company to company. However once the plastic is clean and not contaminated by food then it should be okay, tins, paper - I wouldn't have thought that dead leaves could be recycled myself unless the people that sort it out are really into taking them home and pressing them!! Maybe they glue them back onto the trees hee hee! What does your neighbour think they do with them I wonder? There are lots of other wonderful JT'rs out there more knowledgeable than me so I'll let them take over. Best of luck.

Chris P
09-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Whoever is supplying the bags should be able to tell you what goes in. It can differ from company to company. However once the plastic is clean and not contaminated by food then it should be okay, tins, paper - I wouldn't have thought that dead leaves could be recycled myself unless the people that sort it out are really into taking them home and pressing them!! Maybe they glue them back onto the trees hee hee! What does your neighbour think they do with them I wonder? There are lots of other wonderful JT'rs out there more knowledgeable than me so I'll let them take over. Best of luck.
Hi tasmin,

As blurcurlygirl says, whoever is supplying the bags should be able to tell you eaxactly what you should put into your green bag as it can differ from company to company.

I doubt very much if you can include organic material such as leaves or food. Also certain types of paper and plastics may not be acceptable.

I did a quick Google search and came up with a list of what you can/can't put into a green bag service offered by a UK company. Details here:

http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.asp?nav=2870,3148,4126&parent_directory_id=2865&id=4155

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Stuarty
09-10-2008, 08:17 PM
I think that your local council will be able to tell you how to go about getting a green bin, ours is from Fingal County Council and it is free at the mo because we havent been supplied with a brown bin. (the brown will be for leaves and compostables) we got a list of acceptable items with our green bins, it is downloadable from dublinwaste.ie

At a guess on the dishwasher thing...it sounds to me like it might be a delay start timer not a length of washing. My clothes washing machine has a delay so if I want the machine to turn on after i go to bed or while we are out for the day. I still just set it on an ordinary eco cycle when i load it, but I dont have to be there to switch it on, (or listen to the spin cycle!)

Chris P
09-10-2008, 08:32 PM
...has anyone any idea of where i could get a green bin and how much they cost.
Hi Tasmin,

My green bin is supplied free by a company called Oxigen -- others may charge. Click on your Local Authority and find out if they supply the green bin service themselves or have contracted it out to a private company. Links to all of the county and city councils can be found at the top and bottom of JumbleTown's Home Page.

...could someone explain to me why you have to leave your dishes on for three to twelve hours in a dishwasher?

hubby recently bought me a dishwasher, and i was shocked to see settings fo 3,6,9,12 hour settings.

at the moment i'm leaving my dishes in for about 15 mins, then rinse them...and they are perfectly clean....so why are they supposed to be left on for hours?
I don't have a dishwasher so I've no idea how long you should leave your dishes in. However, I recently used a tumble-drier for the first time in my life and was shocked to realise that it takes well over an hour to dry even a few items. Given our weather, I'm sure they must seem a godsend for people with large families (or large wardrobes!), but I reckon they are a shocking waste of energy. The same goes for washing machines -- 90 minute cycles! How dirty can clothes be?

Dish-washers may be labour-saving devices but can their energy-use really be justified? And what about all of the water they use (gallons upon gallons, surely), not to mention the amount of cleaning agent that is washed into the water-stream. Elbow-grease, a fistful of scourers, a couple of girly aprons, and team-work should be enough. (Gosh, I never thought I'd be pontificating about the glories of doing the dishes -- I hate doing them!) :)

Thanks for the post, Tasmin!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

unapam
09-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Just goes to show that people are not sure exactly how to recycle. I always wonder when I am putting plastic bottles in the green bin...do I remove the lid? the label? or can I just toss the lot in? Then there are milk cartons...should I remove the plastic pouring piece? ...well - the green bin takes plastic bottles sooooo...can it take the plastic part? or the plastic lid?

Powers that be!!!!!!!! TAKE NOTE ...MAKE IT EASY! MAKE IT CLEAR!

bluecurlygirl
09-10-2008, 08:40 PM
That's just what a few of us were pontificating about on the "Message to those who have the authority to make decisions in the recycling arena" thread too unapam. Let's have money spent on educating people about reducing reusing and recycling instead of buying licences to pollute!

tasmin
10-10-2008, 08:47 AM
hi all,

first of i want to say thank you to all who replied.

the reason my hubby bought the dishwasher wasn't to help me, he bought it because of all the arguments over who washed the dishes.

my hubby and son are dish washing shy!!!!
which always ended up with me doing them and getting annoyed about always being left to do them.

hence the buying of the dishwash.

i loved the photo of the boy and the man in the apron, it made me laugh!!!!!

ah chris,if only my two would be like that !!!! :-D
the dishwasher would be a distant memory and i'd be a happy woman lol

tas

bluecurlygirl
10-10-2008, 09:06 AM
What about some the sites under the above thread? www.recycleireland.ie maybe as well. I know what you mean about the picture. I think Chris put it up to taunt us. My other half certainly isn't like that. It's the same in our house - I cook and the boys wash up but the amount of fighting they do - but I refuse to take over cos I'm sure that's what they want me to do. I make a cup of tea and go to the sitting room & watch telly until they're finished.

smokeyeyes
10-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Tasmin, this is a delay start on your dishwasher if you want it to come on later, so you just set whatever program you wish to use and set delay timer if you want (you don't have to use this function ). I too try to use whatever is the most economical and efficient settings on machines, but recently got a new dishwasher and to my amazement and shock the Eco setting takes the longest to do (nearly 2 hrs !) Whereas the intensive (for dirtier dishes/pots) only takes slightly over an hour. The Quick Wash takes about 30 mins but doesn't dry the dishes. The best thing to do is find out which program takes less time but cleans dishes properly and stick to that and only put it on when you have a full load.

UNAPAM. As regards the recycling, I wash the plastic/tetra milk containers out squash them down and put lid back on (this stops air going back into them and makes them smaller thereby taking up less space in green bin) When recycling glass bottles/jars I remove lids and place in green bin and glass in glass bins.

With the high cost of bin collections now I recycle absolutely everything that I can, as a result I might only put my black bin (household stuff) about every 5-6 weeks as we are charged per lift of black bin, whereas green / glass bin is free.