PDA

View Full Version : recycling old...and i mean old chip pan and pan

tasmin
16-10-2008, 05:22 PM
hi all,

i have an old pan and chip pan that my mum used while we were growing up.
and as she died last year i'm having a really hard time just getting rid of them.

they are really heavy..dont know how my mum cooked with these, especially the pan as it weighs a ton lol

anyway i have had an idea for the chip pan...could paint it black and use it for a plant pot, but what can i do with the pan?

any ideas would be welcomed.

ps, jesus, just thinking to myself here....mum would have a fit if she seen her "good pots" used as a plant holder :-D

all the best,

tasmin

mrsl
16-10-2008, 06:14 PM
How about painting it black too, taking the handle off and using it as a plant pot stand?

You could use it as a drip tray or turn it upside down to raise a plant higher.

mrsl

Anfearisfearr
16-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Drill a hole in centre,paint it black,the pan not the hole.Maplin sell battery clock movements with assorted hands very cheap.Install the movement.Now paint numerals in whatever fashion you prefer.You will now have recycled your mothers pan and made yourself a sevicable item while not destroying another.

unapam
16-10-2008, 10:10 PM
You could paint it, mount it on a base of rocks in the garden and use it as a bird table or birdbath. Place it near the pot for a matching set. I think the clock idea is fab too. Or you could paint flowers on it and hang it in the kitchen as an ornament.

tasmin
16-10-2008, 10:48 PM
hi all,

love the ideas, would still welcome more if any of you would like to add them.

love the ideas of the clock and the bird bath.

at the moment i'm soaking them both pans to get all the grime off them, because they have been laying around for years.

but i've actually been thinking of doing something in my back garden as a memorial to my parents ( because this was their home before it was mine)
and the rockery and the bird bath might just be the thing.

and i so love to watch the little birds washing and having a drink in water i leave in a bowl lol

ita amazing to look at!!!!

thanks again to all who replied!

loved the ideas

tas

Bawnie
16-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi tas
I'd paint the pot with lots of memories of your parents, as in their little things, as in what they liked... sewing or reading.. etc.. or just different coloured flowers perhaps their favourite flowers. Just pick up the brush and whatever comes to mind. Personally i think the undercoat should be dark but the top a bright colour to reflect personality, and use a sealer on it too to make it every lasting.... Enjoy the transformation, it'll be beautiful and the bird bath is my favourite on the Rockery surrounded in lovely plants to compliment your home and the memories inside and out!

HappyHunter
16-10-2008, 11:58 PM
I found this image on a website about painting cast iron pans and other items:

http://www.cindyssignsandsuch.com/images/Cast_Iron_Skillets_with_sunflowers.JPG

RockyD
18-10-2008, 05:33 PM
What lovely ideas this is the place to get wonderful ideas and advice. Good luck and let us see what you come up with when you decide. Good Wishes.