PDA

View Full Version : Bees

smokeyeyes
18-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Does anyone know how to send a nest of wasp/bees to sleep please ? Have had them before in roof of outside room and had to call in exterminator, which cost a packet! Have since heard you can treat this yourself while bees/wasps are all asleep in nest. They are presently nesting in eaves of house, everytime I step outside backdoor I am ducking and diving for fear of getting stung. Plus my poor pooch thinks it's a great game to go chasing them!!

All suggestions welcome, A.S.A.P. Thanks

Florin
18-10-2008, 01:38 PM
smoke

smokeyeyes
18-10-2008, 01:41 PM
smoke

LOL - I do!

No seriously Florin i know what you mean but don't have whatever apparatus you need to do that. I'm thinking sprays/powder ?

smokeyeyes
18-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks Mags2, this sounds more like what i'm looking for. Will take myself off to the hardware store now and buy me some. Cheers.

narki
18-10-2008, 02:07 PM
If they are in the eaves they are most probably wasps and if I was you I wouldn't go near them .A wasp will give off a warning to the other wasps when they are under attack and you could find yourself under attack . Better off leaving them alone they will die of the cold soon and will not return to an old nest.

maninblack
18-10-2008, 03:20 PM
I would hold out for a while before taking any action.
They are dying off now and trying to smoke them out would only agitate them.
As far as I know, they never return to the same nest so if you can put up with them for a short while longer you should be in the clear.

mammasboys
19-10-2008, 06:44 PM
You need to establish if they are bees or wasps. If they are bees, call the local bee keepers group (see irishbeekeepers.ie) and one of their members will probably come and take them away for you.
If they are wasps, spray a bit of ant dust into the entrance. They will walk the powder into the nest. It's very effective. Good luck!

woodgreen
02-11-2008, 11:36 PM
mammasboys is dead right , i have kept bees as a child and completly agree ...

smokeyeyes
03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
UPDATE: Bought Rentokil bee/wasp powder in Woodies and puffed into entrance to nest. Bingo! they're gone. They were wasps by the way. Thanks for all suggestions.

Kernow
03-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I'v a Wasps nest in a redundant chimney in my house. I wouldn't get rid of them for anything. They fly out the chimney and go horizontal, never had a wasp in the house or in the garden immediatly around the house.

Wasps from other nests tend to avoid nests of others, so don't even get visiting Wasps. Plus, when they're active I have the pleasure in watching flocks of birds swooping around the chimney enjoying their buffet of fresh wasps as they fly out the chimney.

mammasboys
18-07-2010, 08:26 PM
The wasps will all die over the winter except for the queen, I believe. You could wait until then, then squirt a little ant dust into the opening of the hive and any queen that smells the hive when roused in the spring will walk in the dust and ingest it while she grooms. Then, you are only killing one.
But be aware that in the future, other wasps will smell the old nest and will try to re-inhabit the space. So you will have to remove the entire structure. Alternatively a good blast of the ant dust should remain dry in the crevice until the spring and kill off any new potential residents or the scouts at least.

arielart
10-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Does anyone know how to send a nest of wasp/bees to sleep please ? Have had them before in roof of outside room and had to call in exterminator, which cost a packet! Have since heard you can treat this yourself while bees/wasps are all asleep in nest. They are presently nesting in eaves of house, everytime I step outside backdoor I am ducking and diving for fear of getting stung. Plus my poor pooch thinks it's a great game to go chasing them!!

All suggestions welcome, A.S.A.P. Thanks

Killing wasps is fairly easy to do.
However bees are protected by Irishlaw and although they can be relocated it is an offence to kill them. If you have honey bees for example a beekeeper from FIBKA (the national beekeping association )or a regional bee keeping association may only be too happy to reclaim them and relocate them. Bumble bees or solitary bees are protected as an endangered insect.

Arielart