PDA

View Full Version : Question (Cold snap? / Global Warming?)

HappyHunter
29-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi everyone

Just wondering if this Global warming is affecting everyone or is it just me whose freezing and is it just Kilkenny where there is sleet for the 1st time that I can remember in late October ;)

Freezing HappyHunter

Linn
29-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Its snowing in Kinnegad. But it is also raining.
It was snowing here yesterday to.
And yes it is freezing. Time for the termal underwear lads and lassies.

Tallon
29-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Snowing here in kildare

mrsdavidbrent
29-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi
I'm in Kildare,Prosperous, and its freezing here too.It was snowing for the last couple of hours, but it just turned to rain in the last few minutes.cant say i ever remember snow for halloween. ps my sister is in Lucan and its been raining there all day.

Global warming???

Lorraine

HappyHunter
29-10-2008, 01:21 PM
I think it's actually Global cooling we are seeing, not Global Warming. Sun spots have gone way down or have been non existent.

Temperature Monitors Report Widescale Global Cooling

Michael Asher (Blog) - February 26, 2008

Twelve-month long drop in world temperatures
wipes out a century of warming

Over the past year, anecdotal evidence for a cooling planet has exploded.
China has its coldest winter in 100 years. Baghdad sees its first snow in all
recorded history. North America has the most snowcover in 50 years, with
places like Wisconsin the highest since record-keeping began. Record
levels of Antarctic sea ice, record cold in Minnesota, Texas, Florida,
Mexico, Australia, Iran, Greece, South Africa, Greenland, Argentina, Chile
-- the list goes on and on.

No more than anecdotal evidence, to be sure. But now, that evidence has
been supplanted by hard scientific fact. All four major global temperature
tracking outlets (Hadley, NASA's GISS, UAH, RSS) have released updated
data. All show that over the past year, global temperatures have dropped
precipitously.

A compiled list of all the sources can be seen here. The total amount of
cooling ranges from 0.65C up to 0.75C -- a value large enough to wipe
out most of the warming recorded over the past 100 years. All in one
year's time. For all four sources, it's the single fastest temperature change
ever recorded, either up or down.

http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature+Monitors+Report+Widescale+Global+Cooling/article10866.htm

http://www.spaceweather.com/

bluecurlygirl
29-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Was snowing up here in Cavan earlier but sure we couldn't get too long without rain! Rain over lunchtime and it's bitterly bitterly cold. I have more layers than an onion and I can still feel it. Can't wait to get home to a warm fire, cuppa tea and cuddles from the kids! (Oh yeah and a jumping on by the dog!!)

tasmin
30-10-2008, 03:15 PM
hi happyhunter.

i agree the weather of late is a bitr crazy.

i was just saying as much to my hubby on saturday, after nearly been blown away coming back from newry...my car was swaying from side to side, so much so that i actually slowed down to something like 50k on the way back because it was sooo bad.
really scary!!

and the next day the sun was shining.

yesterday i was soaked through to the skin after been caught out without a rain coat, and today, as i am typing this its looks like a summers day and not that cold either.

strange weather indeeded!

global warming/cooling? not sure what it is, but the weather sure is strange of late.

used to be u could depend on the rain in ireland, cause thats all it ever did, was RAIN...cant even depend on that anymore :-)

ohh whats the world coming too lol

tas

Mickey
30-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Where are you tasmin? I am in Wicklow town and it could not be a more bitterly cold day! The wind nearly knocked me off my feet and the rain comes and goes and it's looked like twilight for the last 2 hours here.

So much for global warming - I'd honestly prefer that right now because even when it's warmer I am freezing - as I type I have gone beyond not feeling my fingertips to thinking I should take painkillers because they re too sore right now (I suppose single glazing does that then).

Enjoy the good weather while you can :o)

HappyHunter
30-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Dunno where you are tasmin but where I am in "The Sunny South East" of Ireland the last two summers were a wash out, no shortage of rain whatsoever and the last week has been freezing cold. Last night there was frost on the bins at 9pm and during the day there was sleety rain falling with a wind that cut right through me bones, and I was well wrapped up. Today there was a little sun, but there were showers and a wind that was blowing up the garden. It is so cold that the poor dogs won't not even go outside.

Fizzywitch
30-10-2008, 06:31 PM
And I was living in hope about the 'global warming' I had my sunglasses at the ready and my factor 100 suncream! I feel depressed now, global cooling <sob>
I read that the reason for the wet and cold summers over the last 2 years in the UK and here is because the jet stream shifted down over the south toward France when it should be across us.
So that is probably why we are ankle deep in mud here and all our animals are starting to develop webbed feet, apart from the ducks obviously!! :-)

There has always, throughout history been many changes in the weather so I suppose it may be just a bad run although I suspect this winter will be a bad one!

tasmin
30-10-2008, 06:39 PM
hi all, i'm in dublin.

today the sun was shining and it wasnt too cold, i actually had to take off my jacket while taking up a few leaves in the garden.

but right now, its bitter cold and pouring rain and a breeze that would cut through u.

fn weather is so changable.

and u should see my garden now...i think half trhe leaves on the trees where blew off. :-/

tas