PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Pages.

Fries-With-That
05-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I agree with most people in regards to the wanted pages. I've just had a brief look at them and it appears that people posting on these pages are also indicating that they would be willing to take any item thats offered. Do you have a way to check that people are not using several names to advertise for items wanted and then sell the items if they get them ?.I think this is a great service and would hate to see it abused by a few greedy members.

Debracd
05-10-2006, 08:37 PM
I would never have even thought of that Fries! But to be honest, I'm trying to get a rid of a load of stuff relatively quickly(moving house)and I really don't care if someone makes a few quid as soon as I hand it over so long as I don't have to either hold out for a buyer or dump it in a skip!

I'm sure the admins can check peoples IP addresses if they were suspicious of anyone. But at the end of the day does it really matter so long as the stuff doesn't end up in a landfill?

Deb

Aceshigh
05-10-2006, 09:30 PM
If you have the type of friends and family as me then you will know that of all of us I am the only one on the internet and they cant afford much or even know what the internet is so i have found that it has become my duty to help all of them by trying to find things that they are looking for now unfortunatly i havent been able to find my porsch but if i do rest assured I wont be selling it on otherwise i am in agreement does it matter as long as it isnt dumped

Chris P
05-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Hi Everyone,

JumbleTown Admin has responded to similar comments before. Please see the following thread:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=2055

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)

tiddleye
06-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Actually there is an ethical line to this point. Apart from the enviromental point of view, it is gaining goods by deception, basically this is embezlement which is a crime. I am sure that Jumbletown was set up in order to save our enviroment and not to give an income suppliment to the "less honest" in our community.
Unwanted goods are passed on to those in need of them in good faith, wether they be less well off or unable to afford such items new. It would be easier in some situations to give to charities that we all know that will sell these items on...still keeping 80% of them out of landfill.
I for one like the idea of doing something proactive to maintain this beautiful country and have the extra benifit of maybe meeting new freinds along the way And doing a good deed to some one who NEEDS the things i no longer have a use for.

Regards

Tid :-)

buffy
06-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I would never have even thought of that Fries! But to be honest, I'm trying to get a rid of a load of stuff relatively quickly(moving house)and I really don't care if someone makes a few quid as soon as I hand it over so long as I don't have to either hold out for a buyer or dump it in a skip!

I'm sure the admins can check peoples IP addresses if they were suspicious of anyone. But at the end of the day does it really matter so long as the stuff doesn't end up in a landfill?

Deb

buffy

Sure as you probably know there are lots of traders landlords etc. on here. think its awful the way they can get so many suites of furniture beds,table=chairs and more than likely sell them on in the buy and sell etc, but its up to the givers who they give the items to and not anybody
else.Its unfortunate but thats the way it is.I thought I had it figured out by the amount of posts they had but they can I assume change their user names and start with low post counts.And then theres the pms rather than keeping it on the thread.

Debracd
06-10-2006, 11:54 AM
All I'm saying is that I personally don't mind who takes the stuff. Whether it's a landlord or someone who shows a bit of initiative and starts up a stall at the local market and makes a few quid. The fact is that I have no interested in gaining from the stuff I'm giving away nor do I have the time to, but if someone else does then fair play to them. I'm under no illusions that I'm giving stuff away for the good of the reciever, I'm giving stuff away that may be of interest to other people because I'm finished with them and don't want them to end up in the dump!

Most charity shops do not take large items. The only place that really takes big items is the StVdeP in Dublin, and when I rang them a while back to give them a 3mth old cooker that had literally been used 5 times, they told me to bring it to a recycling centre because they were packed to the gills with stuff they couldn't get rid of!

Buffy I do agree with you on the PM thing though, but maybe thats from spending too much time on boards lol. Keeping it in the thread(except contact details etc) does help sort out the first come first served thing. But that's down to the person who's giving the item away. It doesn't seem to be a rule of the site which means you can choose to give an item to whomever you choose, not just the first person who sends you a message.

Deb

Chris P
06-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Allow me to restate JumbleTown Admin's views on this matter by reminding all concerned of the following posts:

(8-10-06):

JumbleTown is not a charity site -- it is an environmental site. The User Guide and several posts by the Admin make clear that the site's primary function is to help people pass on unwanted, useful and generally bulky items to others in their immediate community or throughout Ireland. The Giving and Taking process (what we call "life-cycling") postpones an item's entry into costly recycling and landfill systems.

(28-8-06):

Undoubtedly some 'selling-on' does occur on JumbleTown, but it would be impossible for JumbleTown Admin to dictate to Givers who they should pass an item on to -- in other words, Givers are free to pass on an item to whomever they want, be it the first, second or even tenth respondent. Givers make their own judgement call.

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)

Fries-With-That
07-10-2006, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=Chris P]Allow me to restate JumbleTown Admin's views on this matter by reminding all concerned of the following posts:

What have I done, I started this thread as a general observation.
I understand the concept of this site and as I have previously stated I think the idea is excellent.I did not make the comment as a means to annoy anybody or to upset any member of Jumbletown.
I also understand that any particular person may or may not be using this site on behalf of one or several members of their family.

Let me also say that this to me represents the ultimate in recycling, I have over the past few months had reason to visit our local recycling centre and have been dismayed to see the diversity of items that people no longer have a use for. The trouble with these centres is that no one is allowed "take" things away for insurance reasons.
So long may this site remain in operation providing people like thee and me the forum to dispose to whomever we choose our no longer needed worldly goods.

Fries-With-That

mel
14-10-2006, 08:22 PM
I am so pleased to have found sites like these! There exist four formerly homeless men, in four bedsits in Dublin city, who have benefited greatly from a lot of recycling done by conscientious citizens on this site and others. It is lovely to have help to supply the comfort items needed to make life a little cosier for people living with four walls in bedsitland - like mattresses without springs, or an extra bed sofa for an offspring to use the occasional night, or a cooker with all burners working, a toaster for brekkie, or an old TV or PS for entertainment, etc. I agree that it is difficult to get larger items collected, but I have had generous donors deliver the items to their front door.

Thanks Everyone
Mel