PDA

View Full Version : Green Christmas Window

bluecurlygirl
27-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi folks, half my neighbours have their houses lit up like dublin airport for the past two weeks! Drives me nuts. Anyway, I want to get cracking on my own decorations next week but I'm looking for ideas to do up my window. I have lots of glass jars and food tins ready for decorating and turning into lanterns. I have any amount of cotton wool for snow. I need lots of ideas of easy things to do that won't take up too much time. Also, anything that can include a three year old who loves getting hold of the craft glue!! Thanks a million.

[Update 21 Dec - yeah about time] I'm gonna post up some photos of the window finished but the photos didn't come out great but I'll show you the photos of everything that went up in the window.

Lots of cds covered with old christmas cards and the penguin is wrapping paper. The wreath was done the way Unapam said and then bits of sheet & ribbon entwined and roped around skeleton leaves I had in my craft box and the "berries" are quality street wrappers! The angel is also from a card I got last year and she's so gorgeous so I just carefully cut around her outline and suspended her from a thing strip of ribbon. The second one was just wrapping paper twisted round - scrunched up the pale yellow one and left the red one intact. The snowflake was one that didn't go up on the window. Some of the cards (the 3d one with the snowman and what looks like silver snow!) were embossed. The silver snow is actually white with tiny flecks of silver in it. The little Christmas tree came with a chinese takeaway last Christmas eve! There's a jar in the window too I took a close up of it. It was a coffee jar and myself and my 3 year old munchkin took into painting two of them. I put outline stickers on both of them and away we went. Removed her sticker when the paint was dry and that's what you see there. I removed my sticker and big lumps of the paint came with it and broke the outline sticker too! Annoyed me a little that! The only thing bought in my window is the little tri-fold Santa, Reindeer and toy train that I bought for two euros! And a practically empty green bin! Really proud of my window folks. Thanks for all the ideas. I'm gonna start earlier next year and add to all these wondrous things. Sorry I did buy something else - a disco ball for €8! It's great fun on a foggy night with the curtains open! Merry Christmas everyone and thanks again for my beautiful window.

Emer

P.S. The dog in the photo is not part of the display. She's very fond of cameras! Proof enclosed now too!

kiara
27-11-2008, 01:23 PM
hi bluecurlygirl, if you cut snowflakes out of thick white card and let your 3yr old glue on the glitter? then you can hang them in your window at different lenghts? kiara x

misstake
27-11-2008, 01:25 PM
dont forget the holly and if you can find old cards with robins on cut them out also plenty for a child to do to help

bluecurlygirl
27-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Keep them comin folks. I'm lovin it so far. I want a really good window to show to those who feel the need to use enough lights to make the national grid surge (or meltdown!). Won't be doing any robins though - a bit of a superstition. But I have plenty of snowmen and santa and reindeers.

paprika
27-11-2008, 02:09 PM
You can make decorations of bits of straw into the window and for the tree.

misstake
27-11-2008, 02:14 PM
i have two china robbins given to me by edwina mountbatten when i was a kid mmmmmmmm ok a very long time ago and still put them on the tree along with a very nice match box parceled by my oldest when she was a child This year my two grandsons will add to my tree with their own made bits lol havent been told yet what they are its my surprise which im lookng forward to

paprika
27-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Dried orange, apple, lemon and grapefruit slices make nice decoration, too. I'm making a christmas wreath like this for the table, and one for the door.

paprika
27-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Decorations mae of string, pinecones and bits around the house...

paprika
27-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Tracing paper glued behind shapes cut out of white or colour peper, also you can gat tracing paper in different colours. Just pop a small lamp or candle behind it, it' lovely.
Now I got too excited... I'm off to make some of these thing for myself! ;)

bluecurlygirl
27-11-2008, 02:49 PM
I might have known that you'd have loads of ideas. I'm off to search the "allfreecrafts" website too for ideas although keep going with these ones and I won't need to they're so good - but I especially love the one with the tracing paper behind it and a little tealight (in one of my jars maybe to keep it safe). The wreaths are gorgeous too. Lovely lovely ideas. Keep them coming - I'll be lucky to get any christmas shopping done at this stage (or housework ...)

bluecurlygirl
27-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Paprika, did you buy the dried apples etc or did you cut them up and let them dry out yourself? I have any amount of pine cones too from numerous nature walks (and chestnuts - some still in their shells!). I have a lovely little candle holder for the table already. It just needs some repairs done to it and it'll be fine. Need a wreath for the front door though. But would really love to create maybe a christmas village in my bay window but it would have to be safe enough for a 3 year old and a dog (big eejit of a labrador)! Doing snowflakes tonight - I have loads of different colours of glitter. Also have loads of embossing powder which may be better again. Oh I just remembered, I have a beautiful porcelain angel setting a dove free that I bought in dunnes last year - gorgeous. She'll have to go into the window too.

paprika
27-11-2008, 03:22 PM
60 dkg flour
30 dkg salt
1,25 dl water

mix these then gradually add more water, appr. 1,25 dl again, until it's a firm dough. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and paint them, or you can make small figurines too.
Bake in the oven 120 C for 2 hours.

You can hang these on the tree or in the windows, or dot around the house. I loved it when I was a kid, now found the recipie again!

Just found a pic, you can add wire or bells (or ANYTHING) to the shapes to make them nicer.

And if you mix some cocoa powder or something brown to the dough it's gonna look like real gingerbread. Only thing, it's NOT EDIBLE!

paprika
27-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Paprika, did you buy the dried apples etc or did you cut them up and let them dry out yourself? I have any amount of pine cones too from numerous nature walks (and chestnuts - some still in their shells!). I have a lovely little candle holder for the table already. It just needs some repairs done to it and it'll be fine. Need a wreath for the front door though. But would really love to create maybe a christmas village in my bay window but it would have to be safe enough for a 3 year old and a dog (big eejit of a labrador)! Doing snowflakes tonight - I have loads of different colours of glitter. Also have loads of embossing powder which may be better again. Oh I just remembered, I have a beautiful porcelain angel setting a dove free that I bought in dunnes last year - gorgeous. She'll have to go into the window too.

I've dried them meself. Made lovely decorations last year, was gonna use the bits again, but oh no, they are covered in mold! So new load of apple and orange slices are drying on the stove now. I like to make all festive decorations myself. Bit time consuming but great fun! And there are so many good sites! Like the allfreecrafts.

If you pop them into the oven they dry out quicker.

bluecurlygirl
27-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Lookin forward to the dough and the drying of fruit! Found another website called howstuffworks and it shows you how to make angels etc. Some nice stuff on it. Thanks a million.

bluecurlygirl
27-11-2008, 03:58 PM
..... but whats a dkg and a dl? I'm an old fashioned girl who works on pounds and ounces (grams also). Teaspoons, tablespoons, mls.... can you convert for me please?

Elnr83
27-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Please convert as I'm a little simple and have no idea what those measurements are either!!

You lot will have my heart broken!! It's because of this site that i've convinced my whole family to make our own Christmas presents so I now have 15 things to make and now I want to make decorations too!!!

I'll have to give up sleeping soon :o)

bluecurlygirl
27-11-2008, 04:15 PM
You make me laugh. I know the feeling. I'll have to give up the day job, the housework, time on facebook - actually facebook has already gone to the dogs I'm afraid (sorry winnie!). I spend more time on here than I do talking to my other half who has moved to England with work since June. I miss him dreadfully but I can't get off this site! That's bad isn't it. Oh but I'm really on a mission with the christmas decorations I'm afraid. And I love the ideas. And well done Elnr for getting all your family involved. I'm still working on mine.

Elnr83
27-11-2008, 04:27 PM
I know the feeling! Totaly addicted!!

To be honest I think I'm in a little over my head with the Christmas pressies!! Have to get sewing sewing sewing!!!

I even got bought a sewing machine as an engagement present from my friends who heard what I was doing :)

paprika
27-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Ooops, sorry, my apologies! These are the short versions for dekagramm and deciliter. I'm bad at imperial measurements, so will try to convert it to tablespoons. 1 tablespoon of flour is roughly 1 dkg. With the salt I'm not too sure, about half tablespoon for a dkg.
1.25 dl is exactly half cup, or so my IKEA measuring thingies say.

I'm not sure I will have time to make these things this year, can't find the Off button on the baby... Or at least to figure out how to turn the volume down!

She is 8 month, bluecurlygirl. And in the middle of teething... And starts screaming when I try to put her down :0

bluecurlygirl
27-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Nice of them to buy it for you though. But yeah sometimes you're better off not saying anything! Just do the job.... Does it all have to be sewing though? Could you make little boxes and fill them with their favourite biscuits (homemade of course). I have a great link to Susan Branch's website (another personal favourite) in which she has a big cookie jar full of recipes.... I feel my hips expand every time I look at it. mmmmmmmm

bluecurlygirl
27-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Paprika, what age is your bundle of joy?

paprika
27-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Or if you are good with thread and needle... Especially for Elnr83 ;)

paprika
27-11-2008, 05:04 PM
For the recycling of bits of felt and clothes pegs...

paprika
27-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Really simple: stick pins with nice heads or cloves into oranges and hang them withh a nice ribbon. Smells good, too.

summersun
27-11-2008, 09:20 PM
HI Bluecurlygirl,

Wow Paprika is such an inspiration..... as you say you are in Belturbet not so far away from me in Clones we should invite Paprika over for a make some Chrimbo Decorations Party..... I have been dying to put decorations up for weeks so you have made my day to hear some homes have theirs up allready. I am off to Belturbet boot sale on Sunday as one of the regular stall holders tells me he has loads of chrimbo decs.

Hope you get loads of ideas...

Summersun

Bunty
27-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Paprika,
These & all your decorations are absolutely beautiful. You really are a STAR. B

bluecurlygirl
27-11-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm with ya and that invite to paprika. Could we sit back & drink loads of wine and watch paprika do it all? We could take turns at rocking the baby too!

paprika
27-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Here is a link how to make a lovely decoration from a sheet of paper.

http://www.komplett-otthon.hu/index.php?tev=cikk&id=u9

No, it's not my credit, I just looked at my favourite Hungarian sites, and they had some links to more.
Will try to find the photos of last years decorations though, managed to make the whole house really festive - all home made and recycled, and cut during the walks.

paprika
27-11-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm with ya and that invite to paprika. Could we sit back & drink loads of wine and watch paprika do it all? We could take turns at rocking the baby too!

Like the offer!

No car though, so I have to stay stuck in the Middle of Nowhere, here in county Galway... :(

Good nite!

bluecurlygirl
27-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Hope you get a good night's sleep. Thanks for all the ideas to keep me awake!!!
Take care,

Emer

Logging off now to go cut out snowflakes for tomorrow evening glitter-fest. I'll be picking it out of every oriface no doubt!

paprika
28-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Just found this: glue paper on old CDs and you can glue festive pictures on them from xmas serviettes. Also glue ribbon under the paper and hold 3 CDs together. Simple, looks good and your 3year old can go mad with the glue ;)

paprika
28-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Or if you have a plastic ball or anything round, you can glue ribbons or sting all over it and glue some bits on it and hang it up with a ribbon.

paprika
28-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Using odd bits of coloured paper and string...

unapam
28-11-2008, 05:29 PM
What lovely ideas they all are. I am going to give some of them a try too. Thanks!

paprika
28-11-2008, 06:04 PM
http://szmari.uw.hu/fv/foltvarras/karacsonyi/karacsony.html

unapam
28-11-2008, 09:01 PM
This is my "Green" decoration I made from scrap fabric and ribbons and bows salvaged from last years gift sets + a large vintage button. It is quite rough and rustic but I love that look. It will be given as a small gift for one of my crafting friends in Germany.

Just spotted the last post.....Thanks Paprika! :-)

More of my creations for Christmas. The rag doll is a dog toy I made for my dog who just HATES the vet. Now she can get her revenge!

bluecurlygirl
30-11-2008, 01:49 AM
The ideas are fantastic - keep them coming. Progress to date is the snowflakes are made. We couldn't find glitter - can you believe that? Only glitter glue which is rubbish for the effect we wanted so we did emboss some card which I know is bold (using electricity & all) but I figured it'd be less lights glowing this christmas so I could indulge a little. Doing cd's tomorrow too. Don't know what to put on them yet. The effect I'm going for is a christmas village. Might put some pics of old cards of christmas houses - have few stickers like that with cardmaking too! Mmmm. Want to get some photos of the kids in winter gear and make little figures of them possibly! Picture of snowman.... Anyway, would love to make little light up village if anyone has any ideas. I have loads of jars, tins (tomatoes) and I have a coke can that I'm thing of making a star of david out of if anyone knows how to do that! Will post pictures when it's all done - if the glare isn't too bad on what will be my lovely clean windows!!!! You only really notice how bad they are at this time of year when you go to do stuff like this!! Well for me anyway.

P.S. My window sill is narrow and I need to place something on it to make everything visible outside & in so anything I make can't be too heavy & can't have a very wide area supporting them from behind if that helps....

rccrchickie
30-11-2008, 01:06 PM
You will need tin snips, heavy duty gloves, nail and a hammer.

Carefully remove the top and bottom of the can, then cut a line down the side so you can flatten out the can.

Cut out your star shape and use the nail and hammer to punch a design in it.

Just the edges I am a bit unsure about so they arn't sharp.

Might find more information on this site
http://craftzine.com/projects/

bluecurlygirl
30-11-2008, 10:36 PM
... I've just got a project for my 17 year old son now! Hee hee. Thanks a million rccrchickie (hope i got that right!). Keep them comin.

Griffen
30-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Cut out a simple bird shape from card & get your three old to decorate it.Then fold white (?) paper into a fan & stick the fan onto the bird's body (at the top of the back) so the fan becomes the wings. Suspend the bird using thread.(Saw this in Norway. 6 birds = a flock of doves?

bluecurlygirl
01-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks for that Griffen. Lovely idea. Keep them comin'.

Elnr83
01-12-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't know how I missed all the new ideas :)

Thanks Paprika those are lovely!! Now I just have to bruch up on my (very) rusty sewing skills.

Decided to sew stuff and have made a start so I'll carry on :os

I think some of the others in the family are doing lovely foody things :)

I would tell you all what I'm making but both my sisters are avid fans of the site so it would ruin the surprise he he!

bluecurlygirl
01-12-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't mind you pm'ing me (cos I'm very nosy!) and you can send some pics too if you like!
By the way folks will be posting up some pics soon of the things we've done so far. The cd's came out gorgeous. I got a gatefold card from a good friend last year and it was so pretty that I couldn't get rid of it so it's now making a lovely 3d image on one of the cd's. Thanks paprika. I tried to photograph them last night but a certain vain 3 1/2 year old had wasted the batteries on the camera from constantly sneaking off with it to look at pictures of herself!

unapam
01-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Don't forget the furry friends when you are decorating this Christmas!
This is a little bandanna I made for my yorkie, Pretty.
Sorry pic is a bit blurry...this pampered one is a reluctant supermodel!
I now have to make two more or the others will be jealous...

bluecurlygirl
01-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Here's another recipe for salt dough that I found. Haven't tried it yet so...
Salt Dough Ornament Recipe

Supplies:

4 cups of flour

1 cup of salt

1-1/2 cups of hot water

holiday cookie cutters

decorations - glitter, paint, beads, etc

Unapam, one pampered pooch you got there - and I thought our one was bad! She's whinging at me when I start typing cos she wants to be constantly petted! Nice handiwork.

bluecurlygirl
01-12-2008, 11:26 PM
I have loads of this paper that I had left over from a wedding invitation order. I think this is lovely.

Elnr83
02-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Oh Lord that is one of the cutest things I've seen in a long time!!

I think my Yorkie might have to get one of those :)

How did you do the writing? Do you have a mega fancy sewing machine?

Elnr83
02-12-2008, 09:50 AM
That is beautiful Bluecurlygirl!!

I was actually thinking of asking you for some of that paper for arts & crafts. (it is you giving it away right). Also I am looking for ideas for my home made wedding invitations and these might be perfect!

Is there any left?

Elnr83
02-12-2008, 12:07 PM
My apologies to Bluecurlygirl!

Here is the person giving away music sheets...

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=38949

unapam
02-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Oh Lord that is one of the cutest things I've seen in a long time!!

I think my Yorkie might have to get one of those :)

How did you do the writing? Do you have a mega fancy sewing machine?

My sewing machine embroiders for me. I'm afraid I'm not that good by hand!

You could do the same thing with a Tippex pen (the one with a really fine point) and put dots around the edge instead.

unapam
02-12-2008, 12:52 PM
I have loads of this paper that I had left over from a wedding invitation order. I think this is lovely.

How are they done? I absolutely love them and have some music paper.

Elnr83
02-12-2008, 12:56 PM
So do you just write it out and follow it with the sewing machine yourself? or do you have a fancy thing to type into and the machine does itself!

bluecurlygirl
02-12-2008, 01:58 PM
I'll post up the link to the craft site this evening when I get home from work. They're gorgeous aren't they?

bluecurlygirl
02-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Domesticali shares a photo tutorial showing us how to make these sweet origami mini-wreath ornaments. I love that she used sheet music to make these--very ...
blog.craftzine.com/archive/2008/11/how_to_origami_miniwreaths.html
Labeled CRAFT:Blog

Okay I tried to get into that myself & it didn't work. Someone else posted up craftzine link on this thread and I found a treasure trove on it! Really worth a look - chairs out of clothes hangers!! Anyway, go to www.craftzine.com and search for origami wreaths and you'll get the link that way. Have fun! I am.

unapam
02-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi, my sewing machine has a microchip so I just have to type in the words and it does it for me. Before I had that I used to use the Tippex pen for things like this. (Tippex is indestructable and washable...have you ever tried to get it out of you clothes?)

I found the exact tutorial for the music wreath on www.domesticali.typepad.com It is a blog posted late November. So click on November in the Archives on the right hand side and scroll down.

I printed it off and I am going to try it tonight. It looks REALLY easy. I'll post a pic if it works out.

UPDATE: I made it and it is easy. Here is a photo and another of it in situ hanging from the candle holder

bluecurlygirl
03-12-2008, 10:24 AM
I made mine last night and it only took a few minutes. The instructions sounded tricky but when you put it into practice it's no probs. And they're so cute.

Elnr83
03-12-2008, 10:27 AM
I can't see that site in work :'(

Is there any chance if someone gets a chance they could copy and paste it into this thread?

Looks beautiful by the way Unapam!!

bluecurlygirl
03-12-2008, 10:59 AM
A little paper ornament - simple to make, perfect for popping inside a Christmas Card. Want to have a go? I promised a tutorial, so here's what to do.

You'll need to begin with a rectangle of paper 4cm wide by 8 cm long. Choose paper with a bit of body - really lightweight stuff won't hold the folds as well or appear 3 dimensional when finished. I'm using some nice old sheet music.

Fold your rectangle in half lengthwise ( keep the prettier side out if your paper is only patterned on one side) to give you a folded strip 8cm by 2cm.

Fold in half crosswise so your piece is now 4cm by 2cm (like the one on the left). You then need to fold down the corners at each end of the strip.

Hold your folded strip with the open edges to the top. Grab both layers of the top right hand side and fold them at 45 degrees to meet the bottom edge. Then do the same with the top left hand side.

You will be left with shapes like this. Each wreath takes 8 of them to complete.

Hold the first piece by the points. If you look carefully at the top edge, you'll see that there are two little pockets formed between the layers of paper. If you imagine they are numbered 1 2 3 and 4, you need to slide one folded point of the next piece, between layers 1 and 2 and the other between layers 3 and 4.

I wish I could just show you, it'd be a lot easier! But try it, it's simpler than I am making it sound.

Push the second piece down into the first until the tips touch the bottom of the pocket.

Then go on with the third piece in exactly the same way.

Continue round. The eighth and final piece gets the tips of the first piece tucked into its pocket to complete the circle.

Fiddle with them to adjust so the wreath looks an even shape.

I added a hanging loop by threading a bit of embroidery cotton through one of the tips using a needle.

You could go to town with fancy Christmas papers, upcycled glossy magazines, text from an old book - the origami wreath world is your oyster.

wendywii
03-12-2008, 12:05 PM
hi there just another idea for decorations and ofcourse they smell very festive too...
you'll need some fine cinnamon and some applesauce (if you dont have applesauce, craft glue will do)
mix together till you get it in a dough, roll out flat, use cookie cutters to cut shapes (great fun for little ones) and poke a little hole at the top. dry on radators or bake at low temp in oven till dry - you can then use glue and glitter ( i use the cheap glitter glue tubes you buy at the pound shop). The smell is out of the world... no need for those pesky plug ins... LOVE IT!!

wendywii
03-12-2008, 12:13 PM
you can also paint glass bottles with cheap glass paint you get from craft stores, pop in a tealight , poke some holes in the lid for ventilation and Voila! I spray my shrubs outside with glitter spray and place "tealight bottles" with lids on all around. The sparkle from the litter by candle light is amazing!!

bluecurlygirl
03-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Love the name too - I have visions of a happy woman always twirling!! Lovely ideas. Was going to make the jar lights anyway but hadn't thought of the glitter on the plants outside! Very interesting.

Thanks again,

Emer

Elnr83
03-12-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm making these in work ha ha!!

Beats doing any real work!!

bluecurlygirl
03-12-2008, 04:39 PM
I like it - very colourful.

greenone
03-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Oh wow - I feel utterly inadequate. I have as much craft ability as the wall in front of me. How I wish I could do all the fantastic stuff. Thanks for all the ideas, I might just try something. I love the CD ideas. I hate hate hate it when I buy a newspaper and there is a stupid CD in it. I cant bear to throw it in the bin, so I keep them, forever!!
Any ideas for plastic tubs. I am a bad person who buys vanish stain remover powder in the big pink tubs and those yummy mini snowballs in Lidl. And although I put them in the green bin, I worry that they are still going to end up in landfill. I have some beside my desk and I shove pens and scrap into them.
Thanks and keep up the good work. And thanks for the links to the great craft sites too! :o)

bluecurlygirl
03-12-2008, 11:28 PM
... and anyone else that wants it. Don't know quite how to do it yet but fill one with sand maybe and cover it with some scrap paper (or photos of christmases past!) Make a small christmas tree to plant in it give it pride of place! Few pebbles, leaves on top!! Going looking for plastic tub...

Love the post you left on budget wedding tips by the way - your aunt is a clever lady! Thanks for sharing - it's gorgeous.
Sorry for subject change - back to thread sub, & search for tub!!!!

unapam
03-12-2008, 11:48 PM
This wreath was made from a piece of strong cardboard. I used a large plate to draw the shape and then a small plate to draw the opening inside. Cut them out.

Then I roughly cut out strips of white fabric (from Maxi -JT member) and wound it round the shape. Next I cut three long strips of same fabric and loosely plaited it and stitched the plait over the covering fabric.

Cut out some dove shapes from vintage music paper (from Shuvmed JT member) and hung a paper star (as seen earlier on this thread) and an old ornament from it.

Finished it off with a piece of white crushed velvet loosely tied into a bow(also from Maxi)...

...And voila! a very shabby chic Christmas wreath. There are threads and rough edges visible but that is part of the shabby charm (so says I anyway!)

bluecurlygirl
04-12-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm definitely going to do this now. Thank you so much Unapam - (personal note - don't give up on the card please.)

wendywii
04-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Why not paint the plastic pots and tubs or decoupage them with paper. Stick those wobbly eyes on (the large ones) a red pom pom nose and a big smile. Make two little holes in the bottom. Thread two pieces of string or bendy wire through the holes ( make sure the ends in the tub / pot is tied in a knot). I use old wine bottle corks, paint them black, poke a hole through them and thread through the wire / string. This is the legs for your little tub man. Fill with sand and place on the edge of windowsill. a little festive windowsill sitter! I think if you had a little plant in there like rosemary or thyme, it can be the little sitters hair. I think your little one would have great craic giving them haircuts!!
ps. a little tip - I also use a bit of bonding - just a layer or two over the paint and eyes - irish weather will wash everything away if they sit outside. Inside, they'll be fine.

wendywii
04-12-2008, 10:03 AM
if you can pull the labels off the tubs, you can make your own little gift tub. Fill with bath goodies etc. It will make a lovely gift. Or maybe if you have friend who can take a joke, you can use the vanish tubs (i dont know if you can remove the label, its printed onto the plastic isn't it?) with some household cleaning goodies, maybe a pair of gloves, a dishcloth, a little scrubbing brush, a little sample bottle of handlotion.... a gift voucher for grocery shop such as dunnes or tesco?h

wendywii
04-12-2008, 10:17 AM
ahhhhh bluecurlygirl, you've inspired me now to start a new thread... hahahaha we'll call it "recession x-mas gift ideas" hahahaha

paprika
04-12-2008, 10:49 AM
If you cut a few sticks and plait them together and tie bits of tiny left over fabric scraps and ribbons on it and hang a heart shape or something in the middle you gonna have a lovely wreath from material you couldn't really use for anything else.
It's a pity I don't have enough fabric scraps to make one... :(

For the window you can use glass paint too, it's lovely, you can draw angels, snow covered houses, snowflakes...

rccrchickie
04-12-2008, 06:01 PM
You could try tea bag folding. Stick two together back to back, with ribbon in between to make a loop.

Details on how to do a basic Tea Back Fold can be found here, however there are many ways to fold these.

http://www.cardinspirations.co.uk/tech/teabag_folding.htm

It was the photographs from bluecurlygirl, Elnr83 and Unapam that reminded me of this. Thanks for the memory jog.

rccrchickie
04-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Here is another tea bag folding site, with more ways of folding.

http://www.geocities.com/teabagfolding/index.html

Hope they are helpful.

greenone
04-12-2008, 11:29 PM
if you can pull the labels off the tubs, you can make your own little gift tub. Fill with bath goodies etc. It will make a lovely gift. Or maybe if you have friend who can take a joke, you can use the vanish tubs (i dont know if you can remove the label, its printed onto the plastic isn't it?) with some household cleaning goodies, maybe a pair of gloves, a dishcloth, a little scrubbing brush, a little sample bottle of handlotion.... a gift voucher for grocery shop such as dunnes or tesco?h

I would love to see the faces on certain people if I did that - lol!!

Seriously though - isn't this Christmas present thing outrageous. We'll all be back here in Jan giving away stuff that we already have 20 off. Maybe we can swap around for what we really need!

Bawnie
05-12-2008, 12:24 AM
What about thinking of children when you re-use those tubs? What about filling them with home made playdough or little treats? Or just turn them upsidown paint silver or gold and make into large Christmas bells!! Good luck with them!

You could also make them into a pot sitting down guy!! One for base, turned down open side up, then glue another on opposite of course and on and on, hope you get the idea!!

unapam
05-12-2008, 06:59 PM
This decoration uses the styrofoam base that comes with some pizzas.

Cut around the edges to give an uneven shape. Place half a styrofoam ball
(or a cotton wool ball) stick on google eyes (or black beads) and a carrot shaped piece of paper for a nose and a piece of fabric for the scarf.

Next you print out or handwrite the text and stick it on.

The text reads..."Every time a snowman melts...A snow angel goes to heaven!"

unapam
06-12-2008, 08:26 PM
This is so easy to make, costs nothing, uses all repurposed materials, looks expensive, is unique and only takes about a half an hour!

A circle of cardbaord covered with strips from an old lace curtain. The scalloped edge of the same curtain gathered a little and stitched on to the covering lace.
Add an origami paper music star and finish off with a selecton of broken costume jewellery (mine came from BiBi who sent me box of trimmings and broken jewellery) Thanks Bibi.
I have added some mistletoe to it but can't decide if less is more....What do you think?

tasmin
07-12-2008, 12:34 AM
wow, u lot are a clever bunch!

i've enjoyed reading all ur ideas and i must say, it makes u stop and think about the money we spend on expensive decorations, when we could make our own.

paprika, i made the star,2 of them lol and i have to say that although it looks hard to make, it is soooo easy!!!!!!!

i made my from A4 paper, then put some water based glue about them and threw glitter at it...looks beautiful and expensive.

i tried including my son, but he wanted nothing to do with it...kids eh!

unapam, that lace wreath u made is just beautiful!!!!!!

i'm going to make one of these for myself...really unique.

it looks like something from victorian/edwardian times.

keep up the good work.

all the best,

tas

unapam
07-12-2008, 01:13 AM
I agree with you Tasmin. It is crazy what we spend/waste on these things. When we make our own it is so satisfying and each one is a
one-off "designer" creation.

I'm guessing that these things we have shown here would cost a fortune in shops. When you consider they are made from repurposed materials that are readily to hand ...and so the cost to the earth is zero - well I love them all the more. I am thinking of making some of these wreaths as gifts. Thanks for your kind comments.

Elnr83
08-12-2008, 08:27 AM
The wreath is beautiful!! How do you come up with the ideas. I wish I was half as creative as you.

With the mistletoe I think less is more. I liked it more before you put it on but that's just my humble opinion :)

paprika
12-12-2008, 06:15 PM
I really love this one.

paprika
12-12-2008, 06:18 PM
i made my from A4 paper, then put some water based glue about them and threw glitter at it...looks beautiful and expensive.

This sounds cool, I have two in the main room, will try this on them.

paprika
12-12-2008, 06:53 PM
This looks nice too, the original is made with crochet, but puff paint (or whatever it is called exactly../) can be used instead.

paprika
12-12-2008, 07:24 PM
The original is made of plywood, but it can e made of some stout cardboard (good for recycling packaging material;)

unapam
12-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Lovely items Paprika, the reindeer (or is it a moose?) can also be made from felt. Love them, keep 'em coming.

bluecurlygirl
14-12-2008, 03:46 AM
Guys ye are amazing - paprika thank you. I thought my window was finished but I guess not!!! Chat ye on Christmas eve!!!!

bluecurlygirl
14-12-2008, 03:54 AM
A friend of mine told me that she doesn't send cards cos she doesn't get any. I thought this was sad. She helped me to make my Christmas wreath. So I made one for her and a handmade card too. She wasn't even going to put up decorations this year (two new kittens in the house!!!). The real delight was I told her I had made one for her and when I called down to deliver it she was in the middle of making her own one. I've been trying to get her into all this life-cycling for a long while with no joy and I walked in & saw her getting excited about doing it. And she decorated her house too! I was the one got the gift. I was very proud of myself for helping introduce her to it and when I thought about it I have to say some of the credit must go to Unapam cos if she hadn't posted how to make the wonderful wreaths then this would possibly not have happened yet! Must take photos of window (to date) & post them. Watch this space!!!

magiceight
14-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Check this out - such a simple idea but it looks really cool :)

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/28838/how-to-make-a-snowstorm

summersun
14-12-2008, 10:16 PM
A plea to Unpam , paprika or any of you other craft angels..... help please i was given a set of polystyrene balls three different sizes from 18in 12in and 6in which i want to turn into snowmen using the two larger sizes.... i have been looking for orange felt or material everywhere to make a carrot nose ive tried crepe paper and tissue but it dosent look right can any of you help or give me an idea for a light weight carrot nose as the balls are only about 1/2 cm thick
and i dont want to break him.....

great chrimbo dec ideas keep them coming, unapam i wish you lived closer to me

thanks everyone summersun

magiceight
14-12-2008, 10:41 PM
You can buy orange craft foam in most places that do craft supplies (art & hobby shop etc.)... it's fairly lightweight.

Or make a cone shape from lightweight card or sugar paper (do they call it that any more??) (again, available in orange), and crumple it a bit to give it an authentic carroty look.

You could also make a rough carrot shape from something like a scrunched up plastic bag, and wrap it with orange wool to give a slightly uneven ridged effect?

shonastar
14-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi Bluecurlygirl, (am posting here 'cos your inbox is full!!)
loved your post about getting your friend to help to make a wreath and she enjoyed it, giving really is recieving and it's such a pleasure!! I spent the afternoon having a make and do sessions with a friend's offspring and it was brill, all the best and Merry Xmas, I love following all these crafty ideas on Jt, hugs Vicky
(and of course the sinful choccy bites will be made again and again over the holidays lol!)
PS love, love, love the lacy wreath that Unapam made, it's divine as always!

unapam
15-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Could you use an orange crayon? or cut a shape from the styrofoam base that comes with a pizza and paint it with orange nail varnish.

Love all these ideas..keep them coming.

summersun
15-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Thankyou Magiclight, Shonastar and our queen Night owl Una Pam, i will try your ideas.... is sugar paper the same as crepe paper or tissue paper.... do you know if pva craft glue will glue polystyrene???

Thanks everybody
Summersun

magiceight
15-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Sugar paper is thicker than crepe paper or tissue paper - it's the stuff we all made crafts with at school, it comes in a range of colours. I think they call it construction paper too (?)... if you made a hollow cone from it, it wouldn't be too heavy.

PVA should be ok to glue polystyrene, although it might not adhere to it as well as to paper... it tends to do better on something that's a bit absorbent. I wonder would pritt stick do the job?

summersun
15-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks Magice...

Construction paper brings back memories ...

Thanks again
Summersun

Bibi
16-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Unapam,

That wreath is really vintage looking. It is absolutely gorgeous. Great to see that piece of jewellery re-purposed so effectively. ( Makes me want to try to do the same...you know what they say about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery!!) I do think less is more in this case though.

Well done.

Bibi.

magiceight
16-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Only Unapam can make an old net curtain look stylish lol

jeana
19-12-2008, 02:48 PM
I bought glass paint in woodies- you get a black outline liquid and trace the design then fill it in with the colours- like stained glass it's much better quality than the stick on gel yokes that melt in the summer-
problem is woodies doesn't sell it anymore- has anyone seen it anywhere?
Cheers
Jeana

bluecurlygirl
19-12-2008, 11:41 PM
You can get glass paint in craft shops. Hope this helps.

elbo
29-12-2008, 01:02 PM
This decoration uses the styrofoam base that comes with some pizzas.

Cut around the edges to give an uneven shape. Place half a styrofoam ball
(or a cotton wool ball) stick on google eyes (or black beads) and a carrot shaped piece of paper for a nose and a piece of fabric for the scarf.

Next you print out or handwrite the text and stick it on.

The text reads..."Every time a snowman melts...A snow angel goes to heaven!"

I made this for my grandchildren for Christmas and they were just mesmerised with it. A great successs!!!!
Hadn't got bottom of pizza, so used some packaging from t.v. (the white styrofoam). It was thick, but children didn't mind.
I hadn't got a ball, so I used electric carving knife to make the shape of the head, painted the head black with shoe polish, stuck a tiny piece of carved carrot in for the mouth, stuck 2 peppercorns on for eyes, a piece of red material for scarf and presto - magic!!!!!

paprika
10-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Found my photos afterall! At the end, after all the great ideas they don't seem so great. but it was good laugh making them :D

bluecurlygirl
10-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Paprika they're gorgeous. Well done. Did you make the little tiny wreaths with santa hanging of them at the side of your fireplace as well?

paprika
10-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Paprika they're gorgeous. Well done. Did you make the little tiny wreaths with santa hanging of them at the side of your fireplace as well?

Thanks bluecurlygirl :)
No, I did not, they are from Lidl. But I made everything on the tree, except the strawy thingies. I found out only later you have to get special handcut straw to shape it like this...
Just looked at your pics, it's really cool. Especially love the CDs! Definitely will try them in two years time, when my little girl will be able to use the glue ;)

And a big big thank you to everyone who sent me ribbons, materials, star anis and the other bits!!

summersun
10-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Papy, Papy, Papy,.... beautiful decs.... can i please place my order for some gingerbread men and some flower decs (right hand side of pic on tree about half way down)... please ... there are only 290 days to christmas...

love summersun xx

paprika
10-03-2009, 08:31 PM
That gingerman in the front was made by my husband :D It's a self portrait :D
The gingerbread dec is actually made of salt dough mixed with cocoa powder and decorated with dry beans, rice, star anis, red lentils and perforations. And I used some acrylic paint ona few of them.

summersun
10-03-2009, 09:39 PM
That gingerman in the front was made by my husband :D It's a self portrait :D
The gingerbread dec is actually made of salt dough mixed with cocoa powder and decorated with dry beans, rice, star anis, red lentils and perforations. And I used some acrylic paint ona few of them.

SOLD... yes please pappy or pappy's hubby... 3 of please.. xxx send me the bill will pay in advanceXX

ss

wells
15-03-2009, 02:08 PM
These are the snowflakes that I made from the directions you posted. The smaller ones are made from coloured post-it notes (was quiet at work during Christmas), and the bigger ones were made from magazine pages. We still have these up over the telly -they're cheerful and they twirl with the air currents :o)

unapam
11-10-2009, 01:35 AM
bumping this up for JPmum who is looking for ideas.

Chris P
08-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Bump for 2010.

Some great ideas here.

Athy55
17-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Another good idea for a Christmas Wreath is to get a styrofoam ring, cost 1.50euro. (or make a strong ring out of old material) then wrap old wool all round it until its completely covered, hairy wool is better. Add a loop for hanging it up and a small decoration at the bottom. I made loads of these for our Christmas Fair in work and they sold like hot cakes. If I could only get the knack of uploading photos!!!

A simple craft for small kiddies - you need pine cones,Glue, bottle tops and some spray paint. Just spray the cone, glue the cone into the bottle top and it makes a cute table decoration. Add some glitter when spray paint is wet.

I love the ideas everyone has posted. I'll be keeping info on them to use for next years Fair.
Athy55

Henriette
22-12-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't know if Paprika has told you the exact measurements for those two abbreviations yet. 1 Dekagram equals 10 grams, 1 Deciliter equals 100 milliliters. In Austria these measurements are still being used! :-)

Lovely ideas here, by the way!
At some stage I have to share my picture(s) of an Advent calendar which is shaped as a teapot...now it's too late for those things, anyway! :-D

Happy Christmas to all of you!