PDA

View Full Version : 34 different recycling bins!

Chris P
29-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Hi Everyone,

Here's a short video clip from the BBC about a town in Japan where residents are expected to divide their household waste into 34 different recycling bins!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7499954.stm

Regards
Chris P
Admin

The Mammy
30-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi chris,
I just watched the short video, and it's great to see a zero waste town, but I really think we in Ireland are a very long way away from zero waste..
Interesting though.
Thanks
The Mammy

Chris P
30-11-2008, 11:39 PM
...I really think we in Ireland are a very long way away from zero waste.
Hi The Mammy,

Too true! In March 2006, an OECD report stated that the Republic of Ireland produces more waste per capita than any other developed country in the world, i.e., 760kg (approx. 120 stone) of waste per year by every man, woman and child resident in the State. (Americans produce 740kg; the OECD average is 570kg per year [for more, please see the OECD factbook, 2006]).

Regards
Chris P
Admin

gillo
04-12-2008, 10:29 AM
I've just watched the video clip and while I do agree that we are a long way off zero waste, I feel we would be a hell of a lot closer to it if manufacturers were to cop themselves on as regards packaging. Half the packaging on foodstuffs and toiletries is totally unnecessary, for instance, where's the need for a cardboard box on a tube of toothpaste, and why all the need for so much plastic on packets of biscuits etc. It does seem to me to be a bit unfair on the ordinary consumer to have to take on the task of sorting out 34 seperate bins. If the government won' clamp down on zero waste at where it starts, then they should employ people to do it for a proper wage, instead of making the consumer pay through the nose for unnecessary packaging and do the work for nothing. That's just my opinion.