PDA

View Full Version : advice re cushions

cavalin
29-11-2008, 01:47 PM
does anyone know what to do with cushions left over from a couch?l think l have 10 sponge ones and the others are stuffing which l suppose could be used as filling (but l don,t need any more cushions either)

kiara
29-11-2008, 01:56 PM
post them on jt im sure someone will make cushions, unapam??? lol, kiara x

kiara
29-11-2008, 01:57 PM
or beanbags for the kids rooms?

cavalin
29-11-2008, 02:08 PM
l did think of that but l had the suite on with some interest but noone acually took it so l figured no one would want them, l think l,ll try anyway its worth a shot

kilk
29-11-2008, 04:01 PM
or use them as extra lagging on hot water cylinder, i use old pillows, cushions etc outside the lagging jacket, water stays hot for days!

Mbell
29-11-2008, 05:13 PM
hey, do you know any one working in a preschool or primary school- they might use them as seating in the library corner.

betsy10112000
29-11-2008, 05:17 PM
had a bit of an idea
i know you said you dont need anymore cushions BUT
maybe if yu are a dab hand on the sewing machine yo could make up a few cushions as christmas presents.even personalise them with names or something.they would be great for childrens bedrooms aswel and they would love it with their names on!

just an idea :)

betsy10112000
29-11-2008, 05:18 PM
had a bit of an idea
i know you said you dont need anymore cushions BUT
maybe if yu are a dab hand on the sewing machine yo could make up a few cushions as christmas presents.even personalise them with names or something.they would be great for childrens bedrooms aswel and they would love it with their names on!

just an idea :)

oh and these would be environmentally friendly,recycled and cut down on christmas pressie spending for yourself :)

cavalin
29-11-2008, 10:04 PM
l like your ideas l even have puffy paint my girls use to on their t.shirts,May even let them help me ,great ideas people

kila2008
30-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Foam??? I love using foam for stuff!!!

Its not exactly the same thing but I did use the foam out of an old foam chair-bed that my daughter had in her playroom (was used a lot and had a lot of stuff spilled on it when my daughter was little). I took off the old fabric that was beyond use (and not a nice pattern to start with) and I made a head mask from my daughter for halloween last year...she was a werewolf. I just took the part of the chair bed that folds out for the pillow area and carved out an animal head using a sharp scissors....contantly snipping to ensure that it was smooth. I shaped the ears and teeth from separate pieces of foam and stuck them out with glue and put a few stitches to ensure that they didn't fall off (foam doesn't sew well though, so only a few stitches). I painted the mask using my daughters paints and finished it off by attaching some scrap brown fake fur that I bought from an upholstery shop (also used this to make a little fur jump-suit for her)

I also used foam to make a mini top-hat for the races....again I just carved the foam into the shape that I wanted using a sharp scissors. I made the main part of the hat and the rim as two separate pieces and sewed/glued them together after I hat covered each piece in organza fabric. I tied some ribbon around the base of the mini hat and attached some feathers at the back and a cheap plastic comb to the underside of it.

I also use scrap foam for stencilling and face-painting. There are soooo many ways that you can use foam! I know that some of the guys I'm in college with made cheap foam-cutters as they sometimes use foam for making models and their homemade foam-cutters give a really clean cut/edge!!

cavalin
30-11-2008, 11:01 PM
my mission for this week is to make personalised cushions as suggested but l still don,t know what to do with the sponge ones if l manage to do these it will be a miracle alone.Any one want them?????

cavalin
30-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Foam??? I love using foam for stuff!!!

Its not exactly the same thing but I did use the foam out of an old foam chair-bed that my daughter had in her playroom (was used a lot and had a lot of stuff spilled on it when my daughter was little). I took off the old fabric that was beyond use (and not a nice pattern to start with) and I made a head mask from my daughter for halloween last year...she was a werewolf. I just took the part of the chair bed that folds out for the pillow area and carved out an animal head using a sharp scissors....contantly snipping to ensure that it was smooth. I shaped the ears and teeth from separate pieces of foam and stuck them out with glue and put a few stitches to ensure that they didn't fall off (foam doesn't sew well though, so only a few stitches). I painted the mask using my daughters paints and finished it off by attaching some scrap brown fake fur that I bought from an upholstery shop (also used this to make a little fur jump-suit for her)

I also used foam to make a mini top-hat for the races....again I just carved the foam into the shape that I wanted using a sharp scissors. I made the main part of the hat and the rim as two separate pieces and sewed/glued them together after I hat covered each piece in organza fabric. I tied some ribbon around the base of the mini hat and attached some feathers at the back and a cheap plastic comb to the underside of it.

I also use scrap foam for stencilling and face-painting. There are soooo many ways that you can use foam! I know that some of the guys I'm in college with made cheap foam-cutters as they sometimes use foam for making models and their homemade foam-cutters give a really clean cut/edge!!
fair play to you but thats WAY over my head, l,ll be lucky to sew a square never mind doing all you can do

Griffen
30-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Why not ask your local animal rescue if they want them as comfy cushions for injured cats or dogs with broken legs etc?

cavalin
01-12-2008, 01:04 AM
l never thought of that will do that later today and see what happens.