PDA

View Full Version : Being Green - Are you having a laugh?

greenone
09-12-2008, 05:27 PM
My other half is self employed, and like me, he tries to be ‘green’ by recycling. All of his product arrives double and triple wrapped and he stores it all to one side until he can fill his van (a ford transit – so quite a load) and then he heads off to Dundalk. It takes some time to load, go to Dundalk, unload and come back. But he does it anyway. His biggest problem is polystyrene foam and until this year, it went into land fill. However, they have now set up a section to recycle polystyrene.
Some months back, when he arrived there was an event taking place and a tent with tea and sandwiches was erected in front of the polystyrene section. To his horror, DH was told to throw his polystyrene into the landfill area and told to get his van out of the way. As he was leaving, he was amused to note that the reason for his hasty ejection was none other than the Minister for the Environment and leader of the Green Party, Mr. John Gormley. What would the minister think of recyclable waste being dumped in his honour??! Sorry for the long post, but I’m curious to know what you think.

Chris P
09-12-2008, 05:44 PM
...What would the minister think of recyclable waste being dumped in his honour?
Hi greenone,

No doubt Minister Gormley would find this a dubious honour. The guys responsible for his "reception" may need to be watched. What next from their little book of protocol? Chop down a tree or tarmacadam a meadow next time a dignitary visits? Who knows?

Regards
Chris P
Admin

magiceight
09-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Forgive me for going off on a slight tangent here, but with regards to styrofoam packaging - does anyone know a good way to grind it down into tiny pieces to use for bean bag filler, without having to use a machine that would potentially melt it?? I hate to throw it away when I could be using it for something....

Elnr83
10-12-2008, 09:30 AM
That's rediculous!

Your OH should be the one commended for doing his bit and going out of his way to recycle!! Not those stuffy ministers!!! They should have welcomed him in with a cup of tea!

Has anyone ever given blood? They are soooo lovely in there and they really make you feel good for giving blood!! Can you imagine how many more people would recycle if they got the same welcome and a pat on the back??

Glenurla
10-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Sorry, don't know how to grind it down for bean bags but one way of reusing styrefoam is to break it down into pieces and use it to fill the bottom of plant pots (instead of crocks). It's light and aids drainage.

HappyHunter
10-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Some months back, when he arrived there was an event taking place and a tent with tea and sandwiches was erected in front of the polystyrene section. To his horror, DH was told to throw his polystyrene into the landfill area and told to get his van out of the way. As he was leaving, he was amused to note that the reason for his hasty ejection was none other than the Minister for the Environment and leader of the Green Party, Mr. John Gormley. What would the minister think of recyclable waste being dumped in his honour??! Sorry for the long post, but I’m curious to know what you think.

Interested to know if the tea was served in polystyrene cups? :)