PDA

View Full Version : Residential Wind Turbines

John Kieran
10-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Hi one and all, anyone with any information about setting up a small wind turbine system for the home, thinking of setting up a system for new year, but would like some advice

Merry Christmas

J.K.

Fries-With-That
11-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi John,

This is an area I am very interested in as I need power in a remote off grid location.
I am experimenting with a small home made turbine at present and getting ok results, Its charging small 12v batteries.

I have links to a few websites that you can browse if you're interested.

Pm me if you want me to send you the links.

See attached picture for my first turbine. produces 13v to 19v approx depending on wind.

This is made from all recycled materials the only thing I bought for this was a small bridge rectifier from maplins for under €3.00.

The frame for this is from a bike ( from Jt member in portlaoise)
The blades are made from 4inch sewer pipe saved from a skip ( my own design cut with a jigsaw).
The Hub is a scrap bit of marine plyboard.
The tail is from a broken childs bike (the numberplate)
The wire is the flex from an old nilflisk hoover ( I used this because it doesn't kink as easily as normal cable).
The tower is a weights Bar that daughters boyfriend contributed to the project.
Total cost for this in terms of materials is about 5euro.

Ruthy
11-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Built that yourself!! Very impressive. Could you send me the links to websites you mentioned?

Ruth

tomson
11-12-2008, 01:03 PM
hi jhon, very interested turbine please send me links.tks drumlark.

bluecurlygirl
11-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Any chance of just posting the links up here by any chance? That's very impressive.

John Kieran
11-12-2008, 03:39 PM
If you could post links on site for everyone that is interested that would be great...
John Kieran

unapam
11-12-2008, 08:23 PM
I'd also be very interested in knowing more about these. Great job Fries, if you can get 17 to 19 from it - what does it translate into in use?

Fries-With-That
11-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Nice to see That I'm not the only one interested in the weird and wonderful world of wind turbines.

Links to websites,

http://gotwind.forumco.com/forum~FORUM_ID~2.asp

http://www.otherpower.com/turbineplans.html

http://www.fieldlines.com/section/wind

These sites have some great information, but a little word of caution, before you sign up and start asking question after question I suggest you do some research on the sites themselves. Any question you come up with has been answered and some of the people on these websites hate answering questions that they have already answered.

My own Turbine is small compared with what some of these people are building ( scale it to suit yourself).

For more info on my turbine I have edited the post to say what each part is made from.

Regards,

Fries.

Bawnie
11-12-2008, 09:46 PM
That's a very impressive turbine you have, I'd also be interested in the information. Thank you.

Bibi
12-12-2008, 01:08 AM
WOW...Amazing.

Well done Fries & thanks for posting such interesting ( & I have no doubt, useful ) links/information.

Regards
Bibi

John Kieran
15-12-2008, 01:12 PM
I dont have much expereince in these wonderful things, but I'm thinking of giving myself a little project for next year...to start with I would like to hear from more experienced people then me, in that I would like to install lighting in my shed, but would like it to be able to power itself ie wind....I need some clue about what to do so anyone out there willing to give me some clues, bring them on...

J.K

summersun
15-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi Fries..... What an amazing brain you have there is an opening of a business there opportunity for you..... You really could do something with this
Well done
Summersun,

Fries-With-That
15-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the compliments , I'm beaming.

John if you want some help on where to start PM me and I'll give you a few basic pointers. Its easier to start with a small scale turbine ( you can get a readily usuable motor from something as small as a photocopier) these tiny motors are capable of powering small led lights like you can buy in the € store.

The best thing about these small home made turbines is that many of the parts are freely available if you know what you're looking for.

I had this one connected to 5 12v christmas lights and it gave enough light outside the back door as to be a deterrant to cats. Because they were connected directly the lights went on and off as the wind rose and fell.

Regards,

Fries.

Costellon
16-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Hello all, just thought that i'd contribute a few words as I used to live on my own boat for a few years and tried to generate my own power from the sun and wind and found it very frustrating (specially when running a 5 kw central heating system, lights etc...all off a 12v system) A good source of information about wind turbines are to be found in marine websites, e.g. look up: Rutland, AirX etc..and pay particular interest to wattage, ampage, battery management systems and the batteries themselves. There is a lot to learn before comitting to installing a system and spending money. As an alternative, check this out, it's the ultimate !

http://www.whispergen.com/ (If I had the money i'd go for one of these systems as experience has taught me that wind and solar don't work very well, not as a primary power supply at any rate).

Now- hydro electricity ! That's a different matter, live on the banks of a river or stream ? If so, lucky you !

Fries-With-That
16-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi Costellon,

Nice unit the whispergen.

I think you're right about the difficulties about running a home from combined wind and solar.
I think most people are only interested in running a few small lights in a shed etc.

If the turbines to do this simple task can be made from scrap all the better.

I've also considered the beauty of a minature hydro installation I've procured a mini pelton turbine head and intend trying it out connected to a small PM motor during the summer.

If the motor I'm using is capable of generating enough power I'm considering feeding the pelton from water elevated to a height via a ram pump, no electricity required and electricity generated.

Great to see this topic is provoking interest.

Fries.

Ocker
16-12-2008, 10:12 PM
I can't for the life of me find the website, but I recall seeing a turbine in New Mexico that was supposed to be very efficient. It was a pole with just two yokes which caught the wind. If you looked down at it from above it was like the ying yang drawing The windcatcher came down about ten feet along the pole. Apparently it lost very little in the generating process as against a loss of about 60% in the conventional ones. Just had a thought. If anyone remembers the old air extractors on factory buildings. They were like that but very slim. (Yoke=highly technical term) !!!

Fries-With-That
17-12-2008, 10:59 AM
I think you may he refering to a V.A.W.T.

Vertical Axis Wind Turbine see picture.

My turbine is a H.A.W.T.

Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine. See picture on my first post on this thread.

Kernow
17-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi Fries, When I bought my derilict house about 6 months ago, I investigated the commercially sold wind turbines as a source of energy for it. I decided not to go with one, as to get one that would produce enough energy for a 3 bed house would create a little bit of noise, not alot, but enough to spoil the absolute silence that the house enjoys (The main reason for buying the house). Does your home made one create any noise?

summersun
17-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Fries,

Listen to old summersun GET that business started,,,, Make it your New Year Resolution, there is an opening there for you!!!
You will be laughing all the way to the bank in a years time and when you are lying on a beach in the Maldives... you can send me a shoebox of sand and a postcard.

Summersun

Ocker
17-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Fries, don't listen to old summersun, he's talking rubbish. Bondi Beach or Cottesloe Beach is 100 times better than thr Maldives !

Fries-With-That
17-12-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm laughing ruefully at both your suggestions, would it surprise you to know I took a similar idea to the local enterprise board.

I designed a self powered illuminated exterior sign that had applications in road safety and business usage, whilst they were stunned and impressed at its simplicity the only advice I could get ( apart from the lack of funding) was to consider protecting my intelluctual property rights whilst at the same time asking me to take the idea to a third level engineering/design class to get them to develop the idea further( why should i give the idea to a class of gung ho students to rip off and leave me with nothing).

Their best statement was ...fantastic idea we could see that selling world wide, but...... we're not an ideas bank we only support existing business.

Anyway I haven't shelved the idea just yet ...i'm looking at ways of making it "bomb proof" before I take it further.

Fries.

shonastar
17-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Wow Fries with that, just discovered this thread, very interesting, would you think of appearing on Dragon's Den?! I'm sorry but not surprised about the enterprise board, but don't give up, it really sounds like you have a brilliant idea and everyone has to start somewhere! Best of luck x

Ocker
18-12-2008, 01:20 AM
I second shonaster's comments. Stick with it and protect it. It shouldn't cost much to do that. The dragons seem to want people to have proven the product already and then take their slice. Perhaps an engineer you can trust to keep an eye on you and test your theories as you go, might be a suggestion.
The two designs you put up are not like the one I saw in NM. I wish I could draw it but I was sick they day they taught design and engineering !
I'll try to draw it and post it if i can.

John Kieran
18-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Do ye think Santa does Solar or wind at home?

summersun
18-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Fries,

I agree with shonastar, go for Dragons den...... , As for Ocker... little ole summersun just happens to be a little ole whinging woman, or so my husband would say and nowhere beats the Maldives except maybe Barbados.. Sorry Fries for taking away from your excellent inventions.

I am going to investigate where you can go from here and make your name

Summersun

Ocker
18-12-2008, 05:03 PM
My sincerest apologies Summersun.

IRISH_iiiis
07-02-2009, 08:02 PM
I have access to materials suitable for building turbines... also have extensive knowledge as my father owns an electric motor rewinding company...

i myself am looking to build one to run a house and possibly a kids club house, just wondering what experiences others have good and bad....

chakes
09-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Hi All

This is great.

I wouldn't be in a position to build one myself but if any of ye start it up as a business I would be more than willing to pay you to install a wind turbine for me.

I live on a very exposed and windy site...wouldn't it be great to be able to generate some electricity...especially since receiving my last esb bill. I conserve energy as best I can but cant control the increase in my bill...

Keep me in mind as a customer...PLEASE

Have any of ye seen the wind turbine at the house on way into Oranmore, Galway?

Chris P
09-02-2009, 07:58 PM
A sample of Wind Turbine Suppliers in Ireland:

Co. Cork:
http://www.windturbines.ie/domestic/welcome.asp?country=ireland

Co. Laois
http://needs.ie/?page_id=3

Co. Wexford:
http://www.ecoevolution.ie/

Co. Westmeath:
http://www.windturbinesireland.com/

Northern Ireland
http://www.innovativeenergysolutions.co.uk/companyproducts.php

Chris P
09-02-2009, 08:02 PM
The Irish Wind Energy Association:

http://www.iwea.com/index.cfm?page=home

summersun
09-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi All

This is great.

I wouldn't be in a position to build one myself but if any of ye start it up as a business I would be more than willing to pay you to install a wind turbine for me.

I live on a very exposed and windy site...wouldn't it be great to be able to generate some electricity...especially since receiving my last esb bill. I conserve energy as best I can but cant control the increase in my bill...

Keep me in mind as a customer...PLEASE

Have any of ye seen the wind turbine at the house on way into Oranmore, Galway?
See that "Fries"... your 1st customer.... ready and waiting.... so start that company. We are still waiting to see you on "Dragons Den."
Get your arse in gear ... you CAN do it... get to it before someone else does.

Summersun

Fries-With-That
10-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Are you kidding me, summersun, I'm still working on a basic plan for some of the guys that pmmed me before christmas.( alas its not cost effective to set up a manafacturing plant in Ireland when they can be sourced so cheap overseas)

I have however noticed that there are several companies now selling wind turbines in Ireland and to be honest some of the prices they are charging are shocking.( in a non electric way)

I had a meeting with 2 members of one of these companies last week and they quoted me €4500 for a wind turbine fully installed depending on location.

I'm sure if you do a little internet searching you'll find that they are available far cheaper than that leaving you a couple of grand over to arrange installation yourself.

I have made contact with a company overseas that is prepared to supply me with a complete set up ( Turbine, Tower, Guy wires, Sine wave inverter This set up would cost approx €6500 here in Ireland),however I would need to order several to avail of a trade discount.

Chris or Dave feel free to delete this paragraph if its not appropiate.

If there are enough people interested in buying turbines I would be prepared to order them on a co operative basis ( everyone gets to see exactly how much they cost and no one makes profit).
From the figures I have recieved the savings would be massive ( several thousand) over the cheapest prices being quoted in Ireland/UK at the moment.

Regards,

Fries.

jenniferalan
10-02-2009, 10:44 AM
hi chakes, I've seen that house in oranmore. turbine is big, I'd say it provides the majority of their electricity... Seems very close to the house ( in back garden) considering all the land behind.

LadyA
10-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Are you kidding me, summersun, I'm still working on a basic plan for some of the guys that pmmed me before christmas.( alas its not cost effective to set up a manafacturing plant in Ireland when they can be sourced so cheap overseas)

I have however noticed that there are several companies now selling wind turbines in Ireland and to be honest some of the prices they are charging are shocking.( in a non electric way)

I had a meeting with 2 members of one of these companies last week and they quoted me €4500 for a wind turbine fully installed depending on location.

I'm sure if you do a little internet searching you'll find that they are available far cheaper than that leaving you a couple of grand over to arrange installation yourself.

I have made contact with a company overseas that is prepared to supply me with a complete set up ( Turbine, Tower, Guy wires, Sine wave inverter This set up would cost approx €6500 here in Ireland),however I would need to order several to avail of a trade discount.

Chris or Dave feel free to delete this paragraph if its not appropiate.

If there are enough people interested in buying turbines I would be prepared to order them on a co operative basis ( everyone gets to see exactly how much they cost and no one makes profit).
From the figures I have recieved the savings would be massive ( several thousand) over the cheapest prices being quoted in Ireland/UK at the moment.

Regards,

Fries.
Sine wave inverters? Beam me up Scotty! I honestly haven't a clue what you are talking about - but we have been wanting to put up a wind turbine for a while now! But can't afford it. Basically we are on my husband's non-contrib. pension. Not a technical brain cell between us, although I am slightly better than he is (I at least know how to set a time switch!). At one of those Sustainable Living fairs, we talked to a guy about turbines, and he said it would cost about 7,000 euro (sorry, don't know how to do euro sign!) to buy and install. We do live on a pretty windy spot, with the land sloping away behind us with a fall of about 100 feet. (wonderful view, but we pay for it with the wind!) But all this thread sounds very very interesting!!! Very interesting indeed! :-) We would certainly be interested in getting a turbine with your co-op idea if we could get someone who knew what they were doing to put it up and install it!

John Kieran
12-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi everyone, I never thought it would come to this when I asked about turbines, but it seems that there is a lot of interest, as well as alot of windy places macross this land. With everything going down the tubes [are you listening politicians and bankers???] it seems now more than ever alternative models need to be looked into, just basically to survive......

My plan is to get the info on how to construct a wind turbine [still waiting?] and then try to build it myself, once done never forgotten....Keep up the thread!"!

summersun
12-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi All,

Whilst shopping in Enniskillen yesterday i noticed a flyer up in Hannah's Electrical advertising a residential wind turbine course on how to build your own.... i briefly scanned over it expecting to see fries name ... but unfortunately didnt.

If anybody is interested i will be back there on Monday and i can get the info for anyone if you either pm me or reply to this thread

Summersun

LadyA
12-02-2009, 06:58 PM
I bet CAT or Walnut Books would have some sort of instructions or book on constructing wind turbines! Have you looked in John Seymours classic Complete Book of Self Sufficiency?;-)

Fries-With-That
12-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi everyone thats interested,

First thing you should look at is this.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/?Loc=GB

Still interested, read this.

http://windstuffnow.com/main/microwave_wind_generator

This gives a break down of what it can cost.

http://www.richardcollins.net/winsol_epilogue.html

More interesting information.

http://www.allsmallwindturbines.com/

So now you're ready to build after doing all that reading.
Here's a book to tell you exactly what to do.

http://otherpower.com/users_manual.shtml

I had to include this website because this guy has made some beautiful turbines.( not as beautiful as mine LOL )

http://ivan.benkovic.szm.sk/

And if after all this study you're still interested read up some more here, this is the guy that started the craze for DIY wind turbines.

http://www.scoraigwind.com/

I've spent many hours researching wind turbines, how to build them, cost effectiveness etc etc there are hours of research gone into the idea, and I've come to the conclusion that its certainly possible to build one for yourself and save yourself thousands of euro.
If on the other hand you're mainly interested in building as a hobby I'd suggest you start by building a very small turbine ( the picture I have on this thread is a small turbine and it has a wingspan of about 4 feet). Make your mistakes on a hobby first without spending lots of cash.

Happy building and many hours of happy reading on the links above.

Regards,

Fries-with-that-searching-for-the-answer-blowing-in-the-wind

PS don't forget you can spend thousands on a turbine that is still only as powerful as one you'd knock up in your garden shed for a few hundred euro and a little bit of your time.

Fries-With-That
12-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I bet CAT or Walnut Books would have some sort of instructions or book on constructing wind turbines! Have you looked in John Seymours classic Complete Book of Self Sufficiency?;-)

John Seymours book is an excellent read, it covers hundreds of topics I'd advise anyone thats interested in sustainable living to have a copy on their bookshelf.

summersun
16-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi John and Fries.... here is the info on the course... unfortunately i failed to notice that the course is now over but others will be run .... this is word for word...

BUILD YOUR OWN WIND TURBINE

A workshop on the famous Hugh Piggott design ... see Hugh's web site
www.scoraigwind.com

Ballinamore Co Leitrim

Starting Thursday 22 jan to Sat 7th feb running on thurs - fri - sat over three weekends
Full course fee €350 or € 50 per day (see fries money to be made)

spaces are limited to 10 people

Courses will be repeated regularly check our website

www.BuildYourOwnWindTurbine.com ( the flyer shows uppercase letters in this website????)

The course is based on the teachings of Hugh Piggott and taught by Eirbyte Renewable Energy, a Leitrim based company with many years experience.

Each day a modest amount of theoretical introduction will lead to workshop sessions with opportunities to gain hands on experienceof carving wooden blades, winding coils and fitting magnets into all purpose built alternators for wind powe, wiring, fabrication and all aspects which can be covered as time allows.

Participants who bring their own ideas and materials to the course will be welcomed and given assistance where possible.

We would hope to complete one 2.4 metre diametre wind turbine with wooden blades and a permanent magnet alternator

Contact us at 091 442021 or our web site. www.BuildYourOwnWindTurbine.com

That is the end of the info on the flyer.... i hope it helps and gives someone the needed kick up the rear to start his own company or course....

Good Luck all
Summersun

Fries-With-That
16-02-2009, 09:19 PM
R.O.T.F.L.M.A.O @ Summersun.

Summersun, I saw this course advertised somewhere before, it very much a hands on course and I would hope for €350 you'd at least get to take home a small turbine.

Some of the links I posted including the one to a complete book will show people exactly what they need to do without having to spend €350.

I would say that if you were to get the money and invest it in materials you'd build a turbine that would equal many of the ones being sold in Ireland today for thousands of euro.

Still laughing,

Fries.

summersun
16-02-2009, 09:26 PM
R O T F L M A O ???? what translate for poor ole summersun please... its to late at night for quizzes..

still laughing??? ... you mean still putting off that "starting a new business enterprise"....

still trying to encourage....

summersun :-)

Summersun, I saw this course advertised somewhere before, it very much a hands on course and I would hope for €350 you'd at least get to take home a small turbine.

Some of the links I posted including the one to a complete book will show people exactly what they need to do without having to spend €350.

I would say that if you were to get the money and invest it in materials you'd build a turbine that would equal many of the ones being sold in Ireland today for thousands of euro.

Still laughing,

Fries.

iliy
18-04-2009, 02:44 PM
could you send me them linkd you have for building that wind turbine.thanks........

Fries-With-That
19-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi Iliy,

Please read farther down the thread I have posted all the links you'll ever need to learn about building wind turbines.

Regards,

Fries.

gmurray
12-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Hi Fries-With-That,
Although you have been rejected there are other avenues: check out www.iqprize.ie
Also if your idea is exportable check out revenues BES Information Leaflet IT 55.
They might be useful.
good luck

Fries-With-That
13-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi Fries-With-That,
Although you have been rejected there are other avenues: check out www.iqprize.ie
Also if your idea is exportable check out revenues BES Information Leaflet IT 55.
They might be useful.
good luck

Hi GMurray,

I hadn't heard of this untill I read your post.
I appreciate this information, I thin k its time for me to burn some more midnight oil on one of my many ideas.
I particularly like the idea that its a no strings attached offer.

Thanks again,

Fries.

gmurray
13-05-2009, 04:50 PM
the IQprize thing actually closed yesterday :(

gmurray
19-05-2009, 02:21 PM
always make informed choices :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_turbine

Mickey
19-09-2009, 03:14 PM
We want to make a windmill and mount it onto the wall of our stone shed/old stable. There are existing holes in the side wall and we want to use these to mount the windmill (as we don't want to make any physical/permanent alteration to the shed).

What sort of fins would be better? Wide like the ones we see on farms or thinner blades like they have on more modern versions? What's the difference?

We want to put some sort of energy storage system/battery in the shed to store any wind generated energy and then feed this to the house to use for things like electric heaters and things that are non-essential but energy guzzling.

Somewhere once upon a time we read that a submarine battery is ideal for this sort of thing. (Anyone have a clue how I'd go about sourcing one of those :o)?

I would love to hear any suggestions anyone has and especially success stories you may have. We want to be more energy efficient and would like also to have some sort of backup if, God forbid, anything cataclysmic were to happen. We can't afford solar energy and don't think that is the route for us anyway so here's hoping someone has advice or help to offer us.

Olivier
13-04-2010, 10:02 AM
here's 3 good resources for making a simple wind turbine for those who don't feel like building the whole generator from scratch.
I used them to make my own turbine from a small re used treadmill motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mwW1phX_7M

http://greenterrafirma.com/DIY_Wind_Turbine.html#variations
http://www.mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/index.html

garrazzaband
15-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi all, I am mad for trying to generate my own power for garden.
However can anyone comment on the rumour or otherwise that 'you need a licence to generate electricity' ?

Fries-With-That
16-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi all, I am mad for trying to generate my own power for garden.
However can anyone comment on the rumour or otherwise that 'you need a licence to generate electricity' ?

Simple answer is no, you don't need a licence to generate your own power.

There are rules and regulations you have to follow if you intend to feed that power into the mains, there is also some expensive equipment you'd need to buy.

If you're interested in wind power, scroll down through this thread, I have posted some links that will give you some practical information in relation to building a diy wind turbine.

byowt
09-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Hi, Jimmy and Miriam here, we are the people that run the workshops on building wind turbines as posted by summersun.
Hi John and Fries.... here is the info on the course... unfortunately i failed to notice that the course is now over but others will be run .... this is word for word...

BUILD YOUR OWN WIND TURBINE

A workshop on the famous Hugh Piggott design ...
Summersun

And just to reply to Fries
I would hope for €350 you'd at least get to take home a small turbine.

Fries.

Yes, we would love it if we could have ten people come to do a course and each one go away with a finished turbine at the end however it is just not feasible.

Not everyone who comes on the course has workshop skills, some may never have had the chance to work with hand tools before and for many people this is part of the fun - learning how to use the tools, learning how to read the instructions and apply them to the materials. Some people may have worked with metal before, or worked with wood, however we tend to find that most people have not done both to any great degree.

The cost of materials to build a 3m turbine is around €500 and it can take 4 or five people the full week to build just one turbine on a week long workshop. Sometimes the turbine does go home with one of the participants.

People learn more than just how to build the turbine, questions are being asked (and answered) everyday about how much energy you get from the wind and small turbine, best way to site a turbine, how to safely erect a mast, what sort of guy and anchor system to use, how to connect your system up, how battery banks work, system size, grid connecting etc.

People who have done a course with us sometimes come back when another course is on or by arrangement, to have us check out their blades, to do some welding or to wind coils using the workshop wire instead of having a full roll delivered to their house and having to sell on the remainder.
We always welcome back anyone who wants to do a repeat visit and don't charge for this, we believe in creating a community feeling and supporting people who are keen to do things for themselves.

Location Location, not everyone has a suitable turbine site and we have seen turbines installed by so called experts surrounded by trees or buildings so please research well before you buy or build.

Two of the most respected wind turbine gurus are
Hugh Piggott http://www.scoraigwind.com/
and Paul Gipe http://www.wind-works.org/

Chris P
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
View a video of a Scoraig wind-turbine workshop...here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/scoraigwind#p/u/2/gsJ7WIpoWks

About Scoraig, Scotland:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoraig

eddieconnors
23-12-2010, 09:43 PM
imecofarm has a course only 3 days long showing how turbines are built and installed, and also actual hands on building a turbine over 3 days. This turbine only costs a few hundred euro to build and can be easily wired to the immersion for free hot water . The design is so robust it is being built and used in most countries around the world. The head of LIT and lecturers there in Renewable energy have atended the course to see this excellent alternative option, and have student projects linking in with the centre. People are attending courses here to learn in a practical hands on fashion, and giving options for future work for themselves. Any queries on renewables, just email me through the website www.imecofarm.com

quentingargan
17-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Hi one and all, anyone with any information about setting up a small wind turbine system for the home, thinking of setting up a system for new year, but would like some advice

Merry Christmas

J.K.
Hi John,

I've been working on developing a small turbine for the Irish market. There are a lot of products on offer there, but they are either dreadfully expensive, or downright dangerous.

If you're interested in looking into this, you can check our work at www.turbotricity.com - we also have a training page on that site with an eight part course which gives good background on what you need to look for. (eh, the training bit was a course I was running long before I decided to make turbines, so it isn't quite a sales pitch!)

Good luck with the project. First thing though is to check your sites mean wind speed. If you contact me, I can give you details on how to do this yourself.. Q

sbkenn
02-02-2011, 10:48 PM
I have just bought a 1.8m, 3 blade rotor off eBay for use on my (large)houseboat.
Initially, I anticipate using a 2kW Landrover alternator, but want to progress to a homebuilt PMA. Right now, an hour/day of battery charging @20A from a diesel generator is sufficient, but I'm not yet running my fridge-freezer which will run off an inverter.
Comments please.

quentingargan
03-02-2011, 12:24 AM
I have just bought a 1.8m, 3 blade rotor off eBay for use on my (large)houseboat.
Initially, I anticipate using a 2kW Landrover alternator, but want to progress to a homebuilt PMA. Right now, an hour/day of battery charging @20A from a diesel generator is sufficient, but I'm not yet running my fridge-freezer which will run off an inverter.
Comments please.
Good idea to get the rotor. Have you looked at Hugh Piggotts book on how to build your own generator? If you google Scoraig, you'll find him. He has a system for making generators based on various bits - I think one was from the hub of an Opel Corsa. Car alternators usually have to be doing a hell of a lick to produce anything.

Fries-With-That
03-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Comments please.

Forget about using an alternator as it would have to spin to fast (for a wind turbine) to generate power to charge batteries.

What you need is a permanent magnet motor, it operates differently to an alternator (which needs an external power source to start up), The PMA will start generating power as soon as it starts turning, much of this power will not be at a sufficient voltage to charge your batteries.

You need to have a turbine that generates 13-14 v an a reasonable blade speed otherwise it could shake itself to bits and the vibration and noise they produce would be a serious nuisance.

If you scroll down on this thread you will find several links on a previous post to several sites that offer you the information you need.

I suggest you get your hands on an electric motor from a treadmill and start from there.

Best of luck with this project.

kieran360
07-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi People,
Very interesting thread here. Its great to see such an interest in Wind power and renewable resources. Its the way forward, depending on ever price increasing fossil fuels should be a thing of the past by now. once oil runs out it can never be made again. it really is black gold and it will increase in price to an absolute crazy price not too far from now.

Any way, I came across this thread while googling wind turbines. I am researching for a thesis in college here in Waterford Institute of Technology for Architecture Technology. Im proposing for the thesis that it is would be worth while installing a medium to large wind turbine in a ghost estate in the west of Ireland. All the houses in the estate would get Electricity off the wind turbine. As ESB dont allow more than one meter per wind turbine, i propose that the wind turbine is owned by a private small size co-op and meters are provided by this co-op. House owners pay this co -op. If the savings in Electricity was high then i think this would add both value to the house and make them more salable in this economic downturn.

I'd really appreciate if any one could help me with this research if they knew anything about this topic, Any useful website or other information.

Regards,

Kieran

sbkenn
04-05-2011, 03:02 PM
I intend to run the alternator through a 1:3 poly-Vee belt drive. Also, fit permanent magnets between the poles of the rotor for self-starting.
I have also acquired 2, 36V pancake motors to experiment with. They may just provide a chassis to build a PMA into.

Proteavalley
04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
wow this is incrediable well done

Voltsys
14-04-2013, 03:02 PM
I know this is an old thread. I wonder what became of these projects... I mentioned earlier in this thread that we were designing a turbine for the Irish market. At the time there was a derisory feed in tariff of 19c. That became utterly hopeless at just 9c a year or two later. So that scuppered our plans to build turbines - nobody was going to buy them for that sort of feed in tariff.

We now focus on just selling wind inverters and controllers as www.voltsys.com and 98% of our business is overseas. Almost NOTHING happening in Ireland. We still have a stock of generators, blades, rotors etc., if anyone is still interested in making their own. You can have 'em at cost (or less). There is a company in Italy working on our design and producing for the Italian market, so I live in hope. But things very quiet around here...