PDA

View Full Version : Bin-bound recyclables made into handbound notebook :D

magiceight
24-12-2008, 07:13 PM
I've just finished making this notebook as a Christmas pressie for my mum - it's my first attempt at making one and I'm really happy with how it's turned out.

It's made from cereal boxes & cardboard, old magazines, school copy books my son never used, and some scraps of paper and card I had left over from other projects. Cost me nothing but the price of the thread!

I'll post a detailed tutorial soon, in the meantime here's a video with instructions for the coptic stitch used for binding. It looks daunting but it's actually nice and easy once you get going :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHAJyzzb4EE&feature=channel_page

Chris P
24-12-2008, 07:16 PM
A fabulous and unique piece of work, magiceight. Well done!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

jeana
24-12-2008, 07:31 PM
I remember when I was a child, I took some A4 pages and folded them over and made a cover out of cardboard and then I stitched it together with a needle and thread- wow I was so proud of myself, I still remember the feel of the book- nice memories only topped by the time I got a jewellery making set that had resin and some other liquid and you had to mix the two liquids and it hardened clear so I placed stones in them- that was the business- does anyone know where I could get a similar kit- I'd say the fumes are a bit dangerous for little kids, but I'd love to help my daughters to make some similar items.
Well done on your notebook- it's fab

Jeana

magiceight
24-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh - just yesterday I saw a resin kit in the Art & Hobby shop in Dun Laoghaire. I'd been wondering where to get my hands on some. I didn't buy it but am going to next time I'm there, never worked with resin before so not sure how safe it'd be for children...

kiara
24-12-2008, 07:42 PM
This is really lovely, I've been keeping a pregnancy diary for baby to read when he/she is older and after seeing this I'm going to have make one and transfer it all from my shop bought notebook! Although I did the same for my daughter and afterwards transfered all the pages to a scrapbook, it'll make a lovely present on her 16th birthday (13 years to go lol!)

magiceight
24-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys :)

LOL Kiara, now that's what I call forward planning... wish I was that organised :P

Linn
24-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Beautiful piece of work Magiceight. well done and i bet your Mum will love it.

shonastar
24-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Absolutely divine, will wait for the tutorial to try my hand, but this is inspirational, well done, it will make a fabulous xmas present x

jeana
24-12-2008, 11:01 PM
The smell when you mix the two liquids for resin is very strong for children so adult help is essential- but it's just wonderful for kids- It's like magic for them- I remember I put tiny shells in the resin and attached different things like a pin for a broach or earings or a pendant.
How do they make the grain of rice with your name on it or the sand art in a bottle--oohh I love that kinda stuff lol

unapam
07-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Quite beautiful! Well done.

Mickey
07-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Just brilliant magiceight :o) Can't wait to do the tutorial - We go through copious amounts of cereal here so there's no shortage of cardboard :D. Looking forward to making cushions with you soon :o).

magiceight
07-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Tutorial coming soon! Sorry about the delay, I just started a new job (woohoo!) and I have lots of info to take in so the rest of my life is on pause while I'm training in!!

Mickey - yes we'll make that cushion appointment soon lol... things should be calmer around here in the next week or two :)

krismcd03
08-01-2009, 03:45 PM
That really is gorgeous. it looks like it took a lot of work. well done

Sinamo
09-01-2009, 07:36 AM
that looks really cool...fair play to ya :)

Linn
09-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I've just finished making this notebook as a Christmas pressie for my mum - it's my first attempt at making one and I'm really happy with how it's turned out.

WELL MAGICEIGHT WHAT DID YOUR MUM THINK OF HER BEAUTIFUL CHRISTMAS PRESENT.
REGARDS LINN

magiceight
09-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Aw, she loved it, she was really pleased :)

orca
25-02-2009, 12:30 AM
lovely work I am sure she was just delighted I know I would be

colmsmum
25-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Wow! Fabulous work, well done. I'd love to try this some time.

Chris P
01-05-2009, 03:43 PM
...and even more great ideas for repurposing and crafting can be found on magiceight's groovy blog...here:

http://notbeige.wordpress.com/

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Photo below: Table-leg salt & pepper shakers (of course!)

magiceight
13-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Cinderella and Eily very kindly let me feature their furniture revamps on my blog: -
http://notbeige.wordpress.com/2009/05/05/before-after-two-great-furniture-recons/

If anyone else with a nice before and after would like me to include them, give me a shout, I'd love to hear from you!