PDA

View Full Version : Restoring silver jewellery?

marie065
25-12-2008, 01:57 AM
hi all
i was just wondering if someone could help me. my boyfriend decided to clean his sterling silver jewelery so he put them in milton!!!
now there gone black:( i was just wondering if anyone had any idea how to restore these)

any sugestions would be grateful
thanks marie

magiceight
25-12-2008, 02:48 AM
Maybe this would work?

http://www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/clean-tarnished-silver-jewelry.html

ireneo
25-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi
I have the same problem with my white gold wedding ring when I use bleach. The first time it happened, I got into a panic and then scrubbed it with washing up liquid and it came right again. Just leave them in a cup of warm water and washing up liquid and give them a scrub now and again. Hope this helps
Happy Christmas

Bettybooboopbedoop
25-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Maybe this would work?

http://www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/clean-tarnished-silver-jewelry.html
I must try this one. Never heard of it before, Thanks.
I have tried the washing up liquid and yes it works brilliantly. Gives the jewellery a great shine. All precious stones, golds etc. can go into it and come out looking good as new.

jeana
25-12-2008, 03:54 PM
sounds like some sort of chemical reaction took place- hmmm- I dunno -- google the problem and someone will know what to do- I'm thinking lemon juice but I'm just guessing-

Bettybooboopbedoop
25-12-2008, 04:56 PM
my silver ring went black from swimming in the sea.

spfeno
25-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Stick it in a glass of coke - or a friend of mines mother used to use tomato ketchup to clean copper pipes behind a solid fuel range - may be worthy a shot

franib
25-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi saw your query if you rub tooth paste in it will come up like new have tgried this myself when all else failed.
Hope it works for you

happy christmas

Fran

marie065
26-12-2008, 04:07 PM
great thank ye all for the replys i'm ging to try them all and see which helps

fingers crossed
thanks again
marie

Linn
26-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Maybe this would work?

Thats very good information Magiceight. Thanks for that as its useful information.

wildepigge
27-12-2008, 10:25 PM
i believe brown sauce cleans jewellery, cant verify

marie065
28-12-2008, 01:32 AM
i'lll give it a try if all else fails i have one of the items soaking in coke now to see how that gets on

i'll keep ye posted
cheers marie

marie065
28-12-2008, 10:50 PM
well the coke didnt seem to help so going to try the baking powder on 1 of them see how it goes
cheers marie

rccrchickie
30-12-2008, 07:35 PM
I have a solid silver bangle and the hallmark is oversized and used for the design. It gets tarnished in the hallmark over time. I use cigarette ash and a damp soft toothbrush or cloth. Gets rid of the tarnish a treat.

marie065
30-12-2008, 08:04 PM
cheers thanks i'll keep that in ,mind..

update
as i didnt have the baking powder to hand i tryed the brown sauce.
it was on a mans braclet and i must say with a bit of scrubbing the brown sauce made a bit of difference ..
but still black patches so i'm going to do the baking soda one tonite

cheers marie

bings
30-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi Have you tried google "aggie and ? how clean is your house." If anyone has suggestions I would think they have.

jenniferalan
30-12-2008, 10:54 PM
if ur jewellery is very precious u should get quotes from local jewellers because i would hate to see all these different methods ruining ur silver.

let us know how u get on!

wildepigge
30-12-2008, 11:22 PM
i tried the solution on http://www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/clean-tarnished-silver-jewelry.html on an old candle stick (how quaint)! seems to work better than the sauce (sauce seems to work better on brass and bronze) what are they putting into our food? VIVA NEWSTALK

marie065
31-12-2008, 12:13 AM
if ur jewellery is very precious u should get quotes from local jewellers because i would hate to see all these different methods ruining ur silver.

let us know how u get on!

thanks only 1 item is important the others he wouldnt really mind so if nothing works 100 o/o i'm going to take this item to the jewelers
just to be safe

cheers marie

marie065
31-12-2008, 12:30 AM
well i tried the baking powder method and it did take the black off but only now its a very dull grey colour.. so i thinking about trying the brown sauce again to see if it polishes it up abit... i've added a few photos there not great but there is a big difference in colour
cheers marie

jeana
31-12-2008, 01:19 AM
ooohh that's so sad- I think some sort of chemical reaction took place--- check on some internet sites- I dunno- I can't see any household product fixing that...........I'll have a look for you..
Kind Regards
Jeana

Sinamo
31-12-2008, 04:19 PM
believe it or not toothpaste is a great cleaner for silverware
put a little bit on a cloth and rub over ur silverware and buff up with another cloth and it brings it up a treat
it's the way i clean all my silverware
and it gives ur jewellery a lovely smell too

IRISH_iiiis
05-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I recently used vodka and it worked a treat, also coke works but not as effective..... Cheers d.c

IRISH_iiiis
05-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Forgot to say it must be left at least over nite if not longer.....

rccrchickie
15-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I don't know if you have solved the problem you are having. I am reading a magazine and in the tips section it gives one for cleaning tarnish from silver.

'Save the water after boiling potatoes and use it to clean your silver. It removes tarnish, leaving your valuables sparkling!'

If nothing else has worked, maybe this will.

Take Care

shonastar
15-01-2009, 10:01 PM
I have just saved a very, very tarnished Newbridge bangle! Cover a bowl with tin foil, add a tablespoon of bread soda, pop in silver item and cover with boiling water. In literally 30 seconds the bangle was good as new, I'm just sorry I didn't do before and after pics, as the difference was amazing.
However, here's the disclaimer...............I found this method on google, and it was the first and only time I've tried it, having said that, Newbridge stuff seems to be more delicate than sterling silver so I'd say it's fairly safe to try on anything silver, best of luck and hope this helps, Shonastar x

marie065
16-01-2009, 10:53 PM
thanks for the replys i've got one item nearly back to the way it was so i still have another chain and 3 rings all silver to go so i'll give them all a try on each one see which works best..

i'll try the vodka first while i have still some left in the bottle :)
cheers marie

IRISH_iiiis
20-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi marie, Save some vodka for me please lol

marie065
20-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Hi marie, Save some vodka for me please lol

i'll try my best :) but you'll have to get here quick lol

IRISH_iiiis
20-01-2009, 02:46 PM
if i knew where here was i would lol prob even bring some with me lol

Bubbles2
23-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I was watching one of them cleaning programmes on the TV and the tip they gave for cleaning silver was to use white chalk, you break it down to dust and add a little water to make a paste to clean silver and EPNS.

marie065
24-01-2009, 11:45 AM
hiya well i tryed the vodka but didnt work it lightened it off a bit but its still tarnished. onto the next one

cheers marie

IRISH_iiiis
25-01-2009, 01:53 PM
it worked for me. tell the truth you drank the yodka didnt ya !!!!!!

marie065
26-01-2009, 07:57 PM
it worked for me. tell the truth you drank the yodka didnt ya !!!!!!

ok ok you got me. i just couldnt do it :(

IRISH_iiiis
27-01-2009, 03:13 PM
i knew it.... sure its no wonder the country is in the con it is..... well as long as you enjoyed it thats all that matters lol CHEERS !!!!!!