PDA

View Full Version : 2 litre bottle of stale Cola - any uses?

julfren
10-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi

I have a two litre bottle of Nice Price (SuperValu) Cola that has lost its fizz and am wondering if I can put it to any use instead of throwing it down the sink.

The Ingredients read: Carbonated Water, Sugar, Colour(Caramel). Phosphoric Acid, Flavouring, Caffeine, Acidity Regulator (Tri Sodium Citrate), Sweeteners(Aspartame, Sodium Saccharin), Preservative
(sodium Benzoate), Citric Acid.

Any ideas for making use of it other than drinking it or throwing it away?

Jul

gillo
10-01-2009, 08:40 PM
It's ideal for cleaning jewellery, just by soaking. Any cola will do the same job. Wouldn't risk precious stones though, but plain silver or gold chains, rings bracelets etc. come up a treat. Just soak them overnight and rinse thoroughly in warm water afterwards. I also know of a guy who cleaned his bicycle chain by soaking in cola, and it came up gleaming. Best of luck x

Don
10-01-2009, 08:43 PM
hi julfren i put cola down the toilet and leave overnite or put ur glittery r diamond jewellery in it and it will sparkle.hope that helps dee

xmillyx2007
10-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Cola is a great way of getting rid of any burn marks in your pots.
You just pour the amount you need to where your pots are marked,
Put it on the cooker let it boil for about 5mins and all the burn marks will vanish...
Oh really bad burned pots you might have to do it twice, but it really does work i've tried its great, instead of all that srubbing and you don't have to waste your cola...

kilk
10-01-2009, 09:21 PM
hi julfren i put cola down the toilet and leave overnite or put ur glittery r diamond jewellery in it and it will sparkle.hope that helps dee

or kill two birds with one stone... put your jewellery and cola in toilet, no thief will steal it that nite anyhow!

gillo
10-01-2009, 09:31 PM
or kill two birds with one stone... put your jewellery and cola in toilet, no thief will steal it that nite anyhow!

Or if he tried, you could always hit him over the head with the burned pot! That'd be killing 3 birds lol!

Bunty
11-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Been thinking!! Why not put the jewellery in the pot with the cola, bring to the boil - simmer for 6 mins. allow to cool, pour contents of pot into toilet bowl, leave for 24hrs. get a piece if rubber tube (1/4") and siphon contents of bowl back into pot then remove the clean jewellery and rinse.
Get two mugs of bog-water add to pot, bring back to boil and allow to simmer for 8 mins. add 2 tbs of dark brown sugar and the rind of 1/2 a large lemon and the inside of 2 duck-eggs, simmer for a further 9 mins. it is important to keep stirring the liquid, allow to cool.
This recipe has been used for many decades as a natural face scrub.

wildepigge
11-01-2009, 09:18 AM
put rusty hinges nails padlocks anything iron or steel soaking in coke overnight
might stop you from buying it again :) awful stuff!

cormie
11-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Exactly, think what it's doing to your body with all the recommendations for other uses!

lemencass
11-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Nigella boils her ham in coke a cola,it turns out really yummy.

summersun
11-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I have learnt a lot of things that i never knew before today....thanks everybody, shame i had just finished bleaching the toilets... and i dont drink coke

Kilk you are a hoot, you could start your own Kilk's thought of the day thread... it is the first time i have laughed this early on a Sunday morning...

I wonder if coke would clean the oven if sprayed with coke and then turned on for a while....

Summesun

elbo
11-01-2009, 11:45 AM

Don't forget not to flush!!!!!!!

KD7
11-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Probably shouldn't be sold in the first place...

julfren
11-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Hi all

Many thanks to all who gave me ideas! And to those who had fun trying to prolong the life of the forlorn cola! Amazing when you read through the ingredients. They sound toxic! I presume if they're able to lift rust and grime from steel I wonder how sparkling the insides of Cola drinkers are?

I have put two fairly rusted tools (for sharpening carving knives) into the Cola and will leave them overnight. Am looking forward to good results tomorrow!

Regards
Jul

summersun
11-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Let's hope the sharpening stones are still there in the morning,

My grandfather always told me that if you left a tooth in coke for a week it would dissolve away to nothing???? i always wanted to try it ,but never had the heart to put one of my kiddies teeth into coke, luckily the tooth fairy always took them away.

Summersun

TheBear
12-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Do you remember how horrible chalk sounded on a blackboard? And how it never wrote properly on a blackboard that had just been washed or repainted?

Well, when working in a restaurant (and writing the specials on blackboards every day), I was told that wiping the board down with a little bit of coke before writing on it would solve all the problems. And it did! It may be due to the chalk sticking to the sugar, but I never thought about it too much.

Anyway, if you have a blackboard at home for your kids, or if you're a restauranteur, or a teacher, you could use it to improve the writing quality of your blackboard's surface.

wildepigge
12-01-2009, 02:26 PM
i remember years ago, pans people (very long time ago) the dancing troupe saying they dipped their platform shoes in coke to prevent them slipping, pans people mmmmm maybe it was legs 11 but it was one of them

tradinghippie
12-01-2009, 05:22 PM
you could try this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKoB0MHVBvM

julfren
12-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Great video tradinghippie- the sheer indulgence of it! Pity I've only got the one bottle of cola -not too fizzy either.
Jul

Moeby
12-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi I have 2 bottles of out of date Coke will try some of these, might even try cleaning the grill pan, always a horroble job. I definately won't try Kilk's idea, but you'd never know she might be on to something.

bluecurlygirl
13-01-2009, 03:12 PM
i remember years ago, pans people (very long time ago) the dancing troupe saying they dipped their platform shoes in coke to prevent them slipping, pans people mmmmm maybe it was legs 11 but it was one of them

Legs & Co - I remember them being on the Kenny Everett Show!!! Anyhoo, back to thread - I'm enjoying this. Will that face mask dissolve all wrinkles?

wildepigge
13-01-2009, 07:58 PM
it was pans people on top of the pops so! spike milligan said that if you eat enough hard boiled eggs you can live without breathing

kilk
13-01-2009, 11:09 PM
spike milligan said that if you eat enough hard boiled eggs you can live without breathing

im afraid to imagine what you would do instead!!!

wildepigge
14-01-2009, 08:52 AM
coke also is a handy dilutant for bicardi, vodka and rum!

Dunn-E
16-01-2009, 11:11 PM
theres a trick on u-tube where you drop mentos (mint ONLY) into a bottle of coke n a reaction is caused....
if you do this i recomend you go outside as it gets messy
hope it works out for you as its quite funny 2watch