PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration by the bucket load / Painting Wardrobe Tips?

mar754
14-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi All

I cant believe the the great ideas in the "Before and After" forum -- it is true inspiration to the rest of us.

I have been thinking of painting my wardrobes they are so dull,they are that kind of shiny wood finish could anyone tell what kind of paint would I use.

Once again congrats on all your hard work.

Sel
14-01-2009, 07:15 PM
hi, you can get special paint for going over varnish in the hardware shop. ive used an oil based paint - its perfect, but emulsion (what u put on the walls) will just scrape off very easily

jenniferalan
14-01-2009, 07:25 PM
painting wardrobes is actually very easy, i did mine last summer and my wardrobe is huge, took me 2 days, one day per coat, i think what i used was a matt gloss in cream and it came out perfect, good luck with the preject!

ps u can get advice in the paint shop if u bring in a photo of the wardrobe they will be able to give u the right paint

mar754
15-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Thank you Sel and Jenniferalan for your advice, this WILL be my New Year project and maybe one day my pics will be in Before and After someday.

Moeby
17-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Hi, don't know if this will work, maybe you can try a small area first. Coat with unibond, this is a glue base (I used it on my hall when the previous residents painted the hall with gloss paint), then undercoat with cheap emulsion anything including ceiling paint, finally paint your own colour. I have wardrobes that are laminate surfaces and am going to try this myself, as soon as I get time. Will let you know how I get on. Regards.

mar754
17-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks Moeby, Would love to know how you get on, I am still working up to all my New Year resolutions. This is one job I intend to complete as they are so boring strange how your taste change over time. Good luck with it Iam sure it will turn out great.

palminnie2
15-01-2012, 11:11 PM
just interested for i want to do all mine, sick of it!