PDA

View Full Version : sour milk - uses

julfren
29-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi
I have just noticed a carton of milk in the fridge which is a few days old. I don't think it would replace buttermilk for making homemade brown bread, or would it? Do you have to wait until it has gone sour before using it in bread-making? Or anyone know of any other uses for it?
Jul

elbo
29-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Well I did see a tip in a cookery book once that said if you are making brown bread and haven't sour milk, just add some lemon juice to fresh milk and it will turn sour.
If you are in a hurry and need buttermilk you could perhaps try that!!

3kidmum
29-01-2009, 08:30 PM
hi sour milk is fine for making brown bread once its not totally rancid

paprika
29-01-2009, 08:48 PM
When I was a kid my Grandma always had a jug near the fireplace and put fresh milk into it, then let it stand for a day. It became sour and curdy and it was delicious with fresh bread...

I used sour milk for making soda bread once and it was even more delicious than with buttermilk.

Regards,
p

julfren
30-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks all. Must get the ingredients now for the brown bread before the milk gets too sour!
Jul

Karolankan
04-02-2009, 12:50 PM
My mum used to put a little vinegar into fresh milk if she ran out of buttermilk.
The vinegar helped the milk turn sour. I have actually used this tip myself and the bread turned out lovely.