PDA

View Full Version : Re-purposed: Wax melts

colmsmum
23-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi All,

I have a serious addiction to yankee candles, especially the wax melts/tarts, I just love them but find I have loads of used wax & hate to throw it out (bit of a hoarder!) so I melt them all together to create a new scented candle. The one in the pic isn't great, it's the 1st one I tried, I give most of them away. They are so easy to make and if anyone wants any used wax melts just let me know, I have a constant supply!!!

Best regards,
colmsmum.

Bettybooboopbedoop
23-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Their lovely. I have made some candles and when they are set, melt a saved bit of wax and dip the underneath of the candle into the melted wax then dip the candle into a basin of sand. This covers the underneath of the candle in a thick layer of sand and looks fab. Great presents or on the BBQ table. The more colourful the better.

colmsmum
23-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Thats a great idea Betty, it'd be lovely in the summer (yeah right!) on the patio table with a few shells around it on a glass plate....mmm....you got me thinking there, must borrow some sand & shells next time I go to the beach!

Linn
24-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Well done and great job. Never thought of reusing the wax to make new candles, id just throw them out. Thats another reason why i love Jumbletown as there are brillant ideas on the green tips and before and afters. its amazing what can be done will a little imagination.

colmsmum
24-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks Linn, they're so simple to make & the best thing is, depending on what colour melts you buy, you can make them to match your decor. That one is a xmas one & was lovely on a plate surrounded by pine cones, cinnamon sticks & dried orange slices.

unapam
24-02-2009, 11:08 AM
What a good idea to use them to make more. I bet it looked lovely with the pinecones and cinnamon sticks too. Well done.

Moeby
01-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Hi y'all I once used old coloured candle wax to cover a large vodka bottle. I just melted the wax and let it drip down the bottle (you know the very large ones that you have to ask the publican for). It was beautiful and I used it to collect loose change. I collected E370 one time, but unfortunately one of the kids broke it one day so I now have a new vodka bottle and am hoping to do the same with it. Will post pics when it is done. (in the next century) lol...

okidoki
04-03-2009, 09:03 AM
can i ask how you melt the wax????? microwave, oven ????????

colmsmum
04-03-2009, 10:00 AM
can i ask how you melt the wax????? microwave, oven ????????

Hi okidoki,

It's a bit hard to explain but I'll try! First stick a skewer through the middle of each wax tart, you can put on as many as you like. Half fill a shallow plastic tub with boiling water. Dip the wax melts into the water and rotate them until all the edges have touched the water. You must do this quickly so it keeps it's shape. The boiling water should melt just enough wax to keep the candle together. Then just let it sit for a while to harden. Take out the skewer and thread the wick through the hole down the centre. That's it! Should take about 10-15mins in total.

Best regards,
colmsmum.

Bettybooboopbedoop
04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
you can also just use an old saucepan and melt the wax on the cooker. Not too much heat and keep stirring. The minute it is melted remove saucepan from the heat. Hot soapy water will clean the saucepan when you've finished.

colmsmum
04-03-2009, 12:40 PM
you can also just use an old saucepan and melt the wax on the cooker. Not too much heat and keep stirring. The minute it is melted remove saucepan from the heat. Hot soapy water will clean the saucepan when you've finished.

You would need a mould for this and I'm not sure how the colours would react, but you could make some interesting shapes.

jenniferalan
04-03-2009, 03:49 PM
oh wow, this sounds brilliant. Where do u get the wicks? I have a yankee candle in a glass holder. The wick has nearly run out but loads of was left around the side of the glass. How would i get this out to re-use? Pity to throw it away. Would it be possible to re-use this and put it into a tea light holder to create a new tea light? I use an oil burner all the time and go through a lot of tea lights!!

colmsmum
04-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi Jennifer,

You can buy the wicks on Ebay or in any good craft store. As regards the excess wax, when this happens my jars I use a tiny screwdriver (from a xmas cracker, lol) to break it off then I put it into an oil burner, it's essentially the same as the wax tarts. To prevent them burning down the middle in future, let a pool of melted wax form before extinguishing or buy a topper for them, they're brilliant.

Best regards,
colmsmum.

Bibi
04-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi Candle Lovers..........

Here is my tip for saving lovely expensive candles or indeed any candle; light candle & extinguish after an hour (approx- depends on candle!!). Let the now softened centre around wick go a little hard. Carefully scoop out just enough of this semi hard wax to make room to pop in a tea light, making sure it is level with top of original candle. It always works.....saves a fortune on repalacing candles, particularly the gorgeous ones you want to light & yet want to save!! This way you can have your cake and eat it. No drips & safer if you happen to FORGET you have a candle lighting & go out. When tea light is finished, just replace...new candle.....

You can also put a tiny drop of essential oil on the top of your candle (underneath the tea light) & the heat from the tea light will diffuse this & give a scented candle effect.

Happy tea lighting
Regards.
Bibi.

colmsmum
04-03-2009, 04:48 PM
And I thought I was the only one who did this, lol! Never thought of the essential oil though, must give that a shot, thanks for the tip bibi.

sidhe.eire
21-03-2009, 12:06 AM
I once used all my leftover candle wax to make a large rainbow coloured pyramid candle i used the ferrero rocher pyramid shaped box as a mould...just melted the wax bain marie style!! looked deadly too :)

colmsmum
21-03-2009, 12:30 AM
I once used all my leftover candle wax to make a large rainbow coloured pyramid candle i used the ferrero rocher pyramid shaped box as a mould...just melted the wax bain marie style!! looked deadly too :)

Great idea, must give that a go. I'll have to start hinting for a box of ferrero rocher, mothers day coming up and all.....:)

sidhe.eire
21-03-2009, 12:36 AM
Yep sounds like a plan to me!! hope u have a lovely mothers day :) forgot to say i let each layer dry b4 the next one went in... i must try putting them in all together swirly like to see if the colours stay seperated...anyways off to bed now to dream of ferrero rocher's!! Ciao x

cavalin
21-03-2009, 10:24 PM
l use a washed red bull can as a mold,cut the top off and punch a hole in the end and tread the wick through,use a small screw to seal it, when the wax is set you just need to peel the can away without any bother. it works a treat.

colmsmum
22-03-2009, 01:38 AM
There's no need for expensive moulds. Yoghurt pots, Margarine tubs, Milk cartons, Drinks bottles, Plastic/Polystyrene cups, Glasses, Old tea light holders can all be recycled and used as candle moulds. As well as the ones mentioned above. I'm sure there's more but they're all I can think of off hand. They can also be lined with grease-proof paper so they can be reused again & again.

colmsmum
23-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi Hurl,

These are the ones I have at the moment, 26 in total. They're mainly xmas ones but I'm starting to use my spring one's now so I'll have lots of pinks, blues, yellows etc in another couple of months. Your welcome to all or some if you like.

Best regards,
colmsmum.

paprika
25-03-2009, 02:51 PM
This looks stunning! It's great idea. May I ask what did you use for the wick?

regards,
p

colmsmum
25-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi Paprika,
I use wicks! You can buy them in craft shops or Ebay etc, pre-cut or cut to size.
Regards,
colmsmum.

jenniferalan
10-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi bibi

Im just wondering when u scoop out the melted max from the candle and put it in a tea light is it possible to re-use the wick from the old tea light or do u put in a new wick?

Thanks Colmsum - must look up some ebay shops for wicks!

Bibi
11-04-2009, 12:57 AM
Hi Jen,

This is a way of saving your nice candles...just light & let it burn for a little while. Put the flame out & then carefully remove enough of the warm wax from the candle to make space for a tea light. When that tea light is used, remove it & pop a fresh one. It will seem as if your candle is burning, but no.....just the tea light....don't think I explained it very well first time round... :) I suppose you could refill the tea lights & replace wicks, but they are so reasonable to buy, I don't thing it would be worth the hassle.

Happy candling!!

Bibi :)

Ellerocko25
03-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Oh my gosh, I am so addicted to those little yankee tarts too, they send out such a great smell and so strong too there gorgeous, I've never ever thought of keeping the wax thats left, I always throw it out.. I'm moving into a new house soon and I've sworn I won't use them anymore because I always tip off the table there on and knock the oil burner.. and I don't wanna ruin my new carept haha , I'm going to be having withdrawl symptoms haha, for sure..

Lucylugs
03-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi all,
I've made candles before and when I mixed all the bits together they were a dull colour so I added some of my little girls old crayons to brighten them up.
It works a treat!
Lucylugs

Ellerocko25
03-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Did I say yanky tarts haha , LMAO..

Laura h1
19-09-2009, 10:24 AM
hi can i put my hat in the hat for your wonderful eco idea and maybe write down instruction for me how to do - my husband is a candle addict and i hate seen bits of candles dumped thanks laura

Izzyizzy
30-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi all, This is exactly the reason why I love Jumbletown. Its all tthe wonderful people out there who have the fab ideas and the willingness to share them. What a fantastic bunch of people you all are. The way you all share and give to others. its just great. keep up the good work everyone. I too have found new homes for all the excess things I have in my home and thank you to all the people who wanted to take all the things I put up on here.

Pam.(izzyizzy)

Marhen
18-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Hi Colmsmum. That candle looks really well. I love the shape. great idea. Would make lovely pressies with a nice ribbon tied around. Marhen