PDA

View Full Version : Free Bubblewrap/Wrapping Paper

elbo
26-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I've just discovered how to get some bubblewrap and wrapping paper for free.

When someone sends me a bubble wrap envelope, I tear it apart and remove the bubble wrap from inside. This I use again for wrapping items to post on to other Jumbletowners.

Bought some pillows yesterday in Pennys. They were wrapped in plastic. I have discovered that if I turn the plastic inside out, it is really strong and I can use it for wrapping larger items.

The Pennys/Dunnes Stores larger brown paper bags are ideal for wrapping items. Just open the sides gently, turn inside out, cut to size and presto.

I'm sure everyone knows all this, but to anyone like myself who didn't,
I have taken photos to show how easy it is:

nanonano
26-02-2009, 06:06 PM
I've always used the Dunnes and Penney's bags to post items to family overseas. My mother in law uses the bags herself to keep her home grown vegetables fresh in the fridge. So I'm saving all the brown paper bags I can get my hands on.
Never thought of posting it as a tip. Thank you. I'm sure lots of people are going to use them now.

cavalin
26-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Linn gave a great tip! use a lidls bag turned insideout, its water proof and very strong and its not nearly as expensive as the real thing Thanks Linn

elbo
26-02-2009, 09:03 PM
I've always used the Dunnes and Penney's bags to post items to family overseas. My mother in law uses the bags herself to keep her home grown vegetables fresh in the fridge. So I'm saving all the brown paper bags I can get my hands on.
Never thought of posting it as a tip. Thank you. I'm sure lots of people are going to use them now.

Yes, I heard of that also. Putting the vegetables in brown paper in the fridge, they keep much longer.

4eyes
26-02-2009, 10:17 PM
That's a wonderful idea with the pillow bags, as used to be said necessity is the mother of invention.

colmsmum
27-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I just used your bubblewrap tip, brilliant idea! regards, colmsmum.

3kidmum
27-02-2009, 02:01 PM
great idea sent an sae yesterday .60c for a jiffy envelope for the sae and Eu1.30 for an envelope to post that in ,then postage so altogether works out a lot . Don't mind so much about postage but envelopes are a waste of money if you can avoid them.

Bubbles2
27-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Nice one Elbo!!!

Mumof3
01-03-2009, 11:30 PM
The next time you are in your local Spar buying anything from a bar of chocolate to a packet of crisps as for a paper bags. These brown bags are very strong especially if you put cellotape around them and they are free...

Proteavalley
01-03-2009, 11:34 PM
as I already posted I take off the labels of lotion bottles, shampoo bottles etc and use them to seal envelopes instead of sellotape works a treat.

easyliving
02-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Recently I sent a sae with a lot of stamps on it, as required. When it came back the post office had not franked the envelope so I removed all the stamps and reused them. I also removed the bubble wrap from inside. .I do notice that a lot of the time the stamps are not franked so I always look out for them. It is all recycling and trying to keep costs down.

cavalin
02-03-2009, 01:40 PM
over xmas l got loads of post without the stamps being franked,l never thought of reusing them! l,ll know better next time.

easyliving
02-03-2009, 01:50 PM
I try to steam them off but I use a little paste to stick them back again. It is unbelievable how many stamps are not franked. Waste not, want not!

nanonano
05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Recently I was stuck for a padded envelop but did have already printed paper and nappies. Folded A4 paper in A5 with the printed side on the inside, cut a nappie in half with sticky tape on the edge to prevent the grains falling out and closed it up with sticky tape.
Voila one padded envelop.
Now let's hope those glass bottles arrive in one peace.

Marathon Man
06-03-2009, 11:26 AM
I have a black refuse sack full of bubble wrap if anyone wants it....!!!!!

elbo
06-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Love some bubble wrap Marathon Man.
Will send you pm.
Thanks a million.

messy tessy
06-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Cereal boxs are great for protecting ornaments and easy to post as they are not so heavy i even put shoes and clothes in them books etc saves paper from ripping and easier for those ackward items to wrap

easyliving
06-03-2009, 11:38 AM
I would love some please, I am trying to protect my plants from the cold and running out of bubble wrap. May I send you an sae?
Regards
Carmel

elbo
06-03-2009, 11:40 AM
I would love some please, I am trying to protect my plants from the cold and running out of bubble wrap. May I send you an sae?
Regards
Carmel

Hi Easyliving,
Just wondering how the bubble wrap works to keep the plants protected. We've had lots of plants die in the frost. Your advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Elbo.

easyliving
06-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi, I just wrap the wrap around the pots and cover the top of it also. Just leave a few pin pricks for ventilation. If the plant is higher than the pots I use stryoform around the pot and then put the wrap over the top. It can also be used for seedings and they germinate really fast if left on a sunny window sill.
Another use I have for it is to stick it on my palstic green house where the zip is broken. It is the best thing for keeping frost from the plants. I hope this is of help to you, I would never be without the stuff!
Carmel

easyliving
06-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I forgot to say that if you want to stick it then use electrical tape, it stays put.

elbo
07-03-2009, 11:47 AM
I forgot to say that if you want to stick it then use electrical tape, it stays put.

Thanks Easyliving

summersun
07-03-2009, 06:55 PM
If anybody is looking for bubble wrap... my local Asda bins theirs. There are sheets of the stuff A4 size in their boxes of fruit and veg... i always collect the sheets to keep the kids occupied by popping whilst shopping... but if any body wants any i would collect for you if you send a sae

let me know

Summersun

eco chick
12-03-2009, 11:57 AM
i use the plastic got from wrapping for a mini glasshouse along with plastic and foiled tray from chinese etc and put on my window sills. my seeds are growing great