PDA

View Full Version : Paper/Plastic Recycling

Patience
03-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Does anyone else wash their plastic containers/bottles before putting them into the receycling bags? I've always washed everything. I'm under the impression that people stand at conveyor belts sifting through all this recyclable stuff. But I had a service engineer call to the house one day and I was washing a yoghurt carton and he seemed very surprised that I should wash it at all. So I was wondering am I the only one that does it? Am I mad?

buffy
03-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Does anyone else wash their plastic containers/bottles before putting them into the receycling bags? I've always washed everything. I'm under the impression that people stand at conveyor belts sifting through all this recyclable stuff. But I had a service engineer call to the house one day and I was washing a yoghurt carton and he seemed very surprised that I should wash it at all. So I was wondering am I the only one that does it? Am I mad?
No you are not mad! I wash everything too, dog food cans especially as I am sure the pong off them wouldnt be to pleasent, jars plastic lids every container
thats recyclable.Oh and tetra milk cartons as they are another item that would smell to high heaven.I think we are supposed to wash them anyway as far as I know.
Well its more hygenic.

Fries-With-That
03-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Hello Patience,

The companies that collect and recycle our various kinds of rubbish always ask that people wash out containers and bottles before putting them in the various banks.
They also ask that people remove caps from bottles (plastic or glass) because when these items are crushed the cap becomes a potential missile.
It also eases the work load of the people at the bring centres if you flatten cardboard boxes and remove the staples from magazines.

Keep washing and crushing,

Fries.

Patience
03-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Cheers! I knew the conveyor belt people had to be real.

Aceshigh
03-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Hi Yes I Think There Is A Little Madness In All Of Us Somewhere And As Regards The Plastic Bottles I Leave The Caps On But Only After I Have Crushed The Bottle As Small As Possible This Way You Are Not Filling The Recycling Bin With Bottled Air And You Can Get A Lot More In And If The Bottle Is Then Crushed Further The Lid Wont Become A Projectile Missile
..thanx
....a Slightly Mad At Times Wayne

carmen
03-11-2006, 08:03 PM
yeah i always wash them ,tins def need to be washed ,it must be a hard job to sort it all out

BillieT
03-11-2006, 10:51 PM
OH - MY - GOD I never thought of washing them - i'll be doing that in future. I split everything but it never entered my head to have them clean. Oh my bad.

buffy
03-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Preparing Materials for Recycling
Item Preparation before Recycling
Paper / Newspaper / Magazines / Junk Mail It is helpful to take out staples
Light Cardboard Flatten
Heavy duty cardboard Flatten, remove any polystyrene
Aluminium Cans Rinse out and crush
Steel Cans Wash out, ensure there is no food left ? there is no need to remove paper
Plastic Bottles Remove caps/corks. Rinse out and crush ? there is no need to remove paper
Beverage Cartons e.g. Tetrapak Take off plastic lid, rinse out and flatten
Glass Bottles & Jars Remove caps. Rinse out ? there is no need to remove paper.

Glass banks do not accept drinking glasses, pyrex or sheet glass
Soft Plastic Packaging Ensure it is not contaminated with food
Textiles No preparation needed
Household Hazardous Waste Ensure it is still labelled
Green Waste Remove any soil, litter or branches from palm trees which get jammed in shredder
Timber Remove nails or other such items.
Electrical Equipment No preparation needed
Batteries (domestic & car) No preparation needed
IT Computer Equipment No preparation needed
Brown Goods ? Televisions, Radios, Video players No preparation needed
White Goods ? Fridges, Freezers, Washing Machines, Cookers, Tumble Dryers No preparation needed
If in doubt leave it out!

Waste that isn't properly segregated can be very difficult to recycle so don't contaminate a waste stream with the wrong type of waste!
Recycling Facilities
Household recycling collection

Over one third of homes in Ireland now have a recycling bin/bag on their doorstep. If you have a recycling bin/bag, please ensure that you put the correct materials into it — check the label on your recycling bin/bag, or contact your service provider / local authority.
Bring Centres

Bring Centres are small unmanned collection points for recyclable materials, often located in the car parks of shops or schools. All local authorities have a large number of Bring Centres located in different towns or neighbourhoods within their administrative area. Unmanned Bring Centres are somewhat limited in the types of materials that they accept, mostly collecting glass, cans and textiles.

The number of Bring Centres and the materials they except varies from county to county. However more Bring Centres are coming on line all the time. It is best to access your local authority website (via our useful contacts page) or to contact your local authority's Environment Department directly for an up to date list. Every local authority has an Environmental Awareness Officer who will be able to tell you about future plans for recycling facilities or collections in your area.
Recycling Centres

Recycling Centres (also known as Civic Amenity Sites) are larger than Bring Centres and are manned. Most local authorities have at least one recycling centre in their administrative area. A wide range of goods are accepted but this varies from local authority to local authority and some counties have small charges. Items accepted can include fridges, freezers and other white electric items, smaller electronic items, computers, furniture, fluorescent bulbs etc.

It is important to make enquiries with your local authority or contact the site directly before setting out.

Some recycling centres also accept household hazardous (priority) waste such as waste oil, batteries, paints, bleach etc. It is extremely important that you do not dispose of such hazardous waste in your normal household rubbish.

Many local authorities also offer a hazardous waste or chemcar collection. This takes the form of a mobile collection unit which moves around the area and takes away hazardous household waste.

The frequency of the chemcar collections varies so contact your local authority for details or check out their website via the useful contacts link.

NOTE: Asbestos is extremely hazardous both to people's health and the environment and under no circumstances should it be disposed of with your ordinary waste.

Unfortunately local authorities no longer provide a collection service for asbestos. Instead it must be removed by a private contractor at a cost. Contact us or your local authority for details of contractors in your area.
Find a recycling centre in your area
Leinster

Carlow

Dublin City Council

Dublin (South)

Dublin (Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown)

Dublin (Fingal County Council)

Kildare

Kilkenny

Laois

Longford

Louth

Meath

Offaly

Westmeath

Wexford

Wicklow
Munster

Clare

Cork County Council

Cork City Council

Kerry

Limerick County Council

Limerick City Council

Tipperary North Riding

Tipperary South Riding

Waterford City Council

Waterford County Council
Connaught

Galway County Council

Galway City Council

Leitrim

Mayo

Roscommon

Sligo
Ulster

Cavan

Donegal

Monaghan

and Local Government

blackbeauty
04-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Wow!
Buffy, this quite nice, interesting and educative. I was wondering if you know any place where i can take used clothes to for recycling. I have quite a few that my kids used and to be honest it's not something that i would want to pass down as i feel that they are really worn out!
Thanks

Patience
04-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Blackbeauty, there might be a clothes recycling bin at your local recycling centre. Cerebral Palsy sometimes have yellow bins at the centres.

buffy
04-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Wow!
Buffy, this quite nice, interesting and educative. I was wondering if you know any place where i can take used clothes to for recycling. I have quite a few that my kids used and to be honest it's not something that i would want to pass down as i feel that they are really worn out!
Thanks
Freephone 1800 204 304

Recycle LogoFor the address of your nearest clothing bank phone the Freephone number above or check out our Local Services Map. Enable Ireland clothing banks are located throughout Ireland. Donations can also be made directly in all Enable Ireland shops.
Leinster

25 Capel St, Dublin 1
Tel: (01) 8733867

Unit 8, Sth Gt Georges St, Dublin 2
Tel: (01) 4782763

28 Lr Camden St, Dublin 2
Tel: (01) 4780647

Unit 10 Phibsboro Shopping Centre, Phibsboro, Dublin 7
Tel: (01) 8308750

43 Main St, Finglas, Dublin 11
Tel: (01) 8347304

1 - 2 Midland Court, Longford
Tel: (043) 41205

32 Shop St., Drogheda, Louth
Tel: (041) 9839650

Unit 2 Kennedy Rd, Navan, Co Meath
Tel: (046) 9073466

29 Main St, Bray, Co. Wicklow
Tel: (01) 2723743

Warehouse
31A Rosemount Pk Dr, Ballycoolin Rd, D 11.
Tel: (01) 8857155

Munster

1 High Street, Ennis, Co. Clare
Tel: (065) 6823799

32 North Main Street, Cork
Tel: (021) 4272828

39 Princes St, Cork
Tel: (021) 4278280

9 Mary St, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary
Tel: (052) 26202

36 Michael St, Waterford
Tel: (051) 841696

4 Upr. William St, Limerick
Tel: (061) 314334
Connaught

23/24 High Street, Galway
Tel: (091) 564857

2 Market Square, Castlebar, Co Mayo
Tel: (094) 9024512

Unit 2, Wine St Car Park, Sligo
Tel: (071) 9150259

Aceshigh
04-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi I Can See You Are Very Good With All This Info You Are A Very Good Person To Have On A Site Like This As Your Knowledge Is Very Vast And I Can See How You Got Senior Status It Is Nice To See That Some People Are Very Keen To Help With Recycling And Also Willing To Give The Information To Others Such As Enable Ireland My Hat Definatly Goes Off To You Buffy And Everyone Else Who Follows In Your Footsteps Again Very Good Site If There Was A Rating To Be Put On People You Would Definatly Get My Full Vote
..thanx
....wayne P.S. JUST ONE WAY TO RECYCLE YOUR OLD MOBILE FONE

buffy
04-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Hi I Can See You Are Very Good With All This Info You Are A Very Good Person To Have On A Site Like This As Your Knowledge Is Very Vast And I Can See How You Got Senior Status It Is Nice To See That Some People Are Very Keen To Help With Recycling And Also Willing To Give The Information To Others Such As Enable Ireland My Hat Definatly Goes Off To You Buffy And Everyone Else Who Follows In Your Footsteps Again Very Good Site If There Was A Rating To Be Put On People You Would Definatly Get My Full Vote
..thanx
....wayne
And thank you for your lovely comments.

Aceshigh
04-11-2006, 08:23 PM
not only information but a picture for every occasion too
..a big thanx
....wayne

buffy
04-11-2006, 08:50 PM
not only information but a picture for every occasion too
..a big thanx
....wayne
Makes the place a lot more friendlier

RockyD
20-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Buffy you are a mine of information. Yes we all need to wash and crush for recycling. I see a person putting out recycling bags and they could have about 7 for collection if they crushed they may have 2. No logic to this the bags here cost about €3 each.

Plastic bottles, cereal boxes ,washing powder boxes, they take up alot of space in a bag. Crush it and you would get 3 to 4 times as much in.

I really feel for the persons sorting. We should think of them when we drop an unwashed item in a bin/bag.

Naillij
20-10-2008, 09:56 AM
hey i always wash and crush but have a question on recycling. what about yoghurt pots? can these be recycled? and all of them or some? some are papery material (eg irish yogurts), some are light plastic (eg yoplait) and some are heavy plastic (cant think of the name but some expensive ones i bought in tescos half price a few weeks ago!).

Someone told me once if you look at the bottom of plastic containers where there is the recycling symbol with a number inside, that it is only the 1's and 2's that can be added to our recycling bin, is this true?
thanks in advance!
Jill

smokeyeyes
20-10-2008, 11:27 AM
I wash everything out before placing in recycling bin. Could you imagine the pong from plastic milk bottles a few weeks later ?! As other posters have said crush the milk containers as small as possible and replace lid, cutting down on volume. Also wash those plastic trays/containers that meat comes packed in and remove the absorbant paper that is stuck in bottom. Would imagine that whole load would be contaminated if you don't do this as any food deposits would rot the rest of recyclables. Recycling can only work if done properly.

I even wash jam/marmalade jars in dishwasher before putting in glass bin ! and place plastic/tin lids in recycling bin. I would think that all yogurt cartons are recyclable, as some are plastic and others are like tetra.

Another tip is if you have say a cereal box to recycle and you have lots of items to place in bin while preparing food (such as packaging) I generally crush items and scrunch loads into box before placing in Green bin, therefore taking up less space in my recycle bin.

unapam
20-10-2008, 04:25 PM
That info. is great. I have found out some of the things I was unsure of. Well done!

TheBear
20-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Someone told me once if you look at the bottom of plastic containers where there is the recycling symbol with a number inside, that it is only the 1's and 2's that can be added to our recycling bin, is this true?
thanks in advance!
Jill
There are seven different types of plastic, and different recycling facilities accept different types. For instance, the ones you can put into the Dublin City Council green bin is different from the ones that can be accepted in the DCC Bring Centre closest to us, which again differs from the plastics accepted by Panda within DCC.

This link explains the different types of plastic. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code) I think pretty much all of the seven types can be recycled in different places around Dublin, but I think driving around the city to do the recycling in seven places defeats the purpose in terms of petrol used.

This does bring me to a pet peev of mine, which is about labelling of packaging. Most plastics use one of the recycling symbols, but what about crisp packets, for instance: they're foil, coated in plastic. Are they recycled as plastic or as metal? They have the little symbol saying that they're recyclable, but without more information, we're (or at least, I am) at a loss as to how to recycle it. Another example: I noticed in work that the 'paper' which surrounds reams of Xerox printing paper has the plastic code 7 on it. It's paper, coated with wax or plastic to make it stronger, which means you can't recycle it as paper. Just including that information means I was saved from contaminating a recycling stream. Wouldn't it be better if the Dept of Environment (or the EU, maybe) brought in a system whereby all packaging would include a code telling people what type of material it was made from, thereby telling people how to recycle it? It's not as if the info has to have a dominant position or anything.

I've been thinking of sending a letter to the Dept on this issue, but haven't quite got around to it yet. Maybe this thread will provide the push needed.

Naillij
20-10-2008, 07:55 PM
sorry now but another question, our green bin says it takes envelopes, does it just mean plain paper ones? should i tear out the little plastic window on bank ones etc? and what about padded envelopes? got 2 today, do i just bin them?

smokeyeyes
20-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi Naillij, personally I just place them entirely into the green bin.

The Bear: Don't know if i'm understanding you correctly, but are you saying that you must put all your paper together as well as all your different plastics etc..? I just place all recyclables in Green bin. There was no directions from our service providers to say that we must do the sorting for them. Just recycle everything you can!

TheBear
20-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi Naillij, personally I just place them entirely into the green bin.

The Bear: Don't know if i'm understanding you correctly, but are you saying that you must put all your paper together as well as all your different plastics etc..? I just place all recyclables in Green bin. There was no directions from our service providers to say that we must do the sorting for them. Just recycle everything you can!
The green bin where we were living last year didn't take any sort of plastic, so we had to pay attention to where we were putting everything. All the paper in the green bin, all the plastic and glass brought to the Bring Centre. I know that people who live in areas where there aren't kerbside collections have to bring their waste to their local recycling centre, where they have to separate it into the different bins.

smokeyeyes
20-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Didn't realise that Bear. Our green bins take everything now. In the beginning we couldn't put tetra/plastic bottles in them. So we had no choice but to put them in black bin because our bi-monthly collection in local car park didn't take them either. But even then we didn't have to sort anything out, just brought it all down and they did the sorting.

sweensie
21-10-2008, 07:09 AM
I noticed at the weekend in our local supermarket that they now have little boxes at the end of the tills (the bit where your groceries go so you can pack them) where you can recycle your used batteries!
I think this is great, batteries are always a problem to recycle, so it will be great to be able to bring them to the supermarket to dispose of them properly.

TheBear
21-10-2008, 09:00 AM
I noticed at the weekend in our local supermarket that they now have little boxes at the end of the tills (the bit where your groceries go so you can pack them) where you can recycle your used batteries!
I think this is great, batteries are always a problem to recycle, so it will be great to be able to bring them to the supermarket to dispose of them properly.
Yeah, this is an EU initiative, part of the WEEE. Anywhere that sells batteries has to collect batteries of the same type for recycling.

RockyD
21-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes I have seen these in a few places. The local schools have been collecting them all last year. to get some award for the amount they recycle. children would take the good ones on you to get the most going into school its great they are aware. but I think it is to be the one with the most not for the recycling value.

chaos
31-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi. most of the above posts apply to Dublin.

Is anybody in Cork as knowledgeable about resources here?

We dutifully put out our recycling bag every fortnight, but the council can't or won't take all recyclables.
I need enlightenment on:

FABRIC RECYCLING. Mostly unwearable, but clean clothes, beyond charity shop use ( ie with an odd stain, broken zip or rip-yes, I know I should be mending them...)

CHEMICALS. I think there are a few collections per year around the City in mobile units. Other than listed in the Echo etc, is there an online list ?

BATTERIES. I haven't seen battery collection boxes in supermarkets here. Was it only a school initiative ? If it's a UN directive, why aren't they in Tesco etc, or am I just unobservant?

Thanks.

smokeyeyes
31-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Hi. most of the above posts apply to Dublin.

Is anybody in Cork as knowledgeable about resources here?

We dutifully put out our recycling bag every fortnight, but the council can't or won't take all recyclables.
I need enlightenment on:

FABRIC RECYCLING. Mostly unwearable, but clean clothes, beyond charity shop use ( ie with an odd stain, broken zip or rip-yes, I know I should be mending them...)

CHEMICALS. I think there are a few collections per year around the City in mobile units. Other than listed in the Echo etc, is there an online list ?

BATTERIES. I haven't seen battery collection boxes in supermarkets here. Was it only a school initiative ? If it's a UN directive, why aren't they in Tesco etc, or am I just unobservant?

Thanks.

Chaos, as regards the batteries, as far as i know all the Tesco's have these, if they don't ask about them.

Chemicals: Contact your local County Council
http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Divisional%20Services/Waste%20Management

http://www.corkcorp.ie/ourservices/environment/wasteoperations/

Clothes: What about clothes banks ? Anything that's not in good enough condition to be worn is recycled for industrial cleaning rags as far as I know.

Hope this helps you.

chaos
01-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi Smokey Eyes,

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if the clothes banks were just for wearable clothes. That's good to know.

I see on the news that the recycling industry is in big trouble. Not too encouraging to hear.

Chris P
03-11-2008, 09:07 PM
I see on the news that the recycling industry is in big trouble.
Hi chaos,

According to a Dept of the Environment press release (3/11/08), the international market for recycled paper/cardboard in particular has collapsed. (Earlier in the year, the DOE reported that 83% of all recyclable material in Ireland is "necessarily exported." Given recent developments, it seems that JumbleTown's ethos of re-use/life-cycling before (premature) recycling is more important than ever.)

Minister Gormley said: “Up until very recently, good quality paper, the type typically found in green bins, was getting 200 dollars a tonne but that has now dropped to 75 dollars. Lower quality contaminated paper had been getting 100 dollars but at present is not being taken at all...

“We have a short-term market failure and I recognise that this presents serious challenges for the waste industry. The most urgent problem is to have more storage capacity in place..."

Let's hope that more re-use will be encouraged plus greater regulation of the excess packaging used on most items. After all, if we have a mountain of recyclates going into the Christmas period, where will be after the unpacking of all those prezzies...up to our necks! All vacant space will have to utilised. Dail Eireann is usually empty isn't it!? :)

Details here:

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/News/MainBody,18785,en.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin

PIC BELOW: In "A Day in the Life," the Beatles said they discovered "how many holes it takes to fill up the Albert Hall." Does anyone have any idea how many flattened boxes it might take to fill up Dail Eireann? :)

chaos
03-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Thanks for that response Chris. Hmm. Interesting.

Incase people haven't seen the trailer, there's a watchdog type programme - 'Buyer Beware' on Thursday night at 8.30pm, RTE 1 re bogus recycling companies, such as those who post all those flyers through our doors, which in this house go straight into our council recycling bag. Haven't thought of a reuse for them yet.

corker
07-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Chaos, I have noticed those batteries collection boxes in Atlantic Homecare in Blackpool. Also Pouladuff Dismantlers at bottom of Forge Hill take metal - bought a new gas cooker, but the WEEE does not cover it, so had to get rid of the old one (leaking gas so did not JT it). At Pouladuff they also were taking radiators etc...if anybody needs to know.
Creches, playschools also may take plastic holders, squeezy bottles etc, for play activities, art work with kids, if you have a smallie.
Regards
Corker

chaos
08-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Hi Corker,

Thanks for that info. I'll check out Atlantic Homecare re the batteries. Did somebody say shops only recycle the same makes/types of batteries that they sell ? Interesting that Pouladuff dismantlers take metals. Good to know.

Chaos

Chris P
30-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Dept Of Environment Press Release (19/12/08):

Minister Publishes Report on Recycling Market

The Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government John Gormley TD today (18th December 2008) published the First Report of the Action Group on the recycling market.

The Group was established last month by the Minister following a dramatic fall in the international price for ‘recyclates’ or materials collected for recycling The drop in demand was very rapid and was caused by the current international economic situation, combined with the very large fall in oil prices. Ireland exports 85 per cent of its recycling material, and the price fall has led to serious difficulties within the recycling industry in Ireland.

Details here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/News/MainBody,19146,en.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Chris P
30-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Dept of Environment Press Release (30/12/08):

Minister Gormley Highlights Funding of €24m for Recycling Initiatives for Local Authorities in 2008

€12m in Capital grants
€10m to support the Operating Costs of Recycling Facilities
€2m in support of WEEE Operational costs

Details here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/News/MainBody,19167,en.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Chris P
20-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Dept of the Environment Press Release (19/01/09)

"Minister Gormley opens major new materials recovery facility to serve the Dublin region."

Mr. John Gormley, T.D., Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government today (19 January 2009) opened one of the largest and most sophisticated Materials Recovery Facilities in Europe. The facility is located at Ballymount in Dublin 12 and will cater for the processing of Green Bin materials in the Dublin region for the next 20 years, using the most modern electronic and mechanical equipment on the market. It is a joint venture between the four Dublin local authorities.

Details here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/News/MainBody,19321,en.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Chris P
29-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Dept of the Environment Press Release (28/01/09)

- Continuing Progress made in Recycling
- Need to increase progress towards landfill diversion

“ Ireland continues to make significant progress in terms of recycling, but we need to move our focus towards prevention and reduction”, said Mr. John Gormley, T.D., Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government reacting to the publication of the National Waste Report 2007 by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today (28 January).

Prevention
The Report indicates that Ireland must move towards reduction and prevention while addressing the development of waste as a resource. Minister Gormley said “Initiatives such as the National Waste Prevention Programme headed by the EPA can contribute to a reduction in the level of resources used and to the development of a more sustainable economy...

Details here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/News/MainBody,19396,en.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Chris P
29-01-2009, 01:09 AM
A summary of the Environment Protection Agency's National Waste Report (2007) can be viewed here:

http://www.epa.ie/news/pr/2009/name,25605,en.html

maire1
27-05-2010, 09:01 PM

I wash out all plastic/glass containers, and tetra cartons before sending to recycle. I wouldn't like to handle dirty stuff and wouldn't expect anyone else to either. Keep up the good work!