PDA

View Full Version : Old Singer Sewing Machine

unapam
29-05-2009, 02:47 PM
My husband groaned when I hauled home this heap of rusty junk. Even he did not think I could turn it around. (Oh -ye of little faith)
It was various parts of an old industrial Singer sewing machine stand and odd bits of another one.

Now it is a trendy and useful potting table and I used the odd bits to make a garden ornament for Hmself (the unbeliever) He is a singer/guitarist and loves frogs....Sew...... ('scuse the pun) I made this and guess what? He loves both of them.

Bubbles2
29-05-2009, 03:14 PM
I love them - wish I had half your artistic talent!!! Just in time too for the lovely sunshine!!
B2

shonastar
29-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Absolutely stunning Queen Unapam, I am in serious awe of your talent!!
Best wishes, Shonastar x

susie1
29-05-2009, 03:29 PM
that is fab..you have a talent!

Bunty
29-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Well done, again. B.

Linn
29-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Fab job Unapam. You just keep getting better and better. Your ideas are wonderful.
regards Linn

TanTan
30-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Im inspired, must keep an eye for old rusty things for the garden. What an amazing thing a splash of black paint can do. Well done, I love it.

unapam
30-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all your lovely comments. I just painted the rusty parts with Hammerite and picked out the word "Singer" in gold paint.

The potting table has Singer on both sides and on the foot treadle, (it's hard to see in the picture) I love these old machines and have four of them so far and all repurposed as something else. I have a further one that is in perfect working order. I just added an electric motor and electric foot pedal. It dates from the thirties and still has all its accessories in original box and it's original tube of machine oil. The packing slip from the facrory is still in the box!

This one was hauled from a skip in Portmarnock a couple of years ago by a friend of mine who "Saw this and thought of you" I must add a picture of it up here. It's a beauty!

UPDATE: Photos added

minnie pal
01-06-2009, 09:58 PM
My dear deceased Mum had one of these singer stand and she repurposed it as you did, but Mum had dementia and we showered our love as she made a pattern on the top of mdf, WITHOUT OUR help.
She was always doing this sort of thing.
this is a very special memory seeing yours here Unapam

Eily
02-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi Pam,
Great job. I really love those old Singer machines, but haven't been able to get my hands on one at all. So I'm mad jealous of your four!!!
Great job with the revamps. Cool.
Eily

hackytza
15-07-2009, 09:41 AM
That is really cool! Well done!

colmsmum
15-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Fantastic job unapam, love the frog!