PDA

View Full Version : Old cashmere jumper quilt

vintagefan
31-05-2009, 09:56 AM
This is a quilt made from old cashmere jumpers that have been washed in hot water and then tumble dried. (Notice the tiny pocket in one of the blocks.) I was able to finally finish this with the generosity of someone from here whom sent me a shrunken cashmere jumper. (Thank you again!) The size of this quilt is small and is for a baby. The Spongebob Squarepants fabric is from my own personal stash and is the backing for the quilt.

unapam
31-05-2009, 11:25 AM
That's fantastic. I have heard of felting before but have not tried it yet. I believe you can felt any wool fabric? My friend knitted and then felted a handbag and it turned out great.

Love the quirky pocket!

vintagefan
31-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Yes you can use wool as well for felting. I used cashmere here for the extra softness, which seemed more appropriate for a baby. In the past I have used felted wool jumpers/scrap fabrics in quilts as well. The felting process basically ensures the end item can be machine washed and is very low maintenance. Furthermore the material is denser and easier to work with as well as being warmer. Felting is a great way to utilise all left over materials. The bits that are too small for anything I save and use as stuffing for pillows and the like.

smokeyeyes
31-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Wow love this idea, well done. When I think of the amount of jumpers I have thrown out over the years which I've ruined through washing and shrinking I could cry :( Could have had some lovely bags etc.. from them

vintagefan
31-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Well if it is any consolation, chances are there will be jumpers in your future that get ripped, stained, etc. that you'll be able to use for felting!

nono
01-06-2009, 02:31 AM
Feeling quite backward here ! TO FELT do you just wash in a hot wash and then just tumble-dry ?

Really really lovely quillt by the way

vintagefan
01-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Yes, that is essentially it! Some people wash the items they intend to felt in hot water and tumble dry numerous times but you can google "felting" for further information. Often I just have to do one or two cycles to get the desired results.

nono
02-06-2009, 01:25 AM
Hi Vintagefan, thanks a mill for the info. Best Wishes, Nono