PDA

View Full Version : Daft question! re: Making a mosaic for a table top

minnie pal
01-06-2009, 04:00 PM
what to use when making a mosaic for a table top.
I want to include old photos, what to use to preserve these.
Gonna put glass or perspex on four wee stoppers on the edge a bit up from the design.
Advise seriously needed.
Was in the hardware shop. they were useless.
Me! An x-art college grad!!!!
No its age really, promise.
Minnie Pal.

neid
01-06-2009, 04:06 PM
what to use when making a mosaic for a table top.
I want to include old photos, what to use to preserve these.
Gonna put glass or perspex on four wee stoppers on the edge a bit up from the design.
Advise seriously needed.
Was in the hardware shop. they were useless.
Me! An x-art college grad!!!!
No its age really, promise.
Minnie Pal.

What about painting them all with pva glue, i did it for a notebook and it worked well. It will dry to a waterproof see through cover on the photo. you could try lamitating them either but its a hassle if you dont have a laminator/pouches. I wouldnt recommend varnish cos it can damage the photo/paper over time. Ive just finished putting a perspex top on a wicker table for my little girl...I put lots of fabric butterflies under it and used clear silicone to hold it in place.
Have fun
Sinead

minnie pal
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
forgot to say, this is going to go OUTDOORS. Yes, I like the way you put the butterflies down, sounds more delicate than white paste all over the place.
Laminate might bubble in the heat but your other suggestion could work.
Thanks, should have asked the question before I went to the bleedin hardware shop just now.

mrsl
01-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Just a thought.......

.....If you are going to put the table outdoors, I'd scan or make colour photocopies of the photos you are going to use first and then use these....the sun and rain will eventually fade the images no matter how well you cover/treat them.

A good printer can scan and make excellent copies of photos and then the laminate or PVA glue will bring up the 'shine'.

Never use originals...especially if they are precious to you. At least by using a photocopy then your precious photos will still be safe.

jenbear
03-06-2009, 02:52 PM
THis project sounds great, I'd love to see a photos when you have it finished...

Taja
09-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Ive actually laminated photos before and they have turned out perfect to be honnest i never thought that they might bubble or i might not of tryed it but it worked for me as had a small laminator think it was more for buisness cards but my photos were perfect.

Mandolin
10-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Hi, just to say if you're using perspex make sure it's UV resistant. I got the wrong stuff for my cold frame and it disintegrated in a few months, it got brittle and discoloured and broke up. Glass is probably better.
M.

freebegiver
11-06-2009, 08:49 AM
hi. just a suggestion. laminate yr photos then put yr glass ontop. or place yr laminated photos in position ,cut shape of glass to photo and put yr tiles around photo. you can cover the whole lot after with glass. hope this might give you idea. Dave

minnie pal
10-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Well, i am NOW preparing that table top! it actually will be real mosaic cos over the year things change, but, heres what i am doing. its going to be a reversable table top!!!
to suit my feelings and tastes and change.
the table top will be mosaic on one side and image on the other!
hows that! two for the price of one
x
minnie pal
photos shall follow when done, promise.