PDA

View Full Version : ***what you think-colour bungalow-pics*****

minnie pal
20-06-2009, 09:42 PM
I am VERY close to two small bugalows and sandwiched between em.
one is painted a pale yellow, a lovely colour indeed, the other a very harsh terracotta
i was thinking for mine which is in the middle a light lilac or purple, very pale and leaving the porch area white cos its beautiful wood and has already been that colour in a past life.
would this be a nice option?
any suggested gratefully received.
I cannot afford to make a mistake.

FRIEND SHOWED ME HOW TO PHOTOSHOP PLAIN COLOUR WITHOUT CONTOUR SHADING ONTO MY WEE 'HOOSE' I AM HOPING THAT CHRIS WILL BE ABLE TO PUT EM ON HERE. WAIT FOR IT! A VOTE IS NEEDED ON THIS ONE, I WILL TRY MORE COLOURS I THINK TOO.
XMINNIE PAL AND WAITING!!!

Fries-With-That
21-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi Minnie,

take a picture from across the road of all three houses, load it onto your computer and paint your house with one of the many paint programmes.

This should give you an idea of what your house will look like.

Regards,

Fries.

minnie pal
21-06-2009, 07:10 AM
my twin said that last night and she knows nought about computers, i can do that, for sure.
thats a great idea actually, i never thought of it.
xminnie pal

bluecurlygirl
22-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I've always dreamed if I had a little bungalow that I'd paint it baby blue with yellow round the windows and door so it'd look like a little doll's house!!! That's just me.... a little cracked ;-)

minnie pal
28-06-2009, 12:20 AM
did you go to 'blooms' in the phoenix park? they had just such a colour scheme on one of their show gardens, cottage garden!
minnie pal

bluecurlygirl
30-06-2009, 08:30 PM
No I didn't I'd love to have gone though. Mmm wish I had've copyrighted that idea!! Would love to have seen it in reality instead of just in my head.

caoimhe19
30-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi Minnie pal, that sounds lovely to me!
I live in a row of seven terraced houses, the house on one side of mine is grey(yuk!) and on the other a dreadful dreadful murky dark brown!!!(even more yuk) Mine is painted a pale yellow but doesn't really improve overall look!!!

I have racked my head trying to think of a colour that i could paint mine that would improve the overall look and quite a few people have suggested a pale purple/lilac. since the suggestions, i have started looking round at house colour schemes, and have come to the conclusion that that pale purply lilac looks really well no matter whats beside it!!

Have a look round at other houses and their colours and see what you think

Good Luck

Hope this helps,

Caoimhe

Bunty
30-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Hi Minnie pal,
Just noticed your post and i'm thinking Lilac/Purple for the exterior of a house Noooooooo Waaaay. I've seen it on a neighbour's house and it is not my cup of tea and other neighbours feel the same.
However, this is just my opinion and if you are spending a lot of money, it needs to be right! No offence meant by this comment. Fries suggestion sounds good.
Best of Luck with the work anyway. Regards, B.

thepallasbull
30-06-2009, 11:58 PM
find a friend or photographer who uses photoshop and with that and a picture af all three houses you can change to any colour in seconds and to any shade
this is how they change the color on dresses in fashion mags

tasmin
01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
i've seen some of them did in pale yellow and the windows and patio done white...looks fab!

whatever you do, dont paint it PINK.
i remember coming through the country one time and seen this beattiful made house and dont know what the owner was thinking, because they painted it pink, bright baby pink...it took away from the house and made it look dowdy.

thats a great idea to upload and put the colour on your house to see what it looks like first.

wish i could do that room by room :-)

anyway, good luck with choosing your colour.

minnie pal
04-07-2009, 07:57 PM
great ideas now here! I am also 'officially' in said 'cottage'
i still like lilac but no it will NOT be pink! but when i sit in my still concrete patio i do not see lilac working at the back of the cottage. I am wondering if i actually could use the yard house wall to do a mural of some kind, whatever colour i think for it doesnt work in my brain for me and i am thinking to forget it for the moment.
the front seems far easier.
I do have photoshop and a friend who could actually show me how to use that to do what has been suggested here.
I am too tired right now to teach self!!!!
xxminnie pal

happiness
04-07-2009, 08:40 PM
hiya my house is a cottage which we extented to the back but still looked like a cottage but we have just painted it and all the dashing is white so we painted the capping and the window ledges a blue and my it brightened the whole house up and totally revamped the house.also the windows were wood so we primed ,undercoated them and then painted them with white gloss .some difference and the house looks alot bigger than it actually is.also painted my front door navy .i will put a put a pic up later to show you.
kind regards
mags

kiwicooke
04-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Why not join the colours of the neighbours houses? Light lemon on the walls and not so dark terricotta on the capping and window sills?

minnie pal
05-07-2009, 10:38 PM
donno about that! Have to say we are not talking about a lot of WALL, its a 'borrower' or lilliputian pad!
xminnie pal

Chris P
05-07-2009, 11:01 PM
http://www.greendiy.ie/

minnie pal
18-07-2009, 11:45 PM
there really is a very small masonry part of front of cottage, but i was thinking of a very light dusky lilac not strong colours at all, the great thing being there is so little to cover, if it is truely dreadful it can be changed no prob. might take a drive round tomorrow to get a good look at house colours.
xminnie pal

bluecurlygirl
20-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Your house looks lovely Minnie Pal. I love the little bit over the door. So cute. I like picture 2 if that's any help.

Bawnie
21-07-2009, 12:55 AM
What about a coffee and cream? You are mad about purple, what about purple flower pots to compliment whatever colour you choose!! ;) Or plain flower pots with purple flowers? I personally think, beige and cream ! Good luck with it!

mrsl
21-07-2009, 08:01 AM
I like photo 3, the yellow, it makes the cottage look brighter than the other two colours. You could bring the other colours you like into the scheme with flowers in your pots.
mrsl

keno
21-07-2009, 08:20 AM
pic 3 also for me , it just blends in so well with next door.

cathy
21-07-2009, 09:24 AM
ok, I would use a stencil and paint flowers growing up the wall of the cottage.Its just beautiful.
I would also use a pale , but slightly yellow background , to have a bit of sunshine.
some wooden but out ladybirds, and snails, maybe done with MDF, and painted in a shiny gloss, nail them/glue them to the front of the cottage.
cathy

summersun
21-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Hi Minnie Pal,

This is going to be a great thread, although one persons idea of a great colour is anothers nightmare...

Over the past few years i drove all over looking at every show house and new developments looking for inspiration as we built a new house ourselves.

Out of the 3 colours you have up... here i go, although i dont like lilac it comes across as being a cool and calming colour and is the best of the 3... the blue i think looks very wishy washy and a bit dull... sorry bcg ... and the yellow would need to be a bit brighter and warmer... it looks to be a very old and dated colour... I dont mean to offend that's why i said one persons great colour is anothers nightmare.

On a trip down to Wexford and Waterford to buy plants that wont survive up here in frosty damp old Monaghan... i came across a beautiful individual housing development in Wexford where every home was a different colour... and the ones that stood out from the rest were Lilac, Olive green, Bawnies idea of coffee and cream... and mushroom.... i will ask the husband if he can remember the development as there was a website that did justice to these houses. I am sorry i cant remember the name ... my memory is non existant...

My top 3 colours would be Mushroom, Olive green, coffee and cream....

An idea for you , i did this for my internal rooms... as in the end we built using bradstone... i got an end roll of newspaper paper from the local paper and got sample pots of the paints we liked and painted long pieces of paper with various colours and shades and stuck them onto the walls... why not try that and tape them up on the outside wall and go from there.... better to waste a few euro to get the right colour than pay hundreds and have to start again.... as believe me sometimes the various books and colour on the tin sometimes dry a totally different colour... especially with Crown... ( i have been there , disappointed that the colour i chose was nowhere like the finished colour , whinged to Crown and got all my money back...

Good luck with your choice....

If you collect a few thousand slugs in the mean time you can paint them all the different colours and stick them to the walls to get a good idea :-)

happy painting
Summersun

minnie pal
21-07-2009, 10:19 AM
next door, to left of pic is a yellow a beautiful yellow actually, and on the other side is a very darkish terracotta.
I know, it can be scary thinking of painting the hoose a colour that you want, I am still with the lilac or no. 2 which i think is a sort of green/blue, it comes up a bit stark in the photo.
I did a tour yesterday and all the houses about 20min away were variations on the theme of white/cream etc.!!!
thanks, will keep going.
xminnie pal

Poppy
21-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Hiya, the olive green or mushroom sound good. They would look much richer and would be great with pots full of coloured plants.

unapam
21-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Definitely green! Your house is gorgeous!

colmsmum
21-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Congrats on the new cottage, it really is beautiful and good luck with whatever you decide.

Personally I'd go with green too. I love these houses. I think the colours are fab together and that sage green is just gorgeous (in my opinion!).

summersun
21-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Lovely homes Columsmum... i agree with the sage colour... it stands out the most and looks beautiful....

Poor Minniepal.... you have a hard decision to make .... the top 3 colours might have to go into a hat...

Summersun

Congrats on the new cottage, it really is beautiful and good luck with whatever you decide.

Personally I'd go with green too. I love these houses. I think the colours are fab together and that sage green is just gorgeous (in my opinion!).

Poppy
21-07-2009, 03:41 PM
love the sage colour, that would be gorgeous on your very cute house. You will have to post a pic and show us when you have painted it whatevery colour you decide.

minnie pal
21-07-2009, 08:26 PM
It brill, to look at like this, long way from adapted van (that da bad), its weeny (ugly and bad), neighbours BRILL, garden though all concrete BRILL, no townie pigeons, chicken legs on street plus peoples dinners, Good, but, this is supposed to be for a disabled person, think about it, no point to power up scooter, van miles away from hoose, if i have to be permenantly in a wheelchair i will have to move as it is not suitable.
County Hall and disab people and lack of knowledge realise NOW, 'they rightly cocked this one up!!!!" but when i see the chis run on the grass in the communal area, my neighbours are so nice and the garden potential its great, when you cant swing a cat inside and it will be small in winter, well...you have to sacrifice, just i didnt think all my physio equipment would end in a barn down at my sisters place!!!
xxxxminnie pal.
I knwo though it will be home and i will only leave in a box, eco of course.

minnie pal
22-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Yes, i like the sage, gonna email friend who did this trick on me hoose and ask for the pantone ref numbers so i can look again more closely.
Keep going with da voting. xxxann

Mickey
22-07-2009, 02:04 PM
My vote is for sage - it'll stand out against the two houses either side but it will also work together in quite a complimentary fashion, with a nice bright white for all your trimmings and flower boxes with splashes of colour throughout the seasons....

Rebelliz
22-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi Minnie,

I painted our house (the walls are dashed) white and all the trim red (as I call it 'Cork' red). Even my husband, who is a die-hard Tipperary supporter likes it!

However, I don't think that colour scheme would work in this situation.

I have to agree with Mickey. A sage green for the walls with bright white trim on the window ledges and door would be lovely. It would bridge the gap between your neighbours' house colours, too.

Good luck & happy painting!

Rebelliz

minnie pal
22-07-2009, 08:25 PM
most of the 'votes' are for sage, do you mean the second pic. I still havent asked my friend the pantone number but it looks very very like we are nearing a decision time!!!!
sage is a furlong ahead...!
minnie pal

Bunty
22-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Yes Yes, Minnie pal, The Green is GOOD; Start Painting. Please share the finished job with us. Regards, B.

summersun
22-07-2009, 09:08 PM
NO Minnie..... Sage is not the 2nd green in your pics but the green in the picture of the houses that colmsmum put up for you...

Crown do a lovely sage green ,

Summersun

bluecurlygirl
22-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Oh yeah, sage definitely. It'd look so gorgeous on your house honey.

thedog
22-07-2009, 09:25 PM
hi there, seen your colours, why dont you try a baby pink? or i painted my house a coral ivy (cream tint of orange) and a warm amber (orange). its lovely. stands out the best!! im so proud of it!! bright and jeerful.

minnie pal
22-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Yes, I agree that the houses summersun sent with the sage on the far right house was an amazing colour, and i honed in on it straight away.
MYDOG, the house beside is VERY terracotta, so i think your suggestion is out, though it does sound nice. thanks to both, i am clearer now what you are all suggesting, silly ME!!
minnie pal.

colmsmum
22-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Minnepal it was actually me who posted the pic of the 3 houses, one being the sage green. Pm me if you want the link to look at the others on the website, they are fab and might give you other ideas, that pic was just closest to the colour of your neighbours houses you described.

buzzbee
26-07-2009, 02:00 PM
i think if you dont mind me saying so is without making all three clashing, how about you make your walls neutrel color like white and emphaising a different color gloss paint for your porch wood and windows and doors which would with acessories for your plants to hang them around the house wall letting the plant surprise you of their flower color my neighbour show me this idea when she painted her wall white and planted a lavendar plant which made a big difference the viberant lavendar blooms made a picture site,you seem to have quite a collection which could be made use of to brighten up and bring notice to your home without a costly bill

minnie pal
26-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I like your idea very much, but wonderin...this is social housing, that is it belongs to the council. I cannot do too drastic a change, i cannot make it too sticky out or the neighbours might get a shock!
agreed....alot of my planting now will have to be very low maintenance. I would like climbers around the house rather than baskets on those two pillars, which are actually metal!
I love the idea of climbers, say wisteria, clematis, geraniums etc.
I love delicate scents and colour as you enter your home.
Very difficult to decide, for this is the first time ever i have complete choice to a large extent.
so much has to be considered.
any climbers i have HAVE to be good in winter too, that is a draw back, and also it does not get a great deal of sun there either.
xxand thanks
minnie pal

minnie pal
07-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone, the paint is b ought!!!!

Its sage, I could not find an already mixed sage so had it made up in a reputable shop. It looks kinda pale, but the guy told me how to paint it, very thin layers and building up.

I went to wash the white porch but nope, I tell you the spirit is willing but not da body.

Now i have to sort who will do the B...painting!
It was a great idea to ask ye all, I am pleased with the colour i chose, just hope it wont be TOO pale.
xminnie pal.

bluecurlygirl
08-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Have a painting party of sorts - provide the tea and biccies. Anyone willing to attend? I'd love to head down and give you a hand but no possible at the mo sorry.

Thinking of ya. Mind yourself.

xx

minnie pal
27-08-2009, 06:35 PM
my hoose is painted 'nearly sage' it looked darker on the swatch. I am a bit disappointed, as it just has a 'blush' of sage, tis very pale.
would a second coat make a difference do you thinK?
it is nice but as the undercoat colour already on the wall was a 'gone off white' it might have influenced the final colour, the sage and he put on one layer.
any ideas.
the door is going to be pale too i think, no point really putting a shocking contrast and thought of pale lilac.
it will give a cottagey feel i think.
all opinions welcome and i hope to post an image shortly.
watch this space....
xminnie pal

UPDATE - 30/8/09: Photos uploaded

summersun
27-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi MinnieP,

Please upload a new picture of the house... cant wait to see what it looks like...

summersun

minnie pal
30-08-2009, 11:48 PM
hi there well here really, the place received the licking and the door still only has undercoat.
look forward to opinion of the results. i am thrilled.
xminnie pal

thanks to eveyne for pointing me in the right direction.

Bunty
30-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Minnie Pal,
This is 'Fairy Tale' stuff, really stunning; v well done!!
Regards, B.

Mickey
31-08-2009, 10:28 AM
That's really lovely minniepal :o), you're right the sage I was thinking of is a little darker and even warmer than this one but I think the fact that the light is perpetual on this is also a factor. Maybe another coat would deepen it but that still doesn't diminish the fact that the hoose looks bootiful. VERY well done - that's a LOT of hard work there :O) - be very chuffed with yourself :o).

sparkwell
31-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Hi Minnie Pal

Your house looks as pretty as a picture and very welcoming well done!

Sparkwell

Poppy
31-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Its lovely, turned out really well.

minnie pal
31-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Maybe i should call the cottege that!
Nope Mickey, you are right, i didnt envisage this wishy washy. Yes, i was thrilled but more and more feel it needs punch.
my polish helper says the same, they go in for colours and she said,
"no, no" door, "yes, yes"
well i got out the swatches again, it will be this colour but as micko says,
richer and slightly darker.
xxminnie pal

summersun
31-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Hi Minnie P....

Ready for my verdict... I have to tell the truth ... cant lie .... I love the green... it looks very calming, beautiful and peaceful .... and i hope you have many happy contented years in this home...

BUT .... I dont like the door ... Sorry :-( it in my own opinion and only mine it just dosent do justice to the lovely green... BUT what i dont like millions of others WILL ... we are all different ,,, and you are the one who has to live with it at the end of the day ... as long as you are happy :-)

I love the flowers either side of the front door ....

Minnie P.... how are the slugs these days ???? mine have all but disappeaered... and that's not for the want of skewering them and dropping them into a chimena.... but all the rain we have had !!!!

have you any ants in your garden??? I have been looking all day in my garden for ants... and cant find one... I bought an ant farm for the kiddies and cant find one to put in it.... Typical ....

Take care MP ... Summersun

minnie pal
31-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi,
I LOVE the door! the local kids call it 'deadly' that is the whole colour scheme, the next door neighbour said its fab.
Polish PA, loves the door and thinks the green is wishy washy.

NOW...self...i LOVE da door!!! Tis a lovely site coming up the drive on the scooter, if i manage to get that through the gate without taking the sides off of it and shopping held high, if doesnt fit on platform under me knees!

It just shows you how doctors differ and patients die eh?
even with illness everyone goes for a second opinion.

Just managed to send copies of the article in 'Irish Gardens' sept ed as my patio has been designed there, managed to scan em, first in b/w and then send in colour, thats a first for me!!!

Now chosen the feature wallpaper for the bedroom and also the kitchen with the help of my polish PA.
she is young and i think we both have the same tastes.

Colour rules!!!!
Do you think it might be a tad bit WET for the ole ants (aunts too) at present?
Slugs, diddo, not so much in abundance, lot of chihuahua **** though!
xxminnie pal

summersun
31-08-2009, 10:44 PM
MP .... "A tad bit wet??????" No no no no no not down here in Clones ... its more like a squelshy bog or a muddy swimmimg pool .... but now the kiddies are back in school from tomorrow.... SUMMER IS COMING .... if not i am jumping on the band wagon and changing my name to rainy... and if the sun dosent come at least i know that Christmas will definately be here in 115 days... YIPPEE...

One of these days minnie , i am going to meet up with you ... your humour and wit cheer me up no end ...

night .... have to get up early again... feels like it should only be the end of July..

Summersun xx

minnie pal
14-09-2009, 02:06 AM
whether my appearance in the cul de sac did it or not, whether i painted my hoose did it too i cannot tell, but the two men on either side of me have been beavering away on their 'hooses' the man to the right of me has painted his house too, instead of the dreadful dark terracotta, he went for a slightly darker than mine, powder blue and it looks fab.
now the three wee houses actually look great together.

I am really pleased about the guy wwho painted his house blue. he is not a well man and has neglected himself and his house, but he went and did this, so i am abso0lutely thrilled
xminnie pal