PDA

View Full Version : mosaic on wall

dee1
13-11-2009, 07:49 PM
HI folks,
once again I am asking for advice,A while back I was looking for ideas on a design for doing an outside wall in mosaic in different materials.I was very fortunate to be given a large quantity of coloured glass,my problem now is because it is on a wall will pva bond and grout be strong enough to withstand time, or should i use tile adhesive and grout???NOW I know i can mix colour with the grout,but is it possible to add a paint colour to the tile adhesive anyone able to help me with their wisdom.I fear if I use the tile adhesive as it is it will take away from the look of the glass.

aerosol
13-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi Dee, I would use proper tile adhesive over pva.The prolem with transparent tiles/glass is that the ribs you trowel into the adhesive show through.To avoid this you have to use a trowel with tiny ribs or a solid bed of adhesive of same thickness.

Are you tiling direct to an exterior wall?

Use a good quality waterproof adhesive and grout,dying grout is easy enough,never tried or heard of dying adhesive.

Good luck,don't forget pictures:)

bounci
13-11-2009, 11:19 PM
if you use waterproof adhesive powder instead of ready mixed you can dye it with any waterbased paint, just like the grout powder.

dee1
15-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Thank you both very much for your advice.Yes the mosaic will be on external walls,and yes I hope to be able to post photos,however I dont suppose now is the best time to start,weather wise, so it will now be a new year project,at least I'll have all my preperation done in advance,and gathering all the ideas and hints now will save me a lot of time in the long run.
once again many thanks to you,
Blessed be, and yuletide blessings to you and your's.
dee1.