PDA

View Full Version : soundproofing

mw100860
24-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi everyone, I need to build a reasonably soundproof stud wall to block out the sound of my VERY noisy washing machine. Any hints or tips gratefully received.

Scrabble
24-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi mw100806,
I heard years ago that egg boxes act as a sound barrier.I don't know how true that is. Be nice and cheap (excuse the pun!!) if it is true. I know that we have rockwool in the walls in our house and its NOT sound proof. I would love to know what you eventually use and if it works.
Regards
Scrabble

chucken1
24-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Use 4x2 timber to build the stud wall. leave 18 inches between the centre of each board. Sheet the inside wall where washing machine is with 1 inch plywood or polystyrene backed plaster board. Fill cavity with roof insulation..pack it in tight.. or polystyrene sheets. Sheet "new wall" with plaster board. EDIT>> DONT FORGET TO LEAVE OPENING FOR DOOR!!!!!

Only
24-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Theres a product called "Sound Board" which is specifically made to limit sound. Its a plasterboard type board. We used it upstairs in our house and it's grand but we don't have a noisy washingmachine up there so I don't know how good it is in those circumstances.

elbo
24-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Would sound get out/come in through the ceiling and floor?
Just a thought, after soundproofing walls if the sounds would still be able to come through. Does anyone know.

Only
24-11-2009, 09:31 PM
If the floor is a concrete (not wooden) then the sound shouldn't travel that way. I'm not sure about up though - it probably would do to some extent, esp if its wooden floors upstairs - carpet would muffle it a bit though

jadexoxo12
21-04-2010, 09:00 PM
egg boxes do work, just make sure that they look nice.

Mandolin
29-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I've finally remembered what it's called - Butyl membrane! Apparently it's good for deadening sound and it's the stuff they use to line ponds with so not hard to find, maybe stick it behind the plasterboard if you're re-doing the wall. It was recommended to us by a builder but we didn't bother in the end so I can't vouch for it personally. Might be worth a google though. M.