PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Bag levy + Water Charges

Chris P
22-02-2007, 01:34 AM
PLASTIC BAG LEVY TO BE INCREASED TO 22c FROM 1 JULY NEXT
[Dept of the Environment Press Release (21st Feb 2007)]

The Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, Mr. Dick Roche, T.D., today (21st February '07) announced that the environmental levy on plastic shopping bags would be increased from 15c to 22c per bag with effect from Sunday 1st July 2007.

The plastic bag levy which came into effect on 4th March 2002 had an immediate effect on consumer behaviour – with plastic bag per capita usage decreasing overnight from an estimated 328 bags to just 21. This had an immediate benefit to our environment – with a decrease in excess of 95% in plastic bag litter. Surveys indicated that up to 90% of shoppers used long-life bags in 2003, compared with 36% in 1999.

"It is now five years since the plastic bags levy was introduced and its success in Ireland has attracted considerable international interest with the Irish model being replicated in other countries. We need to ensure that the success story continues into the future. There has been no increase in the levy since its inception and I am anxious to ensure that its impact is not diminished. Income from the levy has been increasing in the recent past and data from levies remitted and population estimates provided by the Central Statistics Office, would indicate that plastic bag usage rose to 30 bags per capita during the course of 2006. I am increasing the levy to the maximum of 22 cent allowable under the existing legislation. I am satisfied that it will have the desired effect in stemming the pattern of increased usage of plastic bags that has been evident", the Minister said.

"As far as the plastic bags levy is concerned "less is more". I will be happier to see a decrease in revenue on account of the increased levy. What I want to see is less use of plastic bags and more use of long life bags", the Minister concluded.

ENDS
------------

Notes:

The 15 cent levy on disposable plastic shopping bags was introduced in Ireland on 4 March 2002. To date the levy has raised €75m. €18.8m was remitted by the Revenue Commissioners in 2006.

It is estimated that the use of disposable plastic shopping bags has been reduced by approx. 90% since its introduction. Prior to its introduction approx. 1.2 billion disposable plastic bags were given away free by retailers.

Prior to the introduction of the levy, the per capita usage of plastic bags was estimated at 328. The levy led to a reduction in per capita usage to 21. In the interim, there has been an increase in the usage of plastic bags. Data from levies remitted and estimates provided by the Central Statistics Office as to population density, would indicate that plastic bag usage rose to 30 bags per capita during 2006.

22 cent is the maximum the levy can be increased to under the existing legislative provisions. The aim of the increase is to reduce per capita usage to the level achieved in 2002 or lower. If this aim is achieved the increased levy will be revenue neutral. Achieving a per capita usage of 21 will increase revenue by only an additional €½ to €¾ million, whereas achieving a per capita usage of 20 will decrease revenue by a similar amount.

All plastic Bag Levy receipts together with Landfill Levy receipts are paid into a ring fenced "Environment Fund". To date, the Fund has been used to support –

o The provision of civic recycling facilities and bring centres

o Operational costs of running civic recycling facilities

o Enforcement of the Waste Management Acts

o North / south waste initiatives such as the award winning all-island scheme for the Management of waste fridges and freezers.

o Waste awareness campaigns and

o A very successful "Green Schools" initiative.

---------------------------
Source:
http://www.environ.ie/doei/doeihome.nsf/0/8E54A3FBF52DA082802572890074215B
Remember this?

garrazzaband
09-10-2009, 11:06 PM
PLASTIC BAG LEVY TO BE INCREASED TO 22c FROM 1 JULY NEXT
[Dept of the Environment Press Release (21st Feb 2007)]

The Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, Mr. Dick Roche, T.D., today (21st February '07) announced that the environmental levy on plastic shopping bags would be increased from 15c to 22c per bag with effect from Sunday 1st July 2007.

The plastic bag levy which came into effect on 4th March 2002 had an immediate effect on consumer behaviour – with plastic bag per capita usage decreasing overnight from an estimated 328 bags to just 21. This had an immediate benefit to our environment – with a decrease in excess of 95% in plastic bag litter. Surveys indicated that up to 90% of shoppers used long-life bags in 2003, compared with 36% in 1999.

"It is now five years since the plastic bags levy was introduced and its success in Ireland has attracted considerable international interest with the Irish model being replicated in other countries. We need to ensure that the success story continues into the future. There has been no increase in the levy since its inception and I am anxious to ensure that its impact is not diminished. Income from the levy has been increasing in the recent past and data from levies remitted and population estimates provided by the Central Statistics Office, would indicate that plastic bag usage rose to 30 bags per capita during the course of 2006. I am increasing the levy to the maximum of 22 cent allowable under the existing legislation. I am satisfied that it will have the desired effect in stemming the pattern of increased usage of plastic bags that has been evident", the Minister said.

"As far as the plastic bags levy is concerned "less is more". I will be happier to see a decrease in revenue on account of the increased levy. What I want to see is less use of plastic bags and more use of long life bags", the Minister concluded.

ENDS
------------

Notes:

The 15 cent levy on disposable plastic shopping bags was introduced in Ireland on 4 March 2002. To date the levy has raised €75m. €18.8m was remitted by the Revenue Commissioners in 2006.

It is estimated that the use of disposable plastic shopping bags has been reduced by approx. 90% since its introduction. Prior to its introduction approx. 1.2 billion disposable plastic bags were given away free by retailers.

Prior to the introduction of the levy, the per capita usage of plastic bags was estimated at 328. The levy led to a reduction in per capita usage to 21. In the interim, there has been an increase in the usage of plastic bags. Data from levies remitted and estimates provided by the Central Statistics Office as to population density, would indicate that plastic bag usage rose to 30 bags per capita during 2006.

22 cent is the maximum the levy can be increased to under the existing legislative provisions. The aim of the increase is to reduce per capita usage to the level achieved in 2002 or lower. If this aim is achieved the increased levy will be revenue neutral. Achieving a per capita usage of 21 will increase revenue by only an additional €½ to €¾ million, whereas achieving a per capita usage of 20 will decrease revenue by a similar amount.

All plastic Bag Levy receipts together with Landfill Levy receipts are paid into a ring fenced "Environment Fund". To date, the Fund has been used to support –

o The provision of civic recycling facilities and bring centres

o Operational costs of running civic recycling facilities

o Enforcement of the Waste Management Acts

o North / south waste initiatives such as the award winning all-island scheme for the Management of waste fridges and freezers.

o Waste awareness campaigns and

o A very successful "Green Schools" initiative.

Source:
http://www.environ.ie/doei/doeihome.nsf/0/8E54A3FBF52DA082802572890074215B
Remember this?

Although I agree with trying to recycle , I was trying to recycle 20years ago ,i do feel that the public has been taken for a ride where charges are concerned. when recycling was introduced I knew then that charges would spiral out of control. At the time it all started most people will have thought 'oh this is great,if their going to use this stuff again it's going to be cheap to dispose of' . the powers that be didn't tell us that it was going to be more expensive - don't tell me that they didn't know!. And they all seem to be soooooo surprised when people illegally dump. I don't agree with it, but do understand it.

garrazzaband
23-04-2010, 09:30 AM
A year and a half later I still feel the same way. Strange to see I am on my own..very lonely out here .lol
I do miss those bags, I always reused them to the full. They were perfect for ashes from coal fire but not worth 22c for the privalage.
What they could have done is given an allownace of say 20bags per year per per person and then pay.

It all still gets to me. Recycle, recycle. Pay more pay more for the privilage!
Still, 'twas a great piece of social engineering. Shame they cant dream up something as efective to tackle anti social behaviour.

Not long now before they smack you all with those water charges.
All the bloody rain in Ireland and they cant store it till we need it. Jesus, this isnt the bloody Nevada desert!!!

Rant over, Good morning.

Gormal
23-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Well I agree with the plastic bag levy. But then I use fabric shoppers, but do carry a plastic bag in my bag for emergencies...lol

I watched a vet program last month where the vet had to open up a cows stomach to remove a load of plastic, and there was kilos of the stuff... gross. The animal was concious all the way through.

Personally I think they should target big businesses to reduce their packaging. Look at the supermarkets for example. Thank goodness for the bottle banks that saves me putting the bin out every month.

Merienne
23-04-2010, 11:22 AM
I just wonder why the plastic bags you get in Dunnes, Tesco etc have to be of such poor quality. More often then not, they break after one use. I don't mind paying if they can be used more than once, and then used as bin bags. It's annoys the .... out of me when I have to throw a bag out straight after coming home from the shop- it's so wasteful. Even if you use long-life bags, it's easy to forget them when you are just nipping in after work for a few things.
Being environmentally friendly should always be as easy as possible- recycling centres should be free, and there should be containers for batteries, glass and cans at every larger shop.
Where I'm from you pay a levy for cans and plastic soft drink bottles when you buy them, and then you get it back when you return the empty ones to the shop. Almost every shop has automated machines- works a treat.

Belarus
23-04-2010, 11:52 AM
A year and a half later I still feel the same way. Strange to see I am on my own..very lonely out here .lol
I do miss those bags, I always reused them to the full. They were perfect for ashes from coal fire but not worth 22c for the privalage.
What they could have done is given an allownace of say 20bags per year per per person and then pay.

It all still gets to me. Recycle, recycle. Pay more pay more for the privilage!
Still, 'twas a great piece of social engineering. Shame they cant dream up something as efective to tackle anti social behaviour.

Not long now before they smack you all with those water charges.
All the bloody rain in Ireland and they cant store it till we need it. Jesus, this isnt the bloody Nevada desert!!!

Rant over, Good morning.

Good afternoon everybody. I agree with you Garrazzaband a thousand per cent on all these plastic bag charges. I will not go on the rant about it as it would just go on forever.
But now to my big crib of the day - WATER CHARGES. Yes they should be able to store it My God we are not short of rainwater in this country. My big one is are they going to charge those poor fools - ME - for having our own well and our own water supply. After all they do not own the water or in any way contribute to me having my own supply. Living in the country we do not have public lighting, water scheme, sewage or bus service. Should we require to use a bus we need to travel nearly five miles to get to the nearest bus which travels once a day each way so you must stay in town all day or find your own way home. My BIG ONE IS THE WATER CHARGE AND I AM WAITING PATIENTLY TO SEE WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. DOES ANYBODY ELSE FEEL STRONLY ABOUT BEING CHARGED WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR OWN SUPPLY PROVIDED BY YOURSELF AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE.

Mandolin
23-04-2010, 12:02 PM
I certainly do feel strongly that they will charge us even if we supply water at our own expense. It's outrageous, I was planning to get a rainwater harvesting system but not if I have to pay twice. There has to be some way for us to refuse to pay-I feel like a first class sucker they way we keep having to foot the bill for everything. It's not right. I'm fed up now!

Pepperpixie
23-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Are people with their own well gonna be charged???? That's mad on what grounds??? I didn't get anything towards the cost of my well, and don't get anything towards the cost of the purifier i had added afterwards either, i thought this charge would only apply to people on a mains supply?????

Gormal
23-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Private wells will not be liable for any water charges. you can read it at http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/water-services/water_charges

Belarus
23-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Private wells will not be liable for any water charges. you can read it at http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/water-services/water_charges

Thanks Gormal. That is good news. I listened to a debate on the radio during the week concerning water charges and nobody on the panel could confirm whether or not people with private wells would have to pay. Thanks for sharing.

Pepperpixie
23-04-2010, 08:58 PM
phew, thanks for that Gormal