PDA

View Full Version : Repurposed Pillowcase & Duvet Cover ...More Photos Added

unapam
02-05-2010, 04:38 PM
A while ago Eibhlin Ni Sheambrai gave me some fabric and sewing supplies, I finally got abound to making something from them and here it is Eibhlin. I promised a before and after.
It is the first garment I have ever made and am so pleased with it.
Now all I need is a grandchild to wear it.

Thanks Eibhlin!...Unapam
UPDATE:
Delighted with the way that one turned out I had a go at making a Pillowcase Dress - a dress made from an old pillowcase. Here are the before and afters of that. It was even easier than the last one!

UPDATE: I have just made another pillowcase dress- a blue gingham one for Daisy77's little girl. She has a wanted ad for girly clothes age 3-ish. It only took half an hour to do! Will update with final pics when I have finished it. No pillowcase is safe!

Here is the link to a tutorial on Youtube with instructions to make one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtuGUB-jsH8

UPDATE: Someone suggested I make an adults dress from a duvet cover...so I did! It's a wrap around one, I found the pattern in one of my sewing books and I had some fabricleft over to make the rosettes, I added vintage buttons and a broken necklace to decorate them.

Update: The next piece was made from the lining of a presentation box a gift came in. It was way too lovely to throw out. I decided to make a large gold daffodil to be worn as a hat embellishment, or brooch or even as a fascinator headpiece. Ohhh, could also be a wrist corsage, or handbag embellishment.

sparkwell
02-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Ah that is the cutest little dress Unapam well done!

Linn
02-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Oh wow thats fab, pity it wouldnt fit my Gracie as then you could be her unoffical Grandmother lol.

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
03-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Hi Unapam, that is lovely--so pretty with the ribbon trimmings. Glad you could use it so beautifully. eibh.

junkista
03-05-2010, 07:44 AM
A while ago Eibhlin Ni Sheambrai gave me some fabric and sewing supplies, I finally got abound to making something from them and here it is Eibhlin. I promised a before and after.

Thanks Eibhlin!...Unapam
UPDATE:
Delighted with the way that one turned out I had a go at making a Pillowcase Dress - a dress made from an old pillowcase. Here are the before and afters of that. It was even easier than the last one!

they are fantastic! i love the pillowcase idea..invented by your good self or did you follow a pattern for cutting sleeves and neck? so for a grown up one would use a single quilt cover? or king size maybe!! lol
junkista

unapam
03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
they are fantastic! i love the pillowcase idea..invented by your good self or did you follow a pattern for cutting sleeves and neck? so for a grown up one would use a single quilt cover? or king size maybe!! lol
junkista

Hi Junkista, I just cut a curve for one armhole and then used that as a template to cut the other one so they would be the same. I then cut along the top,closed end of pcase, made two tunnels for the ribbons to run through and then cut off the envelopse piece at end and hemmed it. Very simple.
There are lots of pillowcase patterns on the net and this little sundress can fit a range of ages as it is worn baggy and is so comfy and cool for summer.

Yeah, I was thinking of making the grown up version for myself using a duvet cover! But I think this would turn out as a mumu dress. Cheers..Pam

Gormal
03-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Oh Unampam they are absolutely adorable!!

chucken1
05-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Absolutely beautiful. You are so gifted.

carlovian
05-05-2010, 08:22 PM
absolutely fantastic and so cute :)

al30
05-05-2010, 08:24 PM
its brilliant, well done, makes you think what you can do with a pillow case

Rachelirl
06-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks Eibhlin!...Unapam
UPDATE:

UPDATE: I have just made another pillowcase dress- a blue gingham one for Daisy77's little girl. She has a wanted ad for girly clothes age 3-ish. It only took half an hour to do! Will update with final pics when I have finished it. Er, no pillowcase is safe!

Wow! they are absolutely fab, sooo cute! what a fantastic idea. Well done you!

doer upper
10-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Folks, I never heard of a pillowcase dress before . I have three little granddaughters and twins on the way. I would love to know how to make them as I just got a sewing machine and have just retired.I would appreciate the instructions.
Thanks.
Mary

unapam
10-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Folks, I never heard of a pillowcase dress before . I have three little granddaughters and twins on the way. I would love to know how to make them as I just got a sewing machine and have just retired.I would appreciate the instructions.
Thanks.
Mary

Hi, It is very easy to turn a pillowcase into a dress. See the instructions I put in in an earlier post on this thread. Also there are lots of these instructions and tutorials on line.
Here is a link to one on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtuGUB-jsH8

doer upper
10-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Thank you , Unapam. Excited at the prospect of making this.
Mary

64zx12
10-05-2010, 09:18 PM
omg your dresses r beautiful im diff going 2 try 2 make some dont think they will look as good as yours but GOD loves a try r

Mandolin
11-05-2010, 03:46 PM
You have such a lovely knack with ribbons and bows - I can't believe it's your first garment with all the other lovely stuff you've made. Thanks for all the great ideas!

unapam
11-05-2010, 05:37 PM
You have such a lovely knack with ribbons and bows - I can't believe it's your first garment with all the other lovely stuff you've made. Thanks for all the great ideas!
Thanks so much for all the kind comments. I am just branching out to garments now. No harder than small items and I am awash with cushion covers!

Gormal
12-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Well I have to say I watched the YouTube vid and wasn't all that impressed, however unapam your creations were very inspiring and way nicer than the demo..... :O)

MisseM
12-05-2010, 08:32 PM
OMG, soo georgous. well done! i wish i could make one myself..

elbo
12-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Unapam, the dress is just gorgeous. You are so gifted.

unapam
16-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion of using a duvet cover to make a long dress. It worked.

Gormal
16-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Great dress for the summer. Love the idea. Have a similar plan for a sheet and curtain fabric as a top or dress...

unapam
16-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Great dress for the summer. Love the idea. Have a similar plan for a sheet and curtain fabric as a top or dress...

Sounds great. You will share the photos - right?

junkista
17-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Hi Junkista, I just cut a curve for one armhole and then used that as a template to cut the other one so they would be the same. I then cut along the top,closed end of pcase, made two tunnels for the ribbons to run through and then cut off the envelopse piece at end and hemmed it. Very simple.
There are lots of pillowcase patterns on the net and this little sundress can fit a range of ages as it is worn baggy and is so comfy and cool for summer.

Yeah, I was thinking of making the grown up version for myself using a duvet cover! But I think this would turn out as a mumu dress. Cheers..Pam

hi unapam,
the dress is really great and you made it from a duvet!!! its fantastic! far from a mumu!! well done.
junkista

unapam
17-05-2010, 01:14 PM
I just got this great book and it is choc full of ideas for repurposing (even I need inspiration) It has the pillowcase dress in it of course. I will be trying out some of the projects soon.

I got it at a much discounted price and free shipping from the book depository or you could request it at your local library. I read recently that sales of sewing machines have shot up since beginning of recession. They sure get snapped up quickly on here!

I am working on a piece of satin I salvaged from a presentation box I got a gift in at Christmas. I will be doing a B&A on it of course. Update: the photos have now been added at top of this thread.

Mandolin
17-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Great thread, loving all these brilliant ideas.
What about curtains for re-purposing? I used to have a jacket made from a gorgeous brocade curtain, (from Damascus in Temple Bar years ago, all their stuff was made from duvet covers, tablecloths and curtains). There you go Unapam, there'll be no stopping you now. I do think it's the clever little flourishes you do that really finish it off though. Lovely! M.

unapam
17-05-2010, 07:20 PM
I have added pics of the piece of satin lining now repurposed.

jessy8754
18-05-2010, 03:07 PM
omg those dresses are just to die for... What a fantastic talent u have.. Well done... They put a smile on my face when I saw them... Keep up the great work.. I'd say there would be a business opportunity out there for you...I dont have a machine & can't sew a button but I'm def. going to give it a try... x

unapam
18-05-2010, 03:55 PM
omg those dresses are just to die for... What a fantastic talent u have.. Well done... They put a smile on my face when I saw them... Keep up the great work.. I'd say there would be a business opportunity out there for you...I dont have a machine & can't sew a button but I'm def. going to give it a try... x

Hi, thanks for your kind words. I think you could give it a try. You never know what you can do until you try - right?
I suggest you go for the pillowcase dress as it is the easiest thing EVER for a beginner sewer. Best wishes - unapam

darkell09
11-06-2010, 11:27 PM
After seeing the beautiful dress that you made idecided to have a go too. The e d result wasn't too bad considering!
I'd like to find some prettier material to use as what I
used really did look like pillowcase material :0)
I got some blue gingham today in a charity shop so if it's ok il post the e d result here when it's done? Thanks for the inspiration!

unapam
11-06-2010, 11:34 PM
After seeing the beautiful dress that you made idecided to have a go too. The e d result wasn't too bad considering!
I'd like to find some prettier material to use as what I
used really did look like pillowcase material :0)
I got some blue gingham today in a charity shop so if it's ok il post the e d result here when it's done? Thanks for the inspiration!

Oh please do. I'd love to see it. Blue gingham is my favourite fabric ever. I used it for the curtains in the cottage. Can't wait to see it. Best wishes Pam

darkell09
11-06-2010, 11:39 PM
I was delighted as it's actually blue gingham pillowcases that I picked up today! Need to go and get some pretty ribbon, then il start sewing!