JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Green Tips & Green Fingers (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   advice on home heating oil (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=103466)

Pepperpixie 09-11-2010 11:12 AM

advice on home heating oil

just wondering if anyone can help me out with this, i have been told by one person that if i turn my thermostat down on the boiler and leave the heating on 24/7 that this is more fuel efficient than higher thermostat for shorter bursts of say 3 hours at a time. Have tried looking this up on google but am getting conflicting advice.

magda_ola 09-11-2010 12:36 PM

hi,
we have a tharmostat and that's the best thing ever;
we have it set up for day time and a night time; day time is set for 20 degrees and night time for 16 (I think);
it turn on and off the boiler itself to keep the set tempeature all the time;
so we have very comfortable temp all the time;
we had a timer before but never ever again;

it's much more efficient than turning the heating only for let's say 3 hours;
when the rooms are cold it uses more energy (gas, oil) to heat it up;

and it's a lot better for comfort of living;

does your work to set the temperature or just to turn on or off the heating?

we have the gas heating so it might be difference with oil heating; I'm not an expert; but just to say that over the summer months when we didn't heat at all, just use gas cooker my bill was €24 (used a lot)
I may have a look for the bills for las winter if that'll help;

I hope I helped a bit;

Pepperpixie 09-11-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magda_ola
hi,
we have a tharmostat and that's the best thing ever;
we have it set up for day time and a night time; day time is set for 20 degrees and night time for 16 (I think);
it turn on and off the boiler itself to keep the set tempeature all the time;
so we have very comfortable temp all the time;
we had a timer before but never ever again;

it's much more efficient than turning the heating only for let's say 3 hours;
when the rooms are cold it uses more energy (gas, oil) to heat it up;

and it's a lot better for comfort of living;

does your work to set the temperature or just to turn on or off the heating?

we have the gas heating so it might be difference with oil heating; I'm not an expert; but just to say that over the summer months when we didn't heat at all, just use cooker my bill was €24 (we have a gas cooker as well; used a lot)
I may have a look for the bills for las winter if that'll help;

I hope I helped a bit;

hiya thank you for your reply, our thermostat is outside on the boiler, not sure how it works really and then inside all i have is a timer switch. Problem is i'm a very cold creature so like to have the house @ approx 22 degrees all the time, even if i put on a couple of jumpers i'm still cold if temp below this. I usually have to fill the oil tank twice per year (1300 litre tank), which i suppose is not too bad but i would just like to know if there is a more efficient way of me using the oil.

palminnie1 20-11-2010 09:05 PM

this is so interesting

i consider my bills high.
i am single, on disability and in social housing with only a tiny place to live in.
i do have a timer and was setting it for an on/off situation and i was paying in small bits each week i got the pension.
my heating is by gas central heating.
i have double glaze on all windows but have a warped rotten front door! defeats the purpose.
the guy who serviced the boiler said that it was antiquated, but usable but would less cost efficient so in effect i am paying more for a boiler that is not that effective and a so called upgrated heating service via double glaze when you can see australia viewing from round the door, which isnt hard actually to do!

intransit 21-11-2010 03:32 PM

There are grants available to upgrade your heating system, if your social housing is through a housing association they are obliged to sort your front door.
You could do a quick check check on the internet to see whats available, ive got a link here to start you ohttp://www.keithtighe.com/Government_Grants_for_Disabled.htmlff.

you might as well take advantage of the grants available.
Hope this helps you.

palminnie1 21-11-2010 03:35 PM

house is..

i am in social housing!
yep!
p