JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Before & After (Upcycling) (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Repurposed Pillowcase & Duvet Cover ...More Photos Added (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=88104)

unapam 02-05-2010 04:38 PM

Repurposed Pillowcase & Duvet Cover ...More Photos Added

13 Attachment(s)
A while ago Eibhlin Ni Sheambrai gave me some fabric and sewing supplies, I finally got abound to making something from them and here it is Eibhlin. I promised a before and after.
It is the first garment I have ever made and am so pleased with it.
Now all I need is a grandchild to wear it.

Thanks Eibhlin!...Unapam
UPDATE:
Delighted with the way that one turned out I had a go at making a Pillowcase Dress - a dress made from an old pillowcase. Here are the before and afters of that. It was even easier than the last one!

UPDATE: I have just made another pillowcase dress- a blue gingham one for Daisy77's little girl. She has a wanted ad for girly clothes age 3-ish. It only took half an hour to do! Will update with final pics when I have finished it. No pillowcase is safe!

Here is the link to a tutorial on Youtube with instructions to make one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtuGUB-jsH8

UPDATE: Someone suggested I make an adults dress from a duvet cover...so I did! It's a wrap around one, I found the pattern in one of my sewing books and I had some fabricleft over to make the rosettes, I added vintage buttons and a broken necklace to decorate them.

Update: The next piece was made from the lining of a presentation box a gift came in. It was way too lovely to throw out. I decided to make a large gold daffodil to be worn as a hat embellishment, or brooch or even as a fascinator headpiece. Ohhh, could also be a wrist corsage, or handbag embellishment.

sparkwell 02-05-2010 04:49 PM

Ah that is the cutest little dress Unapam well done!

Linn 02-05-2010 04:53 PM

Oh wow thats fab, pity it wouldnt fit my Gracie as then you could be her unoffical Grandmother lol.

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai 03-05-2010 07:04 AM

dress

Hi Unapam, that is lovely--so pretty with the ribbon trimmings. Glad you could use it so beautifully. eibh.

junkista 03-05-2010 07:44 AM

so lovely!

Quote:

Originally Posted by unapam
A while ago Eibhlin Ni Sheambrai gave me some fabric and sewing supplies, I finally got abound to making something from them and here it is Eibhlin. I promised a before and after.

Thanks Eibhlin!...Unapam
UPDATE:
Delighted with the way that one turned out I had a go at making a Pillowcase Dress - a dress made from an old pillowcase. Here are the before and afters of that. It was even easier than the last one!

they are fantastic! i love the pillowcase idea..invented by your good self or did you follow a pattern for cutting sleeves and neck? so for a grown up one would use a single quilt cover? or king size maybe!! lol
junkista

unapam 03-05-2010 12:02 PM

dress

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkista
they are fantastic! i love the pillowcase idea..invented by your good self or did you follow a pattern for cutting sleeves and neck? so for a grown up one would use a single quilt cover? or king size maybe!! lol
junkista

Hi Junkista, I just cut a curve for one armhole and then used that as a template to cut the other one so they would be the same. I then cut along the top,closed end of pcase, made two tunnels for the ribbons to run through and then cut off the envelopse piece at end and hemmed it. Very simple.
There are lots of pillowcase patterns on the net and this little sundress can fit a range of ages as it is worn baggy and is so comfy and cool for summer.

Yeah, I was thinking of making the grown up version for myself using a duvet cover! But I think this would turn out as a mumu dress. Cheers..Pam

Gormal 03-05-2010 02:18 PM

Oh Unampam they are absolutely adorable!!

chucken1 05-05-2010 07:50 PM

Absolutely beautiful. You are so gifted.

carlovian 05-05-2010 08:22 PM

absolutely fantastic and so cute :)

al30 05-05-2010 08:24 PM

pillow dress

its brilliant, well done, makes you think what you can do with a pillow case

Rachelirl 06-05-2010 03:53 PM

Little Dresses

Quote:

Originally Posted by unapam

Thanks Eibhlin!...Unapam
UPDATE:

UPDATE: I have just made another pillowcase dress- a blue gingham one for Daisy77's little girl. She has a wanted ad for girly clothes age 3-ish. It only took half an hour to do! Will update with final pics when I have finished it. Er, no pillowcase is safe!

Wow! they are absolutely fab, sooo cute! what a fantastic idea. Well done you!

doer upper 10-05-2010 07:07 PM

Folks, I never heard of a pillowcase dress before . I have three little granddaughters and twins on the way. I would love to know how to make them as I just got a sewing machine and have just retired.I would appreciate the instructions.
Thanks.
Mary

unapam 10-05-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doer upper
Folks, I never heard of a pillowcase dress before . I have three little granddaughters and twins on the way. I would love to know how to make them as I just got a sewing machine and have just retired.I would appreciate the instructions.
Thanks.
Mary

Hi, It is very easy to turn a pillowcase into a dress. See the instructions I put in in an earlier post on this thread. Also there are lots of these instructions and tutorials on line.
Here is a link to one on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtuGUB-jsH8

doer upper 10-05-2010 08:03 PM

Thank you , Unapam. Excited at the prospect of making this.
Mary

64zx12 10-05-2010 09:18 PM

dresses

omg your dresses r beautiful im diff going 2 try 2 make some dont think they will look as good as yours but GOD loves a try r