JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Before & After (Upcycling) (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Repurposed: Roof Tiles -- Flower-bed Borders (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=32803)

Sky 09-09-2008 12:01 AM

Repurposed: Roof Tiles -- Flower-bed Borders

4 Attachment(s)
Just thought I would like to share an idea we came up with last year when we were left with a lot of old roof tiles after a DIY job. The garden was a mess so we marked out new raised flower beds and used the tiles, overlapping at the sides and sunk about a third of their height, as a front (hubby's idea). We also used old builders blocks behind the tiles (but only coming half-way up) to support them and take the weight of the soil so they would not be pushed out. The blocks were then covered with about 3" of soil so are completely invisible.
The garden is now beginning to take shape though we still have a lot to do. The next "project"? --- A Veggie patch of course!! I have already started this by growing some sprouted spuds which I found in the bottom of the sack and they are doing great. But hold on, something tells me a flower pot doesn't quite qualify as a veggie patch!

unapam 09-09-2008 12:46 AM

veggie patch

It may not be a fully fledged veggie patch but ...it's a start! Great Idea for the roof tiles. I bet they look great.
You can grow strawberries easily in plant pots. I did it by accident this year. My neighbour gave me some last year and I forgot all about them. But they grew and were delicious!

Ocker 09-09-2008 07:45 AM

I made a 5 star chook house out of old spare tiles with a simple A frame. The chooks thanked me every day with delicious fresh eggs. They're now talking about an extra bathroom !

sponge 09-09-2008 11:18 AM

Hi Guys, Iwonder if you have any photos of your ridge tile flower beds and chook house. I too have a lot of these left over from an extension and your ideas sound great. many thanks
Sponge

Bettybooboopbedoop 09-09-2008 12:52 PM

I'm the same, would love to see a picture of the bed. I'm doing a bed at the end of the garden at the moment, should say hubby is.

Sky 09-09-2008 01:33 PM

Roof Tile Photos

I sent photos in at the same time as I put up this post but I wonder if they got "lost in space". I will resend later if they do not appear by then.

Chris P 09-09-2008 02:09 PM

from Admin

Hi Sky,

Photos added at last. For some reason or another they just wouldn't reduce in size in the normal way. Anyway...they're up now.

Great use of those tiles as a garden border!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

sponge 09-09-2008 02:28 PM

The photos are cool, thanks so much, now to get on with the hard work of doing it my own garden!!
Sponge

Bettybooboopbedoop 09-09-2008 03:13 PM

looks great - Well Done

This looks great. Puts a lovely finish on the bed and the tiles will age gracefully. Lovely idea.

Sky 09-09-2008 03:47 PM

Thanks everyone

Thanks Chris and everyone for all the nice comments, As Betty says the tiles will age and in time blend in with the surroundings and start to look as if they "grew there".

kilk 09-09-2008 03:49 PM

is it hard to mow the lawn SKY with all the tile curves?

Sky 09-09-2008 07:33 PM

Yes Kilk,
Sometimes it can be a bit of a problem. On hindsight it might have been a good idea to put a small amount of cement, only an inch or two, tight into the curves to stop anything growing. Has anyone else got a better suggestion?

Mickey 09-09-2008 07:41 PM

Strimmer?

Bettybooboopbedoop 09-09-2008 07:53 PM

strimmer

that would do it alright.

WaterRose 10-09-2008 11:17 PM

Ann,
great idea!!!
You garden is nice.