JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Before & After (Upcycling) (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Refurbishing an Old Cottage - last update Dec 2012 (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=78228)

tudlytops 26-01-2010 09:53 PM

Refurbishing an Old Cottage - last update Dec 2012

1 Attachment(s)
Hi! All

The cottage as come a long way, but is a long way from finished, the main jobs still outstanding.

Long hallway.

Bedroom nr 2, there is no celling or floor in this bedroom as water was getting in through the roof.

The heating and hot water.

The outside pipping as some of it was broken by roots.

Flooring through out.

Gathering.

House needs to be painted.

And the porch had to be knocked down as it was pulling at the cottage walls, leaving the from of the house with holes, where the brick of the porch join the house.

Will be updating here and adding pictures as we go along.

If you have anything we can use or advice, please click on link to our wanted thread, thanks

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/show...849#post554849

We started with the drive and the area around the cottage as it was very bad and inaccessible.

We have now received with many many thanks:).

Cole - Kitchen
Another site - Kitchen taps
Various people - Loads of advice
IrishHomer - Bath
familyguy - Flooring, Loads of Tiles, Window & TV Ariel
Pallasbull - Doors, sky dish and items of furniture
Biker Chick - Bread maker and PS1
Angelina - Shower Doors
Luimneach - Caravan Mattresses
Avril in another site - Coal bunker, carpet, car trailer, fence, etc .
LiamJ - Fireplace
Sean - wheelie bins
Pallasbull - Saw, Paint & more
cluelessjewel - Jewellery box for another project
Chorcai - Antique Suitcase & Fondue
monalitto - Corner bath and taps
Pallasbull - Sick, electric shower, table
martin - Sand, gates and other building materials
monalitto - Mixer taps for the bathroom
mewl81 - Light fitting, sockets, etc
Sean - Sick, Electric work, furniture and much more
tadgher - Shelves
Dannloads - Small fish tank
Dave Hyland - Tiles and Doors
bullg - Doors and other bits and peaces
35Glen - Old school desk
finj - Display cabinet, coffee table and TV.
Bullg - Table saw
delia1 - Table and chairs/table lamp/Windows &doors, etc
Neon-Circles - Wheelie bins
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai - Under sink water heater
murph - Corner sofa
Bob&Tina - Freezer
takeit - Double bed
delia1 - Dog House
oneniall - Shelves
dminihane1 - 2 dark brown arm chairs
kt72 - Lawnmower, paint, net and more
Pallasbull - Paint, paint sprayer, brackets

Thank you all :)

sparkwell 28-01-2010 01:24 PM

cottage refurbishment

Well done Tudlytops its looking good!
We undertook a similar project abroad about 12 years ago now. We had a big field in front of the house so decided to have a long curved drive up to the house (we had another access so it wasn't urgent). We started out by getting a JCB to scrape back the drive and then used all the rubble we had to fill it in. Of course this didn't go nearly far enough and we had to buy stone from the quarry. One morning in the pitch black dark a lorry came to deliver a load at the end of the drive (it all had to be then loaded into the bucket of a tractor to be spread by us afterwards!) and it was only in the daylight I saw that the telephone lines to our neighbours houses had been pulled down by the lorry. The money we saved by doing it ourselves then went on paying for the telephone company to come out and repair the lines nightmare!!
In the beginning it can be a bit disheartening that your money goes on things like the drive and for us a septic tank, rewiring but you have no choice but do these jobs first before the pretty bits. It would have been wonderful to have a Jumbletown equivalent for everything else!!!

Best of luck with the project

Sparkwell

tudlytops 28-01-2010 08:55 PM

Thanks, you poor thing, hope the rest of the restoration went without incident.

The drive isn't finished but it is 100% better then it was and it will do for now as money is short, but we had no way to get up there, so it had to be done, we created a parking area at the front and cleaned up all around the cottage, thank God we didn't have any accidents.

We got a fella with a digger to do a lot of the work, he was very good.

We have to get the electricity and the water going, they the next big jobs.

The septic seems ok, but we just got it uncovered so we still have to have a good look.

And then all the inside aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai 06-02-2010 06:48 PM

cottage renovation

Hi Tuddlytops, just looking at your photos, good luck with the work, we have just finished(are we ever finished?!) a five year renovation projest of an 1830 cottage and barn. You would think I would be sick of it but I would do it all again. This is my third (and last) time to buy an old house in a state of total neglect and turn it into something beautiful. Keep asking for hints and things, will help out in any way I can, Eibh.

tudlytops 06-02-2010 09:07 PM

Thanks Eibh., 1830, must be beautiful and your 3rd one, you must love punishment lol.

No. i don't suppose its ever finished health and money are the hardest to come by for everything else there's Jumble Town.

If you have any advice please sent it our way, all is appreciated.

chucken1 06-02-2010 10:24 PM

Great start guys.We will be watching the story unfold. x

tudlytops 08-02-2010 06:36 PM

Caravan is now up at the cottage

2 Attachment(s)
Soon this little caravan will be home for a while.

can't wait, we already spend a couple of nights up there, can't wait to just move in.

Oh and our fist paper briquette :) we going all green.

tudlytops 08-02-2010 06:41 PM

Kitchen is started

4 Attachment(s)
The work in the kitchen is well under way.

We are making 1 kitchen out of 2, opening up the chimney and placing the cooker and oven in there.

The doors for the 2 kitchens are different but by the time we finished they will look the same and have a country look to them.

1 Kitchen given to us by Cole, thank you
1 given on another site

chucken1 08-02-2010 06:41 PM

Well thats the prettiest little briquette Ive ever seen! LOL. Things are moving on for you now.Bet excitement is high now.

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai 08-02-2010 10:09 PM

kitchen

Hi Tuddlytops, why do I feel such excitement when I look at all the work you have to do? I must be mad,lol. I will try to put up some photos of what we did with our cooker/fireplace. Amazing what an old beam and some old red bricks can do to create atmosphere. Just need to get 'he who knows how' to upload some pics and I'll post them. Best of luck and the days are getting longer. Just think what the summer will be like:) Eibh.

tudlytops 09-02-2010 07:00 PM

If you getting exited you well come to come help any time :)

Do, we haven't quite decided on the end look, just that it is what we want to do with the fire place, so any ideas are welcome.

Yes the days are getting longerrrrrrrr, that means more work, as we took the decision that when it gets dark we stop and come home, it will mean we come home much later, maybe we just stay there more often :)

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai 11-02-2010 12:25 AM

Kitchen

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Tuddlytops, finally worked out how to upload photos. We had to knock down a very badly built kitchen extension that had a very low roof and small windows. The room is new but we like old. I had been cutting out pictures of cookers/mantlepieces and keeping them in a file. A friend of ours built it for us using red bricks that were left on site and the beam was originally over the window of the old kitchen. By the way, this friend is a butcher by trade not a builder but we reckon he did a good job with only a few pictures to look at. Might give you an idea. You could use a railway sleeper as a beam supported on bricks and put your oven and hob inside. Eibh.

tudlytops 11-02-2010 12:30 AM

That is fabulous, thankfully the only thing we have to knock down is the porch, it was built without foundation, i reckon your Butcher friend couldn't have done a better job.

We were thinking of a railway sleeper as well, i think they add a lot of charm.

How do you find cooking with the cooker under there?

Oh and did you put some sort of a filter on the chimney?

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai 11-02-2010 12:46 AM

cooker

Hi there, if you look behind the beam you will see there is an extractor fan which is vented to the outside. We cheated as we didn't actually have a chimney but wanted the look. If you are actually going into the chimney space you would have to close it off like for an aga and maybe install an extractor fan vented up the chimney. E.

tudlytops 11-02-2010 12:53 AM

Now now that's cheating lol.

Yeah we were looking at it, the smoke goes up just fine, we lighted a small fire on the floor to check it out, but the dirt also comes down lol, we were thinking of building some sort of a filter.