JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Before & After (Upcycling) (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Dresser Top (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=34359)

HappyHunter 01-10-2008 12:30 AM

Dresser Top

4 Attachment(s)
I received this dresser from a Jumbletowner, thank you.

The dresser-top was a dark wood and I discovered woodworm, which I treated with Neem Oil. I then used paint stripper to remove the varnish that was on the dresser. It took four days for me to finish the varnish removal. I then sanded and wiped the unit over with white spirits. I used wax on the wood to enhance and preserve the wood.

The plates with the blue rim and the one in the centre on the shelf below were received from jumbletown as was the glass bell, all other items were bought in charity stores or received as gifts.

I have beautiful lace also received from 2 wonderful jumbletowners which I will add to the dresser top in the coming days and take another photo and post it.

The brown unit underneath was also received from jumbletown. The dresser is only temporarily sitting on it until we decide where it will look best.

Thank you to everyone who made this beautiful addition to my home possible.

HH

Chris P 01-10-2008 06:24 AM

from Admin

Evidence of plenty of hard work there, HappyHunter -- splendid job!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

durran 01-10-2008 06:39 AM

Wow thats beautiful well done.

Linn 01-10-2008 08:48 AM

Fabulous job Happy hunter. Its a beautiful piece of furniture.

bluecurlygirl 01-10-2008 09:38 AM

Wow, lot of work and the results are fantastic. Well done.

Tootsie 01-10-2008 09:39 AM

Dresser

Looks fab!

unapam 01-10-2008 07:24 PM

Dresser top

Magnificent! ...and aren't those plates gorgeous? I got some of them too. I have them on my dresser. Well done!

HappyHunter 01-10-2008 07:34 PM

Thanks unapam and everyone, yes Shamrocklady shared the plates among a few of us. They are gorgeous. I am very proud of how the dresser turned out. Now I just have to find time to add the lace :)

Bettybooboopbedoop 01-10-2008 07:50 PM

I don't envy you that sanding job. It turned out fabulous, very natural looking. Perfect with the plates.

lemencass 03-10-2008 09:31 AM

dresser top

I put dresser tops over radiators,mount a shelf over with a supports behind radiator and affix dresser to shelf and wall with L brackets. You could staple gun some fabric on underside of shelf to cover radiator. Great job,I do not have the patience to strip wood,me and the paint that will paint everything are bust buds!!

HappyHunter 03-10-2008 12:37 PM

Hi lemencass, yes I intend to put the unit over a radiator, thanks.

I have come to enjoy stripping (wood ;) ) I do use a chemical paint stripper though, so not sure how eco friendly I am doing that. One should be very careful using chemical paint strippers as they burn the skin and will damage other surfaces if they are spilt. Wear protective gloves and avoid splashing, keep children and pets away from the work area.

I have removed white paint from teak windows and recoated them with wood protector outside, will post a photo of the finished product soon.

I use sanding blocks like these to do the sanding and I find them easier on the fingers and the wood:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...TL._SS500_.jpg

and this is the wax:

http://www.lenehans.ie/lenehans/Imag...ail/228100.jpg

If only I'd known about the wax last year I might have saved myself a load of heartache varnishing skirting boards and door frames.

Also there are some great tools to assist with stripping paint like this shave hook:

http://www.arro.ie/31239.jpg

Also it is advisable to use a lint free cloth or cloths for doing the waxing.

Thanks Mags - It was really easy and I enjoyed doing it.

HappyHunter 06-10-2008 11:01 AM

Hi Joan

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I would love some Nicksers ;)

Unapam sent me some beautiful lace but I never say no to an offer, thank you.

Thanks to the wonderful network of people here on JT and in my circle of friends that obtaining such wonderful items is possible.

I'm not sure if the persons who started JT ever though that starting such a service would provide much needed friendship and restore ones confidence in human nature as well as protecting Mother Nature.

Bless you all

Ronkie 06-10-2008 08:30 PM

What can i say that has not been said, But well done the dresser looks fab,

HappyHunter 06-01-2009 07:10 PM

Just thought I'd sing my own praises here LOL. My sister and her partner were home from UK for a few days. They had seen the dresser top last year before it was restored. Sisters partner does professional restoration and also makes furniture.

When he saw the dresser last year he did not hold out much hope for it because of the woodworm and the state the piece of furniture was in.

Anyway, I never said anything about the dresser top as we sat in the kitchen on Sunday, suddenly he jumped up off his seat and headed towards the dresser. "Is that the thing that was in the shed last year" he said. When I said yes he was totally amazed at what I had done with it. He stood admiring it, feeling the finished work and commenting on how I brought out the grain.

This meant a lot to me to have a professional woodworker praise my work of art :)

Whoohoo

Chris P 06-01-2009 07:21 PM

from Admin

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyHunter
Just thought I'd sing my own praises here LOL. My sister and her partner were home from UK for a few days. They had seen the dresser top last year before it was restored. Sisters partner does professional restoration and also makes furniture.

When he saw the dresser last year he did not hold out much hope for it because of the woodworm and the state the piece of furniture was in.

Anyway, I never said anything about the dresser top as we sat in the kitchen on Sunday, suddenly he jumped up off his seat and headed towards the dresser. "Is that the thing that was in the shed last year" he said. When I said yes he was totally amazed at what I had done with it. He stood admiring it, feeling the finished work and commenting on how I brought out the grain.

This meant a lot to me to have a professional woodworker praise my work of art :)

Whoohoo

Hi Happyhunter,

Many thanks for the feedback on your feedback (if you know what I mean).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that's a dresser to be proud of!

Regards
Chris P
Admin