JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Before & After (Upcycling) (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   telephone table to play kitchen (now with extra storage) (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=130809)

shonastar 13-05-2012 05:39 PM

telephone table to play kitchen (now with extra storage)

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I had been looking for a little cupboard to make a play kitchen for ages, but I couldn't find one small enough to be able to keep it in our kitchen at home. I struck gold the other day when I came across this telephone table. My next door neighbour gave me the tap, metal rings for the cooker, and a 30 yr old toy blender/mixer (which still works perfectly!) I already had the mosaic tiles, little display cabinet and the metal rail. So the only things bought were the metal bowl for the sink and the little timer. Spent a grand total of 3 euro.
I still need to give it a coat of paint and add knobs for the stove, but little miss bossy pants couldn't wait to start playing with it once she saw it coming together. I take full responsability for Masterchef Champion 2030 lol!!

Best regards,
Shonastar

Update..... I uploaded new photos, it's been painted, and storage, shelves and cooker knobs added.
I officially declare this project finished lol! A big, big thank you for the suggestions on how to make it better x

mollie bain 13-05-2012 05:52 PM

great job

melissabell 13-05-2012 09:17 PM

Wow, that's fantastic!!! You're so creative!!! much better and more sturdy than the bought ones ;)

daz38 14-05-2012 08:31 AM

room for an oven n fridge?

LOL, fantastic work, really cute n special, but every "little woman" needs an oven n a fridge, looks like theres loads of room underneath for these,"possible future extension work" u know kids, welll done, margaret x

shonastar 14-05-2012 09:09 AM

Thanks Mollie and Melissa! I could never have justified spending 60+ euro on a plastic kitchen, and although it took ages to find a small enough table to make it work, it was worth the wait when we saw how happy it made our little girl!
Hi Margaret, I love the idea of adding an oven and fridge! I had planned to put shelves underneath for storage but your idea is much better. I managed to give it a coat of paint last night when she was asleep, so it's already looking fresher. Watch this space lol!! x

madfrozen 14-05-2012 09:32 AM

Brilliant!

I love it! Its brilliant! I want one! :-)

I'm sure it will be treasured for many years - and maybe even passed on down the generations! :-)

kljm 14-05-2012 12:58 PM

That is amazing. Well done, treasure your talent.

rubyruby 14-05-2012 03:13 PM

job

What a fantastic job well done you, I love to see things being used for something completely different, and this sure is, great job.....

Jayne402010 14-05-2012 05:38 PM

Wow!!!

Oh Wow!!!
This is so gorgeous and retro and so cool! Love it!! I admire anyone who is into crafting (like myself), it's such a fantastic feeling knowing you have made something that is totally individual!
I bet all her friends will want one just like it!!!
100% better than a plastic one and made with love too. How could you get any better!! You couldn't!
Will keep this idea for when I am blessed with Grandchildren!!!
Thanks for showing it!

shonastar 14-05-2012 05:56 PM

Thank you all so much! Really chuffed with all your kind comments, :-)

TickTock 14-05-2012 11:47 PM

Aww! How cute is that! Well done. Many a little girl/boy would love to play with that.

shonastar 16-05-2012 08:07 AM

I added new photos, this project is officially finished! Not only did my next door neighbour give me the tap, mixer/blender and rings for the stove, she also rooted out the little cupboard for underneath! Eileen, you're a star x

kitty 16-05-2012 09:23 AM

Well done

OMG you have done a wonderful job, well done.

joanmul 16-05-2012 09:57 AM

I think you should declare this a family heirloom for passing on to the next generation!

madfrozen 16-05-2012 12:58 PM

Ps

The "hotplates" look really real! What did you use to make them? It looks even better - if that is possible - with its little additions underneath etc...

Chris P 16-05-2012 02:34 PM

from Admin

A stylish and great example of re-purposing, shonastar.

Well done, and thanks for sharing!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

shonastar 16-05-2012 02:36 PM

Hi madfrozen, the hotplates are real, they came from an old cooker, but I've seen other toy kitchens with hotplates made from old cds or wooden disks painted black. If you were looking for the real thing it might be an idea to ask in an appliance shop, as they accept old cookers for recycling. Thanks again for your very kind words x

Thanks Chris!

regards Shonastar x

snorry 16-05-2012 04:34 PM

omg i love it wish i had your imagination well done its amazing

sparkwell 16-05-2012 08:55 PM

I love the before & after forum and this is the best one ever. You should be really proud of yourself Shonastar. It made me wish I was 3 years old again so I could play with the kitchen!

grissy 16-05-2012 10:41 PM

Wow, this is absolutely amazing, well done, very creative

sunflowergal 19-05-2012 06:23 PM

oh wow thats brilliant :D

shonastar 19-05-2012 07:51 PM

Thanks once again for the lovely comments. Sparkwell, you've caught me out! I can honestly say I love helping her to tidy up her kitchen, much more fun than cleaning the real one lol!

Bubski 19-05-2012 08:54 PM

Fantastic work! Its so pretty, even i want to play with it!

sparkwell 19-05-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shonastar
Thanks once again for the lovely comments. Sparkwell, you've caught me out! I can honestly say I love helping her to tidy up her kitchen, much more fun than cleaning the real one lol!

I knew it!!!

melissabell 20-05-2012 04:32 PM

I can't believe you improved on before!!! Really inspiring and If i'm lucky enough to have a little girl in future i'll be nicking your idea ;)

Really amazing!!!

barney2020 21-05-2012 04:29 PM

great

Brilliant well done, Many hours of fun ahead for some little ones!!!

grissy 21-05-2012 05:25 PM

absolutelt stunning! if you looked in the toy stores, you would never find a better quality for as cheap! thanks for inspiring me to try something similiar for my little boy! :-)

shonastar 21-05-2012 08:03 PM

Thank you all so much! I'm delighted with all the wonderful comments, and if anyone decides to make their own mini kitchen, I would love to see before and after pics!

Leyazile 27-05-2012 09:25 PM

Great talent

Just incredible-far superior to anything you'd find in the toy shops!You have a lucky little girl :) I admire your creativity and effort in your amazing creations/transformations.The chest of drawers you did is fantastic,and the tiled wall has inspired me to smash up old plates/tiles in the hopes of being able to do something that good.Cheers

shonastar 28-05-2012 09:59 AM

Hi Leyazile, thank you for your lovely comment! I'd love to see what you do with the old plates & tiles! x

Gormal 28-05-2012 04:16 PM

That's soooo gorgeous! Definitely the best one I've seen so far and I've seen a good few. Much better than the plastic ones by far.

shibo 28-05-2012 08:06 PM

could not look at this and NOT comment! Fantastic work! You're a cool mum! Well done! Big clap on the back to you. Happy playing to your little daughter and friends.

paprika 28-05-2012 08:41 PM

Well done, it looks pretty amazing!!

TickTock 04-07-2012 12:28 AM

Shonastar, just look what you started...

http://betterafter.blogspot.ie/2012/06/kool-tools.html

shonastar 04-07-2012 07:33 AM

Hi Tick tock! Wow, that website is full of makeovers, my idea of heaven lol! You might just have found me my next project, my neighbour has a 2yr old grandson who would just love the tool table. Thank you so much xxx

TickTock 04-07-2012 09:07 AM

Glad you liked it. Sadly I am no use at DIY but that might be down to too many other things on my mind these days, either that or I'm just plain useless, heehee. I bask in yer shaddahs here! :)

daisybones 06-11-2012 08:25 AM

telephone table

Absolutely gorgeous! Really fabulous job - well done! Love it!

Rachelirl 09-11-2012 01:35 PM

mini kitchen

Well done, it is absolutely fabulous, very cute- your little chef will be the envy of all her friends!!!

:-)

AONB 13-11-2012 08:36 PM

what you have made there should be kept and passed along as a family heirloom. The love, thought and care that went into it is really impressive. SO well done!!!

shonastar 13-11-2012 10:50 PM

Thanks so much to everyone who commented, I appreciate it a lot. My little girl is about as delicate as an elephant, especially when it comes to her toys, so I will admit it's showing signs of wear and tear. Nothing that can't be fixed with a coat of paint and some elbow grease. (It would be more upsetting if it was in pristine condition, gathering dust!!) I do love the comments about it being a family heirloom, but it'll be a miracle if it lasts that long, lol!!Thanks again to everyone who took the time to comment x