JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Green Tips & Green Fingers (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   How can I heat a north facing room cheaply? (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=63980)

Karolankan 08-08-2009 07:05 PM

How can I heat a north facing room cheaply?

We have a spare room on the ground floor which is comfortable to cool in the summer and freezing in the winter despite a double raditior which is operated by an oil fired central heating system. It is set on a timer and is on for a few hours throughout the day & night. In the past we have used an electric fan heater but the ESB bill shot up big time!! I don't want to use a superser because of the condensation it creates.
Has anyone any advice pleeease! Many thanks in advance.

summersun 08-08-2009 07:55 PM

Hi,

What about dry lining the walls?? when we built our house we dry lined the walls with Kingspan insulated sheets, from memory they came in 8x4 sheets , and they were stuck to the wall with an adhsive and plastic type nails... and we have never looked back since....

They get my vote... hope you find something

summersun

Karolankan 09-08-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersun
Hi,

What about dry lining the walls?? when we built our house we dry lined the walls with Kingspan insulated sheets, from memory they came in 8x4 sheets , and they were stuck to the wall with an adhsive and plastic type nails... and we have never looked back since....

summersun

Thanks for your reply summersun.
Our house is a newly built 7 years ago and all the walls are drylined! I can't understand why the room remains so cold when the rest of the house is quite warm.
We use this room to host students, who generally come from very hot climates. The poor devils realy feel the cold.

Scrabble 09-08-2009 12:15 PM

My house is also 7yrs old and can be very cold at times.I think because they were built at the peak of the housing boom some things were overlooked like proper insulation.

When we can my husband plans to put warm board on all the walls,like gable end walls.Friends of ours just finished doing up their house and used warm board and you can really feel the difference.I know it can be expensive but in the long run it will pay for itself.

Regards
Scrabble

yaut 09-08-2009 12:47 PM

ok, I know this is a bit of topic but...
my friend & her hubby bought her house off plans (before it was built) about two years ago. They insisted on extra insulation to be put into the walls, both external and internal. You really can feel it: house is warmer and so much quieter than their neighbours. And it added a massive 500euros to their final house price. In generel builders cut the corners everywhere they can, save time, save material - build cheap, sell expensive. And we have to live in that.
We're renting 10years old house with market value of approx 600,000eur and in my eyes it's not worth even a third of it. it's impossible to heat up in winter, it's noisy, low quality finish and I could on and on and on... When we are ready to buy our own place we're gonna go for a 'project' house and then do it up to our liking and standards. End of rant.

niara 03-11-2010 01:08 PM

wall insulation

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersun
Hi,

summersun

Can you tell me where you bought the sheets? Can you remember how much they cost?

mw100860 03-11-2010 07:57 PM

re insulation

There is also an insulating paint that you can buy, THERMOsomething, can't remember the name of it but I'm sure if you Google it or try some of the bigger paint merchants they be able to help you. I think it was about 50e a can, about 2 years ago

intransit 06-11-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niara
Can you tell me where you bought the sheets? Can you remember how much they cost?

http://www.kingspanpanels.ie/ire/index.htm This is their website, any decent builders merchant would have it.
This is 100% better than the insulating paint which has mixed reviews as to whether it works or not.
Kingspan is excellent stuff, no idea what it costs but well worth it in the long run.

niara 07-11-2010 12:50 PM

insulation

Thanks a million I'll try that out. I