JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Green Tips & Green Fingers (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Green fly. (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=57091)

easyliving 29-05-2009 04:33 PM

Green fly.

Please, please help. Does anyone have any ideas to get rid of green fly? My rose bushes are covered in them and they have already killed one stone dead. I would like to use a natural method. Many, many thanks in advance.
Carmel

alal 29-05-2009 06:03 PM

greenfly

try planting marigolds,they attract hoverflys witch eat greenflys.
or make a garlic spray,crush garlic, leave it to steep in boiling water,let it cool and drown roeses with it.you could plant garlic around the base of roses in december,just separate the cloves and put straight in the ground.
hope this helps,
ally

easyliving 29-05-2009 06:15 PM

Thanks

Thank you for the advice, I will give the both methods a go tomorrow.

jennie 29-05-2009 10:06 PM

Lol your not the only one they were eating the budding flowers off my roses! I got at them the other week with soapy water but after not stop rain & the sun they were back in full swing this week.

... They're dead today tho lol I had cigarette ends soaking in water outside just waiting to get them flies!! poured it into a spray bottle when the water was good & dark there yesterday & bye bye greenfly. That one always works for me lol

easyliving 29-05-2009 10:09 PM

I guess I will have to smoke lots of cigs then, lol....a good excuse though! I will try this also, those dam things are driving me crazy, they seem to get all over me too. Thanks.

jennie 29-05-2009 10:12 PM

Lol the table with the flowers all over it outside smells like one big ash tray but hey it's worth it lol it killed the little buggars.

If it isn't the dogs trying to eat my flowers it's the greenfly & you'd think the dogs would have learned their lesson after they ate the gladiolus!!

thepallasbull 29-05-2009 11:39 PM

dead green fly.....

a simple remedy is soapy water , mix washing up liquid and spray it on works a treat.......
regards
pat

narki 30-05-2009 01:29 AM

green fly

2 Attachment(s)
Try putting some bird feeders in your garden. I have a huge back garden with a good few rose bushes in it and every since I started hanging feeders in the trees and bushes I have not had a problem with green fly, not only that but my garden is always filled with all different birds which is lovely to see and I have some regulars including 2 wood pidgeons and their young and a lone robin that lands in the garden nearly every night at the same time and last week Robbie the Robin (I know very original) landed right beside me and posed for a few shots.

Berlitz 14-06-2009 03:47 PM

Greenfly on roses

We have always soapy water after washing up to protect roses from greenfly.Seems to work.

Athy55 14-06-2009 09:39 PM

Green Fly

Go with the garlic, it works best. Just stick cloves of garlic around base of rose bushes, it really works. I did this last year and had no problems. Today I was sitting out and couldn't believe the amount of green fly around (is this a sign of a good summer?) so I got the garlic cloves out. Guaranteed to keep green fly and Vampires at bay!

Rathfarnham 14-06-2009 10:33 PM

if you can find a few ladybirds put them near the greenfly infested plant, ladybirds LOVE to eat greenfly

Glenurla 15-06-2009 10:00 PM

Greenfly

Ladybirds love greenfyly. You can get ladybird towers from Mr Middleton's garden shop (online) for about 20 euro. They are very pretty and include feed to attract ladybirds to nest.

Maria

petra 15-06-2009 10:46 PM

If you want to go to the expense, Mr Middleton's also sell ladybirds. I usually buy one lot every year and they take care of thr greenfly for the year

64moog 01-01-2010 08:33 PM

Kill That Aphyd

If you wish to go to the trouble, collect as many stinging nettles as you can, liquidize the leaves in some warm water, drain the water, and spray your roses, worked on me spuds. Or grow some garlic amongst the roses.