JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Green Tips & Green Fingers (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Copper Immersion Tank (any ideas for re-using/re-purposing it?) (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=82706)

IRISH_iiiis 14-03-2010 08:06 AM

Copper Immersion Tank (any ideas for re-using/re-purposing it?)

HI ALL I HAVE A COPPER IMMERSION WATER TANK. (found in hot press).
it was recently replaced.
i was wondering has anyone any ideas for re using it as it seems a shame to scrap it.

kind regards

irish_iiiis

will post a pic later

Mandolin 14-03-2010 11:08 AM

copper tank

Hi, someone had the idea on another thread of using a copper tank, cut down, as a planter in the garden. I thought it was a lovely idea, it'll age nicely.
Mandolin

sparkwell 14-03-2010 12:45 PM

Hi Irish iiis

Here is a link to a copper planter suggested by Mandolin

http://www.sportingcollectibles.com/...perplanter.jpg

I'd love one I think it looks great!

Sparkwell

Faroutthere 14-03-2010 03:08 PM

I love the way you "found it" in the hot press!lol
Any ways , yes planter is the best idea for it .Turn it on its side and cut a section of it . Remember to keep away from the bottom and top as it can (not usually but can )buckle in on its self (also depends on the size of the cylinder) the cut out can be halved and then attached to the bottom as legs .
Also , you can just bring it down your local scrap merchant and get some money for it!

Mandolin 14-03-2010 05:02 PM

copper tank

Love that planter Sparkwell! another idea my Dad had was to flatten out a piece and put it (i think it was nailed, roofers use copper nails) on a candle sconce (is that what it's called?) as a reflector. He polished it up and it looked gorgeous. Think I might start scavenging for copper cylinders myself now...
Mandolin

TickTock 14-03-2010 10:08 PM

Copper Immersion Tank

Recently replaced ours. Was wondering what to do with it but after the new bathroom was installed I discovered the plumbers had taken it away with all the other rubbish. Maybe they had some ideas for it. So if anyone is looking for any more of these just contact a plumber, they must come across a lot of them. Wonder what they do with them? Copper must be worth a bit!

IRISH_iiiis 15-03-2010 09:21 PM

Hi all

Hi all,
and thank you for the briliant suggestions... i did however think of a planter but in a different way. i was going to drill/cut holes in the tank big enough to hold small potted plants... but as suggested it mite buckle...and dont want to ruin it!!!!
thanks sparkwell that planter looks great...
also thanks mandolin, tick tock (cool name) and antbody else who has replied.

plumbers take these and scrap them as they are worth a few bob especially if you collect a few of them... maybe thats why they all drive new vans... please keep the suggestions coming..
Many thanks & king regards
irish_iiiis

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai 16-03-2010 12:14 AM

copper tank

Hi, was in a house recently and they had one full of turf beside the range. Basically same as planter but indoor use for it. I did cut one open before-intended using it in the garden-easy enough to do and flattened out nicely. was going to make a wall decoration by drilling lots of little holes in a pattern and attaching copper roofing nails/studs but got too busy and gave it away. Cheers Eibh.

denkarma 16-03-2010 12:56 AM

Hi if you are worried about it buckling from cutting or drilling fill it with sand/mosspeat from the top and block the outlets at the sides. if you use mosspeat wet it when nearly full and it should become more solid.

Mandolin 16-03-2010 09:08 AM

Copper tank

I asked a plumber and he reckons €20 tops for a scrap tank - hardley worth the drive! M.

kilk 06-08-2011 02:35 PM

i was at a craft show recently and one of the exhibitors was making dustpans from old copper cylinders. looked very well too!

mw100860 06-08-2011 08:37 PM

Copper is worth a fortune now!

crystal32 07-08-2011 05:38 PM

I was reading in an organic gardening book that old copper tanks make great planters (not only because they look lovely & its great to re-use it and not to waste)... because slugs hate copper! Apparently it gives them a shock so they wont touch it!.... I'm going to invest in some copper during the week to protect my veggies out there!
the best of luck with your project!
Crys
x